Grow up.

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The Pfhorums is not the playground at some elementary school. You have nothing to gain by getting into petty pissing contests. I'm going to start issuing warnings (and, by extension, suspensions) to people who repeatedly bring up childish arguments.

It doesn't matter that So-And-So is more rude than Thus-And-Such, or that Some Guy is being a total jerk or whatever. Grow up. There's a certain level of maturity that's expected of you. If you want to get into shouting matches about who's more annoying over the microphone, for example, do it in the Pigeon Lounge so the rest of us don't have to see it.
Macsforever

This should have been posted a long time ago. Plus some people here are still in elementary school XD
tux0beliver
Cyborg

Jerk.
Macsforever wrote:What? This topic is pointless and moronic, go rape an eight year old next time.
Click here to report this sick pedo.
Longinus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I really hope people will follow what you said RyokoTk, these forums seem to be getting more and more childish by the day.
- - - Marathon fan since 1994 - - -
Switch
Vidmaster

Longinus wrote:more and more childish by the day.
Well you must be new, we've come a long way in two years. [MSmile] ( just don't go in the Pigeon Lounge )
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Well you must be new, we've come a long way in two years.
It's true, but at the same time we're losing some ground. Civility isn't that much to ask for.
Jerk.
no u
Drictelt
Vidmaster

I dont see the link between antirudenessness and childishness...
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
Drake's Temp account

This should have been posted a long time ago. Plus some people here are still in elementary school XD
To my understanding, this doesn't change what goes on in the PL. So, come August, [terminator voice] I'll be back [/terminator voice]

I dont see the link between antirudenessness and childishness...
It obliges the rude person to respond and then you get a rather childish argument.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Hey Drake, when you get suspended, it's not a great idea to make another account called "Drake's Temp Account."
Lugas
Vidmaster

That's just childish, Drake! Seriously, RyokoTK suspended you for a reason...and making a new account only made things worse.
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

this place sure is getting childish at some points, which explains why i don't hang out here barely anymore. I do log in sometimes, like once or twice a week and take a quick glance over the new stuff but I usually don't reply anymore. I hang out at the story forum now more though, it's perhaps more "dead" and so on, but at least it's free of internet fights and what not.

heck, why am i replying here right now...
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

@Drake: at least dont use your identity. I mean, common, seriously!

@Johannes I know the feeling
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Jun 24th '07, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

but at least it's free of internet fights and what not.
The Story Forums are hardly free of internet fights. It's just that it's hidden behind a mask of respectability since it's populated, in theory, by adults.
tux0beliver
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:no u
no u
Macsforever wrote:What? This topic is pointless and moronic, go rape an eight year old next time.
Click here to report this sick pedo.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

tux0beliver wrote:no u
no both of u
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

alright we all need a spanking
Zott
Vidmaster

Sigh*
Attachments

[The extension wav has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
goran
Vidmaster

Get rid of the pigeon lounge since it teaches people to behave childish.

Get rid of the warning system and kick out people who misbehave.

Give people who are kicked out a chance to return by sending the admin an email,
where he explain the lessons he has learned. The admin judges his sincerity,
and let him back in if he deserves it.

When people are kicked out, it's ok to ask the admin what his reason was, but it's not
ok to argue about the admins decision and try to make him to change it. If this happens,
the admin may kick out those people.

An easy accessible document of the pfhorums rules is written. When it is updated, people
are informed by mass-private message. These rules are guidelines, and the admin has
the right kick out people who behave in inproper ways that's not written in the rules.

Make sure you have a sound Admin who perform his work idealistically to create a good
atmosphere.

No person should fear these rules. They're easy to follow and only requires you to not
be a dickhead on the pfhorums.
irons
Vidmaster

goran wrote:Get rid of the pigeon lounge since it teaches people to behave childish.
I used to share this idea, but I have since come to appreciate that it allows many of those horrible posts to be concentrated in a single place that I keep hidden and never enter. I think they'd just spread all over the place otherwise.

Give people who are kicked out a chance to return by sending the admin an email,

When people are kicked out, it's ok to ask the admin what his reason was, but it's not
ok to argue
about the admins decision and try to make him to change it. If this happens,
the admin may kick out those people.
I remember a debate about how strict the admins were (or maybe just a single special little admin). I was masquerading as "Qoou" at the time, and I left for a while, revoking my admin privileges, because these people couldn't take my zero-tolerance attitude about stuff like this. From what I've seen, this opinion hasn't changed, so I suggest you just give this up now, or else you'll get as frustrated as I did ;)
An easy accessible document of the pfhorums rules is written.
This is actually pretty easy. There is a feature available on this forum software that allows an admin to post an html-based "rules" page at the top of any given forum/sub-forum/etc. It seems like it would be worthy of linking to in that annoying banner we now have at the top of all forum pages (Welcome, we still play Marathon).
Make sure you have a sound Admin who perform his work idealistically to create a good
atmosphere.
I think most of us will agree that Ryoko is a great admin. I really liked how he permanently banned that xbvbvzxi guy. I hated him.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I used to share this idea, but I have since come to appreciate that it allows many of those horrible posts to be concentrated in a single place that I keep hidden and never enter. I think they'd just spread all over the place otherwise.
That's more or less my opinion, and I crack down on Pigeon Lounge-esque posts that aren't already in that little dungeon.

While I'm a fan of this in general, there's a serious problem. If the only punishment is a ban, then I have to look at all of the existing rules and decide whether or not they go completely unpunished or I drop the banhammer on them. The warning system is good the way it is now, and for some of the more aggressive posters, being suspended is pretty frustrating and annoying. As it is, I've noticed a lot more civility in general ever since I've implemented the warning system, so I like it.
That's the other benefit of the warning system. Anyone who gets banned in this manner absolutely will not be allowed re-entry if I have any say in the matter, because by that point you should know what kind of trouble you're in, and as far as I'm concerned, you must not really want to be allowed back in at that point.
ok to argue about the admins decision and try to make him to change it.
Now that's not fair at all. I'm not completely infallible. While I'm not really inclined to change my rulings in that regard, I'm not going to ban people who appeal the decision anyway.
An easy accessible document of the pfhorums rules is written.
Done.
This is actually pretty easy. There is a feature available on this forum software that allows an admin to post an html-based "rules" page at the top of any given forum/sub-forum/etc.
Still working on that one. Done.
I think most of us will agree that Ryoko is a great admin. I really liked how he permanently banned that xbvbvzxi guy. I hated him.
Thank you for highlighting one of my more progressive acts there, irons. :(
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 2nd '07, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

"While I'm a fan of this in general, there's a serious problem. If the only punishment is a ban, then I have to look at all of the existing rules and decide whether or not they go completely unpunished or I drop the banhammer on them" -Ryoko

Let me clarify the idea

If a member makes a major thing, the admin take action right away. If a member makes a minor thing, or things that are in the gray area, the admin watches him for a while before he makes his decision. However, when the decision is made, it can't be canceled. This is done to make people trust the admin. You can't trust someone who changes his decisions under pressure. Also, it's easy to get back in once kicked out. You only have to have the stomach to admit your rude behaivors and willing to change them. It's the act of kicking them out and letting them take responsibility to get back in that teaches them new behaivor.

All this said, there's no need to change anything if it works as it is now. I visited the pfhorums for the first time in a while and this was the first post I read. I took the freedom to write down my own ideal. I'm happy you found something to take from it.
Last edited by goran on Jul 2nd '07, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

If a member makes a major thing, the admin take action right away.
If someone calls someone else a faggot, that's a pretty severe infraction. Under your system, I would ban him immediately, but then he could petition me to come back in, and assuming I allow him back in (and I probably would, really), then there would be no mark against him in the long run. Under my system, he would have a permanent mark on his account, and once you're banned, that's it, you're fucked.
John Drake
Vidmaster

@Drake: at least dont use your identity. I mean, common, seriously!
But if I were to be caught masquerading and evading a suspend-ing then what? I'd rather just go out honestly.
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

I support being firm and such, but being high-handed (bans without warnings etc) isnt very good for a community that's barely in the three digits.
StoneClench
Cyborg

A) Check the date of the last reply
B) Drake only comes here for the PL, he isn't putting any thing into the community except for the occasional ranting/flaming so I wouldn't actually mind if he were here or not, nothing lost nothing gained... Apart from those occasional ranting/flaming, eh...?
C) I've had my doses of being banned and/or kicked from many things, it does change people (most of the time). You don't see me flaming any more do you? because I want to be able to read all the happenings going on here (which many people do) at any time I want (which is rarely nowadays), It is a privilege to use the Pfhorums, don't abuse it.