A Photoshop Question (Kinda)

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
Pfhorsome
Cyborg

I am looking for a good alternative to photoshop, something free, because when I buy, I will probably buy photoshop. I need something for a Mac running OSX and I dont care how easy it is, just that it works and it works pretty well.
I looked around on google, some photographers, etc, and I have come up with Gimpshop.
Haven't tried it yet, but looks promising and I can read hundreds of reviews, blah blah blah.

I am asking you as a fellow creator, is this good for creation of marathon textures/whatever, AND for a picture that I would want to reandomly make or edit a family photo? Is this good? Some better suggestions?
Please and Thank You.

I'm not sure this is in the right section either, feel free to move it.
megabyte
Vidmaster

Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Pfhorsome
Cyborg

Ahh, much better. Thank you. Do you recommend this for everything or for basic stuff and keep Gimp for more advanced stuff, or what?
megabyte
Vidmaster

i havent really used much
i was doing photo doctoring with it and it worked pretty well
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
[viral]
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I would actually go the extra mile and get photoshop, if you are hoping to make marathon textures. Visciom's texture making guide only seems to apply to photoshop users. I've never really used gimp much though, but Visciom has never recommended I use it.
megabyte
Vidmaster

Pfhortipfhy wrote:Try Maya PLE (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index...&id=7635018) or Blender (http://www.blender.org/)
A little conversation with visci I had the other day.
both of those are 3d modeling suites not photo editing tools
Favorite quote
[viral]
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

moar lense falir plox
Mordekai
Cyborg

Photoshop Elements. It's a lot cheaper, but still pretty powerful.
Pfhorsome
Cyborg

Well, my problem is I want photoshop, I definitely think its worth it, but I don't have 1000 bucks :(.

I would rather wait, but I did look at elements, It is great, but I wold ather save up and get photoshop ASAP.
Seashore works well, I haven't tried GIMP, and at the rate I'm going, I have some time before I need anything as powerful (if you know what I mean) as photoshop.
Switch
Vidmaster

Pfhorsome wrote:Well, my problem is I want photoshop, I definitely think its worth it, but I don't have 1000 bucks :(.
You a student?

http://www.studica.com/products/product_de...productid=53050
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Just don't even think about getting a torrent. The authorities are watching you.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Tommy-TBone wrote:Just don't even think about getting a torrent. The authorities are watching you.
Yes. Legality ftw is a very good thing. (Sorry about the slip)
Last edited by Phortiphy on Jan 27th '08, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
Major Pedro
Cyborg

Tommy-TBone wrote:Just don't even think about getting a torrent. The authorities are watching you.
so may I bring to your attention internet cafe's, careless wireless internet owners with comfortable front gardens, proxy servers and computers borrowed from friends?

[edit] but seriously, there is no substitute for photoshop. you probably know someone with the installer disks.
Last edited by Major Pedro on Aug 5th '08, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Coraxus
Cyborg

While there's sort of an open-source version of Photoshop out there called GIMP, I found one that could be very promising even though they might have a demo, but you might wanna check it out. It's called Pixelmator.
Kidtofu
Cyborg

I would get Photoshop if i was you. I mean, i don't really use it much besides to edit my photos into avatars, but its pretty powerful and can do almost any job (can't Rip Atoms out of an ice cream cone)
Last edited by Kidtofu on Aug 14th '08, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!
Dodopod
Cyborg

can't Rip Atoms out of an ice cream cone
It can rip pixels out of an ice cream cone photograph.

But if you aren't using it for any heavy duty art functions (and it doesn't look like you are) your best bet is probably GIMP or GIMPshop if you already use Photoshop frequently (at work, school, etc.).
Last edited by Dodopod on Aug 15th '08, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Counter Attack on the Meta