Marathon Hamachi Group

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

For those of you who don't know what hamachi is, it's a LAN simulator that works by setting up hamachi groups to join over the net. If you ever get tired of sitting in mariusnet waiting for someone to come in that can host a game when there's players on board, this is a decent alternative because anybody can successfully host a game with this method.

First, you get LogMeIn hamachi 2 here. Get unmanaged mode, because that's free and doesn't come with a bunch of fluff.
Once you got it running, go to network -> join existing network and join the marathon hamachi group.

Group name: marathon2012
Password: 123

(I'm not the guy who made the password, and it's terribly uncreative. 1+2+3 doesn't even equal 7.)

You might see some members in there. They'll have a number next to their machine name that resembles an IP address. If you look up near the top, you'll see your machine name and it has one of these numbers too! What does it mean? Well, it's exactly what you would guess: it's a virtual IP address.

So when you're chattin up the members of the group and somebody wants to host a game, go into aleph one (or maybe you're not using a source port if you're really hardcore), join network game, and check join by IP. That's right, Join by IP. DON'T look for internet games. It doesn't work that way. Enter the host's virtual IP number, and Join.

And that's it!

(but seriously, try doing this with the original Marathon 1 which was only LAN and/or modem based and I guarantee it will work.)
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Jan 7th '12, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

VikingBoyBilly wrote:(I'm not the guy who made the password, and it's terribly uncreative. 1+2+3 doesn't even equal 7.)
However, 1+(2x3) does equal 7!
Last edited by brilliant on Jan 7th '12, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Took forever to get in.

It is a lowercase "m"
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

heh heh, silly me, it's case-sensitive [MTongue]
treellama
Vidmaster

If you can't find games in the one central location Aleph One uses, what makes you think it will improve anything to set up a second location, potentially removing players from the first?

Please don't fragment the community.
Nordevai
Born on Board

I'd have to agree with Treellama here. It may seem like a good idea and a reasonable alternative for now, but when the (fun?) and (excitement?) has run out you'll have only divided the multiplayer community.

Could be wrong, but that's just what I see happening.
interion
Cyborg

VikingBoyBilly wrote:If you ever get tired of sitting in mariusnet waiting for someone to come in that can host a game when there's players on board, this is a decent alternative because anybody can successfully host a game with this method.
Is this really still a problem?

If only we had... DEDICATED SERVERS.

Because I'd totally host 24/7 One Way 2 for everyone.
Image Image
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

If you have a Mac, get the mariusnet widget. I check that to see if there's anybody playing before even opening Aleph One. Or I did that when I used to play... [MWuh]
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

If everyone checked to make sure people were playing before using the game to actually drop in, then nobody would end up playing. Think about it. It's better to check by actually dropping in.