Attachments in PMs

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm trying to send a guy an attachment in a PM, but for some reason I can't figure out how to do it. I know I've sent attachments via PM in the earlier version of the Pfhorums, but now I just can't find anything about uploading attachments. I can do it through a post in a thread, but I don't want to; I need to do it through PM. Anybody have any suggestions on what to do, or even any explanations as to what's going on?
Switch
Vidmaster

The old version of the Pfhorums is nothing like the new version of the Pfhorums. The old version was "Invision Power Board," and the new version is PHPBB ( PHP Bulletin Board. ) However, because of your feedback, I have enabled attachments in personal messages in the settings. Does it work now?
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Switch wrote:The old version of the Pfhorums is nothing like the new version of the Pfhorums. The old version was "Invision Power Board," and the new version is PHPBB ( PHP Bulletin Board. ) However, because of your feedback, I have enabled attachments in personal messages in the settings. Does it work now?
Yeah, thanks. Unfortunately my connection is practically dead in the water right now, so I'll have to send it tomorrow. <_<
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

I just tried sending someone a zip file, but the message composer just said the extension 'zip' isn't allowed. I cannot for the life of me understand why this would be, as the most common format through which things are uploaded and downloaded is zip. If anybody could help me get around this inconvenience, or just plain fix it, I would be very much obliged.
Switch
Vidmaster

Thanks. Should work now.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

It works, but what's really weird is there's a 2 MB limit on the files you can send. Unfortunately, I'm trying to send something that, even when compressed, is just over 4 MB large. I pulled out the thing that made it so large, condensing it to a few KB, but it is crucial I send this one thing, so I would appreciate it if the limit was increased, even if it was just to, say, 5 or 6 MB.
Zott
Vidmaster

Are you against slitting the file? Many compressors allow for splitting a zip or rar over many smaller files which could fit under the 2MB limit. (http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/255/)

You might also try hosting the file in question on another site and posting the download link. (Dropbox for example)
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:Are you against slitting the file? Many compressors allow for splitting a zip or rar over many smaller files which could fit under the 2MB limit. (http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/255/)
Which compressor would you recommend? Note that I use Mac OS X rather than Windows.
Zott
Vidmaster

I have no recommendation to give for a Mac OS X program. A web search will probably be more fruitful. There is WinRAR for MAC OS X as a command line, but I haven't used WinRAR without a GUI. It can however split files, assuming functionality is the same.
jonny
Born on Board

PerseusSpartacus wrote:Which compressor would you recommend? Note that I use Mac OS X rather than Windows.
How comfortable are you with the terminal? (The Terminal app, not Marathon terminals!)

Code: Select all

zip -s 1m -r <zip_file_name> <path_to_files>
That will create a zip file of all the files in <path_to_files> and split it into segments of 1 MB each. The resulting files are named with ".z01", ".z02", and so on. Here's a concrete imaginary example:

zip -s 1m -r Grendel.zip /Users/PerseusSpartacus/Documents/Marathon/GrendelFiles/
Couple of notes:
- If any of the directories in the path to your files has a space, put quotes (") around the entire path.
- The files are written to whatever directory you're currently in if not specified as part of zip_file_name. That would be your home directory when first opening a terminal.
- Most directories will have a file named ".DS_Store" in them. It's an annoying file that keeps track of Finder stuff for each directory. You may want to delete it before creating the zip files -

rm /Users/PerseusSpartacus/Documents/Marathon/GrendelFiles/.DS_Store
Look out - he's nuts!
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks for the help, and it did work, but luckily I figured out a far simpler and more practical solution to my problems. See, I'm sending a beta-tester a netmap for Marathon: Grendel that I want him to play around on, but at first it used a modified version of an Infinity texture that vanilla Infinity wouldn't recognize (it fills a separate slot in the Shapes file that doesn't exist in the regular Infinity Shapes file). That was why I thought I had to include a Shapes file that took up 15 MB. I was getting ready to send it when I realized it would be simpler to just use the original version of the Infinity texture, that way he wouldn't need to send his buddies the Shapes file before playing, and could instead just try it out. My bad. Dunno why I didn't think of it sooner.

Once again, thanks for the help anyways. ;)