Mouse controls

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Corrasion

Treellama, thanks. It explains a lot.
LutiiChell
Spazeroid

I did fiddle around with the controls and got the mouse to work. I guess I am used to games where you touch everything or pick up stuff...like the Myst games..so this one is different. Thanks.
Blackice
Born on Board

I didn't touch the mouse. It feels pretty good to my. The track pad is a whole different story.
CKT1138
Born on Board

The only Issue with the wouse support that I know of is that if you are trying to aim at something VERY far away, you can observe the mouse skipping over areas of the screen, jumping a few pixels at a time, instead of smoothly. This is more visible when you use the zoom key, but otherwise, mouse support is fine.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

That occurs regardless of input device and is an effect of how precisely the engine measures angles.
Dan
Cyborg

In other words (summing up this whole post), please get used to whatever control set you use.
If it's "unplayable", there's probably something y'don't like caused by game limits or by game settings that aren't for you.
If you take some time to get used to the controls, you might pull off a few more frags.
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
keen
Born on Board

treellama wrote:You can, for instance, freely look up/down in ZDoom, which our renderers don't support.
This is actually somewhat untrue.

In ZDoom, you have a software renderer that uses "y-shearing", similar to A1's software renderer. You have limits as to how high or low you can pitch up or down...and to be honest, A1's renderer handles distortions caused by y-shearing alot better than ZDoom.

Now then, GZDoom, the openGL enabled port of ZDoom can do "perfect" mouse looking (i.e. straight up/straight down with no distortion), but that's because it's an OpenGL based true 3D renderer.

Either way, I will note that even as a (G)ZDoom player, after tweaking A1's sensitivity and writing some MML for FOV preferences, A1 is definitely playable.

ZDoom y-shearing

GZDoom not y-shearing
Blastfrog
Cyborg

Treellama, I want to apologize for the presumptuous attitude I displayed when I made this thread a few years ago. I understand the problem much better now.

I have a potential (and frankly hacky) solution up my sleeve that would preserve demo and multiplayer compatibility. The basic idea is to have a virtual "proxy mouse" with hi-res and non-capped movement, and an aimbot (not intended or functional for cheating) that automatically handles the real controls to move the aim to the virtual proxy mouse's position as quickly as it can.

I just have to get off my ass and code it already. I'm awfully lazy, however.
keen wrote:A1's renderer handles distortions caused by y-shearing alot better than ZDoom.
That's only because ZDoom uses a larger range, the effect is all the same.
keen wrote:Now then, GZDoom, the openGL enabled port of ZDoom can do "perfect" mouse looking (i.e. straight up/straight down with no distortion), but that's because it's an OpenGL based true 3D renderer.
That's not necessarily true. In Doom, pixels are 1.2 times taller than they are wide, because the DOS version of the game ran at 320x200 displayed in a 4:3 ratio. With y-shearing, this isn't a problem because it's simply vertically panning a straight-forward view. GZDoom's GL renderer applies the aspect ratio correction in the wrong step.

What should be happening is that the z-axis should be getting scaled by 1.2 in the world matrix, and then handle rendering undistorted from there. Unfortunately, the world matrix takes everything as a literal 1:1, and the height of the screen projection is scaled by 1.2 instead. This means that yet again, the perspective is only correct when facing forward. If you look down, you're too close to the ground, and the floor texture looks stretched.

I told Graf about this years ago, and he acknowledged that he's got it backwards, but refuses to fix it. It doesn't bother me too much, however, because I don't use ZDoom or derivative ports because I hate the ZDoom community and think that the engine changes the base gameplay mechanics far too much.
keen
Born on Board

Blastfrog wrote:
That's only because ZDoom uses a larger range, the effect is all the same.
Huh, never noticed that, but now that you mention it, maybe that's why Marathon feels (appropriately, considering its setting on cramped spacecraft and tight tunnelly ruins) more claustrophobic.
Blastfrog wrote: It doesn't bother me too much, however, because I don't use ZDoom or derivative ports because I hate the ZDoom community and think that the engine changes the base gameplay mechanics far too much.
Meh, I can see how it can be hated from a gameplay perspective if you're deep into purism, but imo that's why there's chocolate doom. zdoom, to me, comes into its own fully when it's intentionally breaking old-hat gameplay mechanics -- i.e. things like the recent "buttpain" horror wad, which makes use of gzdoom dynamic lighting to cobble together an interesting horror experience; the point there isn't to be "doomy" at all, but rather to simply be a game that happens to use gzdoom as its engine.

as for your hatred of their community...that's your own concern.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

What do you guys think of Doomsday?
Dan
Cyborg

Doomsday's awesome port, but I prefer zDoom or Zandronum for portable play and for many online games (AoW2 mod's crazy).
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator