Shapeways + Marathon = Awesome

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
fracai
Born on Board

Just got these today from Shapeways.com.
I ordered 2 of the keychain and the detail is just awesome. I still need to add a cable or something through the loop.

The map export required quite a bit of work to correct some non-manifold connections and the Map Exporter treats doors and platforms kinda funky, but I think I sorted them out.
I don't think I'll be doing any more any time soon. Though it does look simply awesome. Doesn't sit flat though, it'll need a stand :)

Fortunately, the 5-D portions weren't an issue for printing as I feared after submitting.

I ordered during a 66% discount on the black material, otherwise it'd be a bit up there.
I've been playing around with a version that includes text on the side. Must ... resist ... spending ... money.

Only one hundred were ever forged...
i am jack's amusing sig file
Satellite Lot :: Second Summer
VirtualX1
Cyborg

Jeez... how much did that thing cost you?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
fracai
Born on Board

Each keychain was around $11. That was with the discount though, now it'd be up at something like $30. The map was and still is about $8.50. It's likely that I could have hollowed out the keychains to dramatically drop the price, but I'm not sure how strong they'd be then.

If it wasn't for the complexity of correcting manifold issues I might even print some more maps. Fixing everything in the "tunnels" section of Arrival was quite the headache.

All things considered it's not a bad price for 3d printing, even at $30. Some of the models others have printed are pretty incredible.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

fracai wrote:Just got these today from Shapeways.com.
I ordered 2 of the keychain and the detail is just awesome. I still need to add a cable or something through the loop.
Holy shit, that's incredible. Why an ugly map like Arrival? Why not G4 Sunbathing, Aye Mak Sicur or Acme Station? Those would look top-notch as keychains.
Embrace imagination.
Major Pedro
Cyborg

chinkeeyong wrote:Holy shit, that's incredible. Why an ugly map like Arrival? Why not G4 Sunbathing, Aye Mak Sicur or Acme Station? Those would look top-notch as keychains.
Aye Mak Sicur would be amazing, especially if you got all the elevations in, unlike the rather flat Arrival. It could be a fashion statement, you could put in LED's to simulate the gravity field generators [MSmile]
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

M2's Citadel of Antiquity level and many of Eternal's levels would also make freaking awesome keychains.
Embrace imagination.
irons
Vidmaster

No one even mentioned One Way 2. For God's sake.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
fracai
Born on Board

To be honest I wasn't sure how the map would come out so I figured I'd just pick the first level. Acme Station did occur to me, but I was afraid it'd be too fragile and wouldn't make the shipping. As for G4, I wasn't sure how I wanted to handle all of the sections and couldn't remember specifically what was open to space. I had to rush to get it in before the discount ended.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

OMG! THIS THREAD IS EVERYWHERE!