Gorans Highres Infinity Textures

Show off all of your Marathon-related art and music here.
CryoS
Vidmaster

looking good goran, looking real good.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
treellama
Vidmaster

brilliant wrote:Yes, that worked! I tested all the settings in that field, and any setting below the High setting will not crash, and any setting above the High setting still crashes. Thank you, I will look over those settings more closely next time.
Using the "High" setting means you are using 256x256 textures instead of goran's default 512x512. So, you were probably running out of texture memory. OpenGL guarantees that this won't happen: the drivers must manage texture memory for you. But, Intel.

At least we've got your back!
goran
Vidmaster

Tycho VII have helped me out with bitmap 12, by giving the letters a more rough look. I hope you like it. I was impressed enough to ask him about his technique, and got some good advice as well as his set of PS brushes. :)
Attachments
012.png
012.png (345.87 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
Last edited by goran on Sep 17th '11, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

That looks great, I'm impressed.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

goran wrote:I was impressed enough to ask him about his technique, and got some good advice
It would be cool if you asked him here for the benefit of the community.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

$lave wrote:That looks great, I'm impressed.
Agreed.
Last edited by brilliant on Sep 18th '11, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack
treellama
Vidmaster

Those glyphs are a little too rough for my tastes.

More importantly, though, I dislike the look of some of the internal segments: many of the individual pixels really stand out. For example, you have some light gray pixels by themselves in a dark gray background, and the other way around.

This isn't keeping with the look of the rest of your textures, which look very natural and well-blended.
goran
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:Those glyphs are a little too rough for my tastes.

More importantly, though, I dislike the look of some of the internal segments: many of the individual pixels really stand out. For example, you have some light gray pixels by themselves in a dark gray background, and the other way around.

This isn't keeping with the look of the rest of your textures, which look very natural and well-blended.
Thanks for the feedback. I will take a closer look at it and see if I can tweak it.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Once again, it'll take time to write up comments on every texture, but here's a comparison image for the sewage set. This time it's a jpg at very high quality; hopefully the effects of compression are negligible.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/219/s...comparison.jpg/ (1.8MB image)
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2082/sewagecomparison.jpg (direct link)
goran
Vidmaster

Now I have to be rude. Can you do the lava set before the sewage set?
Last edited by goran on Oct 23rd '11, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Yeah; I realized halfway into it that lava comes before sewage as far as the collections are labeled in the Shapes file. Luckily, this is yet another case where doing it again was an opportunity to get more efficient at using Photoshop, so I was able to put this together pretty quickly.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/lavacomparison.jpg/ (1.8MB image)
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6167/lavacomparison.jpg (direct link)

To be clear, I'm posting the comparison images instead of keeping them to myself to serve as a reference for whoever else wants to offer feedback.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

So, about those lava textures...

0 & 1 - See my comments on the water version as many elements are shared here. In the upper right quadrant, the grooves in the woodwork are in different places. In the upper left quadrant, I see the biggest of the concentric rings as a shallow depression rather than a beveled inset. Also in that quadrant, the lights if anything should be smaller than the originals, not bigger, since bloom will make them seem bigger.

2 & 3 - The new textures seem darker than the old ones. The inactive ones have that diamond-shaped patch of color at 11 o'clock again. Especially in the new red and purple, it looks like the bright colored ring is superimposed over the background. I personally don't think making it semitransparent works well. Also, I notice in the originals that the space around the colored ring is bright in the lower right corner, whereas yours is bright in the upper left corner. I believe based on that that the colored ring sits in an indentation, instead of a raised ring. While I'm looking at those highlights, yours are whiter than the originals.

4 - Hmm, the pattern buffer's closer to the water version in the originals than I thought. If you make the same changes you're making to the water pattern buffer, this'll be pretty spot on. Oh, and English might make more sense than S'pht for the green text; it's certainly open to debate.

5 - Like in some other textures, yours looks more fibrous to me, like tree bark. However, it's hard to say what the original texture is supposed to be.

6 - I never noticed the circle-and-octagon texture in this texture before; it's very subtle. Overall this has good contrast but is darker than the original. Also note some discoloration in the center right area of the original.

7 - The darker stripe at the top has some lighting variation that's not in the new. I still think the S'pht text, if it can be called that, needs to be smooth and rounded, as if someone chiseled it out of sandstone. It would have been easy to make nice sharp horizontal and vertical lines, so the original artist must have deliberately chosen to make it softer. Also, there are two vents at the bottom which in the original have a lighting effect, going from dark at the top to lighter at the bottom. In the new, these vents look to be at uniform brightness. Lastly, the brighter red rectangle in line with these vents is bisected by a faint line in the original.

8 - This is one of the uglier original textures in my view. In theory it transitions straight-forwardly between two other textures, but it's hard to make work well. No specific comments other than the fibrosity mentioned in 5.

9 - I think the N shape is darker than the original, and also note the lighting effect going from dark to light in the bottom half of the vertical piece. A texture like this is going to be used for walls and not floors and ceilings 99.9% of the time, so it's especially acceptable to make it look lit from above.

10 - The original has a secondary, almost plaid pattern going on, but with bloom you might not even see the difference. The original has some bluish-gray to it, which seems even more pronounced when you see it in a level since the other lava textures are warm.

11 - Sorry to keep harping on this, but the biggest difference I see is in the beveling. In the upper half, the bevel is nicely rounded in the horizontal and vertical dimensions, but the depth dimension is still sharp. In cross section, it would look like ____/¯¯¯¯, whereas to my mind the original looks like ____Æ?¯¯¯¯, ignoring the crossbar. I know how I'd do this in 3D but it seems trickier to accomplish in Photoshop if you're using the bevel layer effect. The closest I got was to duplicate the layer, and do an outer bevel on one and an inner bevel on the other. It's the outer bevel that I miss in your textures.

12 - The design's somewhat different, more stringy perhaps, but to my mind it's less important for liquids to match the specific pattern and more important to capture the feel of the liquid, which this texture does well. The unfortunate thing is a lot of scenarios give lava a light of 0 to make it glow, so the effect of the glow map will go largely unnoticed. Even though it's unrealistic, I like that the lava has transparency - it's just cool to peer through and make out any items, corpses, and whatnot that are down there.

13 - This looks darker than the original, especially the middle-right darkest part. Perhaps you're making it dark to make the pattern less apparent? The vents again don't have the brightness change, but I'd say it's less important here since this texture is used mostly for trim, and isn't oriented the same way for a wall like 7 is. The bevel could stand to be smoothed.

14 - Not much to say that hasn't been said before. It's more fibrous than I expected it would be. The original doesn't have white highlights on the bottom edges of the grooves.

15 - See comments on water 14

16 - Very nice. Too many scratch marks going in the same direction may make give the impression of cement, but as long as it tiles over large areas well, I'd say it hits the mark.

17 - The outermost, whitish frame around the whole texture seems shallower and the edges rounder in the original. I don't really see the bands as faded S'pht text, but it works. I also notice some yellowish discoloration in the original; it could be intentional or it could be an artifact of working in 256 colors.

18 - The black background looks darker than the original, with duller highlights. The detail behind the pipes is mostly lost. The fine grooves in the wood could use an outer bevel to better match the contours and brightness of the original (note the highlights aren't pure white either).

19 - Interesting. Unlike water 17 and 28, this original texture doesn't seem to have the highlights on the sides of the grooves. I think that's why when the original texture repeats, the circle-and-octagon pattern is less noticeable and it's mostly just the random scratches that dominate.

20 - Very good overall, I just think the grooves are a little too perfect. I would round those corners some, again as if they were hand-carved out of rock.

21 - This looks darker than the original. The border where the top and bottom halves meet, and the circular trim in the center, is distinctly gray in the original whereas in the new one it's nearly the same shade of brown. The paint looks to have worn off on the plate at the bottom, but again in the new one it's a pretty uniform brown. The vertical lights look to be inlaid in a narrow frame in the original, but with bloom it may not be worth reproducing that.

22 - looks excellent, nothing really deviates enough to be worth singling out.

23 - It's not quite right but it's hard to figure out why. Maybe the original is in higher relief? In the grooves in the original, a pink color shows through.

24 - I think the dark splotches are more toned down in the original, but by and large this looks good like 22.

25 - The original has strands of pinkish organic matter creeping down out of the black vertical strip, but the new doesn't have this. In the original, the S'pht text has almost the same pinkish color, whereas it's nearly black in the new. Also, that S'pht text is noticeably more rounded in the original.

26 - Same comments as 25.

27 - I'm pretty sure the whole texture is offset horizontally by half from where it's supposed to be.

28 - It looks like the original features blacker blacks. It'd also be cool to get more of that irregular pattern of rectangles in there, which you've captured so well in water 28.

29 - Like 25 and 26, the alien plant scum is pinkish in the original, but nearly colorless here. I think the pink looks good in these otherwise drab textures. The bottom of the circle (technically the middle of the texture) looks darker than in the original.
goran
Vidmaster

Hey Crater, thanks for the input. I haven't worked on my new water set for a long time. Sat down a couple of hours today and worked on the switches. I hope you all like the improvements!
Attachments
switch.jpg
switch.jpg (237.84 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
Last edited by goran on Dec 17th '11, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Awesome work, Mr. Svensson. The level of detail is more consistent, which makes them seem more tangible. You've done a much better job of drawing the eye to the key distinguishing shapes of the texture -- I find the new versions easier to visually parse. It's great to see your development and improvement as a texture artist!
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
President People
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hopper wrote:Awesome work, Mr. Svensson. The level of detail is more consistent, which makes them seem more tangible. You've done a much better job of drawing the eye to the key distinguishing shapes of the texture -- I find the new versions easier to visually parse. It's great to see your development and improvement as a texture artist!
What he said. [MUp]

I like how you handled the blocky shades of color, which seemed like nothing more than blending colors. I wonder then, what you've done with texture 06 (What the switches are set into in the originals). Will it be getting the block treatment as well?

Here's the above comparison with the original added.
Attachments
Water___New__Orig__Old.png
Water___New__Orig__Old.png (700.68 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
Last edited by President People on Dec 17th '11, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!
goran
Vidmaster

@ hopper

Thanks for the thoughtful words. :)

@ president people

I'm glad you like it. 06 don't have the block treatment, but hey, who knows? Maybe in version 3.0 ;) .....(If I ever get that far lol)
Last edited by goran on Dec 18th '11, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

bla bla bla
Attachments
recharge.png
recharge.png (361.71 KiB) Viewed 8418 times
Last edited by goran on Dec 26th '11, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

work left:

3 bump maps 1 bump map
broken wires

I should be able to finish this before 2012

Took a test run today with bump maps on. I'm very happy with with the results of the 2.0 makeover and I can't wait to show it to you guys.
Last edited by goran on Dec 28th '11, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

awesome! can't wait! [MSmile]
treellama
Vidmaster

How are these coming? Should we wait to include them in 1.0.1?
goran
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:How are these coming? Should we wait to include them in 1.0.1?
I could get them ready to the weekend if you want them in the 1.0.1 release. Your call if you want to wait.
Last edited by goran on Jan 10th '12, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Hmm. Guess I'd better write up feedback on the other sets soon then. (Though I don't kid myself - goran's the one doing the work.)
treellama
Vidmaster

goran wrote:I could get them ready to the weekend if you want them in the 1.0.1 release. Your call if you want to wait.
This weekend or next would be good, if you think that's possible. Otherwise, we'll pick them up for 1.1.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Crater Creator wrote:Once again, it'll take time to write up comments on every texture, but here's a comparison image for the sewage set. This time it's a jpg at very high quality; hopefully the effects of compression are negligible.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/219/s...comparison.jpg/ (1.8MB image)
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2082/sewagecomparison.jpg (direct link)
Feedback on sewage set textures:

00 & 01 - A lot of these textures have green slime on them, including these two. Your slime looks more caked on, like paint. The originals look more like the slime is strands of dried out algae or seaweed. I guess the operative difference is the original slime is more stringy and has depth. Yours has a distinct, intensely blue dot in the upper right quadrant, which is much more eye catching than the original; I suspect it would stand out even more in the context of a level, where so many textures are drab green. In the bottom right quadrant, I interpret the black display to be a bar graph, which shows some bars still giving a low reading in the off image. It seems you interpreted those few gray pixels to be text, e.g. "system offline". I suggest having both the text and the low-level bars in the off image. Color-wise, notice how in the original the top part of the bottom left quadrant is off white, and the top of the upper left quadrant is more solidly white. In yours they appear to be nearly the same color. In the bottom right of the bottom right quadrant, note the emblem isn't glowing in the on or off original. The off image to me looks dented in; to me this part of the texture, as well as the square to its immediate left and the topmost rectangle above that, are this texture set's substitute for wires - the 01 version shouldn't look off so much as it looks destroyed.

02 & 03 - In the originals, the ring is horizontally bisected, even when on. The light in the upper right of the oxygen refueler is cyan, not white, and the bezel around it is thicker. Of course one could argue either of those are artistic license. As in previous sets, the off shield rechargers have a diamond-shaped chip at 11 o'clock. To my eyes, in the originals the colored rings are inset, but yours look embossed (raised instead of indented). It looks like at least the yellow recharger has a glow on it. I like this glow, and wouldn't be afraid to make it stronger, though the actual glow channel may already accomplish this. The inner, gray circles look a lot flatter to me than how you have them. Each recharger has a square frame around it, which seems more pronounced in the originals than in yours - again, one can argue this is just because they had to be at lower resolution.

04 - I think you could match the lighting of the dark red bubble more closely. In the lower left quadrant, I interpret the upper display as displaying a corrupted, jumbled mess of characters, somewhat like some of Leela's messages as she's breaking down in Marathon 1, or like this. The green terminal I've interpreted to be in English, given the color and logo. Of course that creates the conundrum of what it should say, and if there's any text that wouldn't distract or not be appropriate for one situation or another.

05 - I think this has come up before. There's a pattern of circles and octagons that barely shows through in the original but shows through strongly in yours. I think you've faded out that pattern quite a bit, but the reason it still stands out is because the line work is so sharp. If the shapes were to spread out over more pixels, they would have less definition and thus blend into the whole more. Also, to my eyes the highlights in the original have a yellowish cast to them. This could well be an artifact of 256 colors, but replicating it in your image might turn out nicely.

06 - Same thing about the circle & octagon pattern. In this one the inset rounded rectangle seems even subtler than in 05 the original, but in yours that highlight makes it stand out.

07 - For the inner, green square, I think you're spot on with the exception of the larger black vertical bars - you can see in the comparison image they don't quite line up. In the beige background, there's the sharply defined circle & octagon pattern again, but there are two things I think are missing. First, it looks to me like this part uses water texture #13 as a baseline, with the same kind of vertical grain. Secondly, there's a faint pattern of blocky green shapes layered on top of that, particularly over the horizontal band.

08 - Spot on with the subtly raised square in the center. It looks like your vertical bars are somewhat darker than the original, but it doesn't look bad. On this one I don't think it'd be necessary to recreate the pattern of bits you can make out from other textures - it's pretty clear they just needed some subtle variation from a solid color, and so long as the general gradient is the same (the original looks darker towards the top; yours not so much), I think this one's good.

09 - See comments on lava texture #09 - as in that texture, the original has a more pronounced lighting effect, going from dark at the top of the inset to light at the bottom. That makes sense, since this texture isn's used on floors and ceilings.

I'll edit when I have time to cover more of the sewage set.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

10 - There's a vent in the upper left that I don't see at all in the original. I think it works, but I'd be worried it would throw off any level that uses that texture in a specific way. That leftmost strip is pretty much a copy of 06, so one could argue mappers should just use 06 when they want that blue strip, but that doesn't work for existing maps. I suppose the thing to do is to see it in context in some levels and see if the vent stands out. Also, the arch shapes seem a touch taller than they are in the original.

11 - Yours is significantly darker than the original; I'd definitely lighten it so it still works in darker levels. I think this is the same basic pattern as water 17 and some others, and like those I miss the subtle checkered pattern.

12 - In the four vertical rounded slots on the left, I think in the original those insets are mostly gray; yours is divided sharply from gray to deep green. In this texture, the circle is more apparent than the octagon, and the circles have distinct inner and outer rings. The top and bottom center of the texture form a nearly complete ring, but your version is missing the inner ring in the upper left quadrant of the circle.

13 - It's harder to critique the liquids, but I do notice the original is more fibrous and reminds me of pond scum. That was probably the best option when semitransparent liquids weren't possible, so perhaps it's time for less-murky sewage.

14 - I remember you saying this one was tricky to get the angle of the stripes right. Well, as I'm sure you're aware the angle doesn't match the original. Again, the circle and octagon pattern is sharply defined and thus stands out more than it did. I also notice some strips of gray in the original, and while the 256 colors has something to do with that, I think it adds to the texture by looking like the paint has worn off in some spots.

15 - I think you use a darker navy than what was there. This is another of those where I see a checkered pattern that's not represented in the new version.

16 - The shape looks right, which is especially important since this texture is usually used for trim. I think it's darker than the original. What I find useful for judging the color matching in these is to run an average filter over the texture or part of the texture. In fact, here's the sewage comparison with that done for every texture:
[attachment=5406:sewagecomparison.png]
Stand-outs are 11, 18, and 25.

17 - See 14.

18 - Good rocky base texture. I'd just try to bring it up to the brightness of the original, and maybe create more illusion of specularity, because the original looks somewhat shiny to me while yours looks matte.

19 - Same as 15 really.

20, 21, & 22 - I really like the yellowish patina you've got in the centers of these. If you look closely at the darker circle in the upper left corner of 20's original, you'll see it's kind of a G shape, not unlike what you have in some of your oxygen rechargers. Your white rectangular lights in 20 and 22 seem to have more pixels of pure white. I'd actually go in the opposite direction, letting a bit more of the texture of the glass come through, especially if the glow map is going to often blow out a lot of the detail anyway. As in other textures, your highlights around the arch shapes seem extra strong and/or white. The bottom of 21 and 22 have significant color variation in the original, with distinct yellows, greens, and beiges, but yours look more muted and blended.

23 - Like in 14 & 17, I see some patches of gray in the original I think would add nice variation. I also see some darker areas that make the texture as a whole look pretty dirty. In yours, I see a pattern of four small blips of darkness.

24 - I think I mentioned this about water 24, obviously a cousin of this texture, that I see the four horizontal strips as gently curved, bowing out from the wall. Yours look flat, with the hard bevels at the edges. Also, while it's very minor the strips in the original are more green on the right and more gray on the left; in yours it looks reversed.

25 - This is another texture that's quite a bit darker than the original. To me the original looks smoother in the big beige band in the middle. The S'pht text, if that's what it is, is also more rounded around the edges. Lastly, in yours the top of the beige band, above the black slot, is dull whereas in the original there's a highlight.

26 - Comments on 23 generally apply here as well. The grooves between tiles look too perfect; they'd look better if they were worn down.

27 - There are bits of rusty orange in the bottom part of the texture which I don't see in the new version. There's a pattern of vertical fibers across the whole texture, probably originating from water 13, which is also absent. I like the recreation of the vent-like doodads on the left side top and bottom.

28 - This one's really good. You've got the metallic quality, the strands of what I'll call algae clinging to the slats, and more. There's a crack at the bottom on the right side you might incorporate.

29 - Good job on the blue 'n' symbol - it looks painted on. You've got a nice gradient on the vertical indentations, going from dark to light. The outermost frame looks unnaturally unworn, and looks a bit pinker in the original. At the top just below the frame, the original has kind of a pattern of darker vertical stripes along it. As in 00 & 01, in yours the green looks like a dusting of green powder more than discrete bits of plant material. The light at the top seems softer in the original, but I'd leave it the way you have it since glow/bloom would make it appear softer.
Attachments
sewagecomparison.png
sewagecomparison.png (24.43 KiB) Viewed 8434 times
Last edited by Crater Creator on Jan 29th '12, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.