Gorans Highres Infinity Textures

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
Grenth
Born on Board

Crater Creator wrote:10 - There's a vent in the upper left that I don't see at all in the original.
What? I see a vent in the original texture.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Whoops! I think I know what happened - I was switching back and forth to the comparison image, and at some point the window wasn't large enough to show the top of the image; enough to cut off the vent in the original but not enough for me to notice I wasn't looking at the whole texture. Disregard that comment. [MGross]
goran
Vidmaster

Tada! It is finished. If you can run bump maps, don't forget that this plugin now have full bump map support.

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/gorans-water-set-2-0
Last edited by goran on Feb 6th '12, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Fantastic work Goran! By far the most faithful texture set yet!
goran
Vidmaster

I thought I had checked everything, but no, forgot the light on the active switch XD

a 2.01 update will come soon.

EDIT: 2.01 is uploaded.
Last edited by goran on Feb 6th '12, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

Crater Creator how did you reduce textures to one color as you did above? I want to experiment with that as a control for the lava set.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Just for fun, I think I will try reducing Goran's textures to the same resolution as the originals. Wouldn't it be something if the pixelated version matched perfectly?
goran
Vidmaster

ChristTrekker wrote:Just for fun, I think I will try reducing Goran's textures to the same resolution as the originals. Wouldn't it be something if the pixelated version matched perfectly?
Don't forget to change colors to marathons color table (256 colors).
goran
Vidmaster

Started working on the lava set 2.0
Attachments
AConvertedChurchinVeniceItaly_0001.jpg
AConvertedChurchinVeniceItaly_0001.jpg (457.82 KiB) Viewed 9066 times
goran
Vidmaster

The water set is waiting for an update with animated water.

More work on the lava set:
Attachments
AConvertedChurchinVeniceItaly_0007.png
AConvertedChurchinVeniceItaly_0007.png (823.39 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
goran
Vidmaster

Here it is. The water set with animated water. Please comment.
Also, this is the first time I use a shapes patch in the plugin. I hope everything works.

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/gorans-water-set-2-0

I used a program called "caustics generator free" if someone is curious of how it was done.
Last edited by goran on Feb 13th '12, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

goran wrote:Also, this is the first time I use a shapes patch in the plugin. I hope everything works.
You shouldn't need a shapes patch to animate a texture. I'll have a look tonight and see what's up!
Last edited by treellama on Feb 13th '12, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Goran I wonder if in the future you'd be interested in doing high-res textures for Phoenix. The large majority of those textures are based off of M2/Infinity textures, so you could certainly use this stuff as a basis.
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

The shapes patch seems to be working. The animated texture is cool, but ridiculously bright compared to your previous one. Was this just a test to see if the idea of an animated liquid worked? I'd love to see this done for the classic water texture from your last set.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
goran
Vidmaster

@ryoko
Yes in the future I would be honoured to make high-res textures for phoenix. It may take a while before I'm done with the 2.0 infinity upgrade. A year or so.

@treellama
If you could make it easier to animate textures that would be good. It is not so obvious that you need to add frames to the shapes file to make it work.

@president people
Thanks for the feedback. You're right that I posted 2.1 early to get feedback. Editing an animated texture with 24 frames takes 30-60 min. I aim to make one update later and make it right.
Last edited by goran on Feb 13th '12, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

goran wrote:Yes in the future I would be honoured to make high-res textures for phoenix. It may take a while before I'm done with the 2.0 infinity upgrade. A year or so.
That's fine, there's no rush whatsoever. It's just that there's a fair bit of demand for it, and judging by your Infinity textures Phoenix would look really great.
Dugit
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:high-res textures for Phoenix
I don't suppose it would be too difficult to have the XBLA monsters put in too (alongside hi-res landscapes and scenery)? As I recall, herecomethej2000 uploaded an XBLA monsters plugin for Infinity, and as most of the monsters in Phoenix use color tables already present in Infinity it shouldn't be too difficult...?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
goran
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:I don't suppose it would be too difficult to have the XBLA monsters put in too (alongside hi-res landscapes and scenery)? As I recall, herecomethej2000 uploaded an XBLA monsters plugin for Infinity, and as most of the monsters in Phoenix use color tables already present in Infinity it shouldn't be too difficult...?
PLease take this discussion to another thread or pm.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

goran wrote:PLease take this discussion to another thread or pm.
Not necessary, I'll end the discussion here: I hate the XBLA monsters, I think they look hideous, I will never implement them in Phoenix.
Dugit
Vidmaster

RyokoTK wrote:Not necessary, I'll end the discussion here: I hate the XBLA monsters, I think they look hideous, I will never implement them in Phoenix.
Ah. I see your point. :)
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

goran wrote:Crater Creator how did you reduce textures to one color as you did above? I want to experiment with that as a control for the lava set.
I selected all the pixels of a texture (easy if you set up a grid and snap to it) and ran an average filter to fill it with one color.

I've been using Water 2.0 since you posted it. There's definite improvement in the diffuse maps. But just as it took multiple iterations to get the diffuse maps where they are now, I think the bump maps are at a '1.0' stage. Basically, the bump maps carve out the geometric shapes in the textures - this panel is inset, this tile has a groove, and so on. That's a good start, and it's the deepest, most noticeable variation for the bump map to provide. You can take it to the next level by using the bump maps to enhance the surface properties of the materials. In other words, use the bump to show the texture of the surfaces, be they rough, smooth, pebbly, sandy, fibrous, brushed, etc.

I've only looked at them in-game so far. So it's possible you're already doing this, and the details are simply lost in an engine without directional lighting.

I look forward to seeing what you can do with animated liquids, although 24 frames of a 512x512 is going to take a lot of texture memory!
goran
Vidmaster

Thanks for the info!

The bump maps in the lava set are slowly evolving in the direction you talk about Crater Creator. I will try experiment more with surface styles and materials as you suggest. I think you're onto something there in your analysis. =)

@ 24 frame water animation

The water animation takes as much memory as six 1024x1024 textures. I hope this helps to put it in perspective. Please do compare with ttep's full set of 1024x1024 textures.
Last edited by goran on Feb 14th '12, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

goran wrote:@treellama
If you could make it easier to animate textures that would be good. It is not so obvious that you need to add frames to the shapes file to make it work.
I misremembered the MML. You do need to add frames, so a shapes patch is necessary.
goran
Vidmaster

I know some people have wanted this to be wood for a while. To make it look good I got rid of some of the illogical patterns. What do you think?
Attachments
015.png
015.png (327.67 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
Last edited by goran on Feb 15th '12, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

What? None of the L'howon textures are wood