Aleph One development

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Are there any plans for really dynamic changes in the Aleph One Engine, like things available in similar games - Duke Nukem / Shadow Warrior/ Prime Target / Damage inc. etc etc.
This could be things like bridges, horizontal platforms, team commands, crouching, breakable windows.
Anyone planning to introduce anything along these lines. I don't know a thing about programming and I doubt i'm gonna learn any time soon.
treellama
Vidmaster

Hmm, things you might see in the next release:
Improved soundConfigurable map/volume/net chat keysImproved anti-lagTransparent liquids in the software rendererCheck for updates when entering Find Internet Game lobbyThat stuff you mentioned isn't really what Aleph One is about.

Cyborgs can't use bridges or moving platforms, they work alone, their armor keeps them from crouching, and window glass is much stronger in the future ;)
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

Cool cool. What about AI and interaction with friendlies - team commands and stuff?
treellama
Vidmaster

I usually give commands to BoBs using my fist.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

The idiots get in the way all the time. What the games need is wider corridors.
Samus

Would it be possible to have a feature in net games where you can toggle rechargers off on maps, like one of the tick boxes when you host. it could play the inactive switch noise when pressed.?
Last edited by Samus on Apr 14th '07, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

Samus wrote:...a feature in net games where you can toggle rechargers...
sort of want
treellama
Vidmaster

One of the example Lua scripts kills you if you try to recharge, I use it sometimes to prevent 2x recharger abuse:

http://www.cebix.net/viewcvs/alephone/alep...rge.txt?rev=1.1
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

@ treellama
Ooh i like the sound of that lua script. That could have been a nice april fools joke, if nothing else
@samus
If you really want, you can desgn a map where a tag will permenently deactivate a recharger say if you destroy some wires activating the tag. Its done in the main campaign a few times.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Apr 14th '07, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Doomchargers is a bit of a douche move if you don't tell people beforehand.
RAMS
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:I usually give commands to BoBs using my fist.
Christ, I read that and blew my coke all over my monitor.........Lord, that is funny. What is it with the 'hate-bob' deal. We commited hate crimes against them 12 years ago too.

The worst was some guy did a great mod that changed the 'bob's to 'bobettes' who all had incredible tits, shapes, and were total babes, and as the game progressed they became disrobed. Killer cool. But when you hit them with a grenade, well, it was really sick..........

RAMS
Robert A.M. Stephens, LLC ®
NASA Fine Art Documentation Program
Vision Motion Dynamic-FX-FX
http://www.behold-the-rage.com
Have Jeep, Have Heart, Will Travel
John Drake
Vidmaster

Doomchargers is a bit of a douche move if you don't tell people beforehand.
But it's damn funny.
Imup
Cyborg

DRAKE. wrote:But it's damn funny.
May I just ask, but what do Doomchargers do? Do they take away health? Or does a giant crusher come down and kill you?
treellama
Vidmaster

Well, check out the script: they set your health to 0, then hit you with a point of fusion damage. Zoink--Ahhhhh!

Ryoko is right, until we get a Lua script area in the game info display, you should always tell people before you start the game that doomchargers are on. Or any Lua script, for that matter.
Zott
Vidmaster

breakable windows.
http://webwonks.org/Marathon/Forge/Chrisk/...ingWindows.html
No coding required.

Anyways, I still want my OpenGL Shaders that look like the Software Shaders. Fusion bolts just don't seem as cool. [MErr]
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Vulcan
Spazeroid

So we could finally see what the marine looks like?
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Vulcan wrote:So we could finally see what the marine looks like?
Press...f6 I think and you can see his nicely-shaped ass...
If you mess with the camera it'll go to third person from the front...then you can see what he looks like.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
Old Bail
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Hmm, things you might see in the next release:
  • Improved sound
thanks for that. i was just about to post a question on the sound situation. for one, i would like an option to disable the sounds that occur when menus are selected, for instance, 'environment'. also there seems to be some kind of issue with the higher tones in the latest releases, they become a bit too intense in the higher frequencies, a bit too loud and distorted when wearing ear phones (i tried an older version of A1 and the sound was perfect). finally, i would like some way to make pfhor fighters prepare sandwiches for mid-game breaks. can you see about this?
Old Bail
Born on Board

RAMS wrote:The worst was some guy did a great mod that changed the 'bob's to 'bobettes'
there was also a modification that made bob into a guy named 'bob levitus'. he was wearing a t-shirt with some kind of computer logo on it and he had a beard. very funny. didn't a patch come out with additional bob soounds from bungie?
treellama
Vidmaster

Old Bail wrote:also there seems to be some kind of issue with the higher tones in the latest releases, they become a bit too intense in the higher frequencies, a bit too loud and distorted when wearing ear phones.
Yeah, should sound better now
finally, i would like some way to make pfhor fighters prepare sandwiches for mid-game breaks. can you see about this?
You can train them to do this, actually. You'll need a rolled up newspaper--
Samus

My fusion pistol now makes this piercing beep when charged instead of a steadily changing beep.
Darkwrath
Mjolnir Mark IV

What about that annoying "auto switch weapons" thing cause that just pisses me off ALL THE TIME. Its irritating to alot of people and i'm sure this would be better then some of the other suggestions.
Last edited by Darkwrath on Apr 28th '07, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.
The world is filled with bastard covered bastards with bastard fillings.

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|......, ] -
"(@)'(@)"""**|(@)(@)*** **''(@)

I'MMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAR
treellama
Vidmaster

Auto-switch is an integral part of Marathon. Learn to use it.
megabyte
Vidmaster

how about a special dual wielding function. any weapons that can be dual wielded (pistols, shotguns, fists) can be used together. like a button for left hand switching and a button for right hand switching. so you could have a fist and a shotgun out at the same time
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Zott
Vidmaster

Megabyte wrote:how about a special dual wielding function. any weapons that can be dual wielded (pistols, shotguns, fists) can be used together. like a button for left hand switching and a button for right hand switching. so you could have a fist and a shotgun out at the same time

I feel that would pretty much ruin the mechanics of Marathon, this isn't Halo 2.

If you guys want it, you should work on some awesome Lua scripting to do it instead of integrating it in a Aleph One Build.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee