Marathon red

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
flame
Born on Board

why does no one have marathon red? it has the best weapons. and a fully auto pistol.
you'll be a hard luck woman, BAby till you find your man!
Mordekai
Cyborg

Umm, I'm sure some people have Marathon Red. And your argument for it is very lacking.
treellama
Vidmaster

Not to mention that all 3 Marathon games had fully automatic pistols.
flame
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Not to mention that all 3 Marathon games had fully automatic pistols.

Then let me make my argument more convinceing, For starters your sprite is like 5x bigger than marathon infinity, also instead of haveing 2 carry around a large ass-SPNKR your rocket are in your light weight arm. Also you can use a weasle as a weapon. [MWuh]
treellama
Vidmaster

Now, why don't you speak to weapons balance (which RED has none), good net maps (which RED also has none)...you know, the things that make net play fun?

What's the replay value of having a weasle as a weapon?
flame
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:Now, why don't you speak to weapons balance (which RED has none), good net maps (which RED also has none)...you know, the things that make net play fun?

What's the replay value of having a weasle as a weapon?

you'd be amazed.
kineticturtle
Vidmaster

finn wrote:you'd be amazed.
I would not.

I hated Red, and I've played a lot of total conversions. There's a lot of people around here who feel the same way.
Some Guy
Born on Board

I agree but I did like the last level.
They say the mind twists and bends in order to deal with the horrors of life...
...Some times the mind bends so much it snaps in two.

All memory of your existence will be wiped from reality, you will die, and none will mourn.
thomaslivingston
Vidmaster

I'm fairly indifferent towards it. The artist that worked on it made some great stuff but the game just wasn't very fun.
megabyte
Vidmaster

the artist does cool comics but not cool games
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
Switch
Vidmaster

Megabyte wrote:the artist does cool comics but not cool games
I actually clicked through to one of his comics on the story forum and ended up reading through the archives. [MSmile]

Three Panel Soul

( There's marathon symbols all through it, it's pretty cool )
Last edited by Switch on Aug 28th '07, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Cathunter
Cyborg

finn wrote:why does no one have marathon red? it has the best weapons. and a fully auto pistol.
http://bighouse.bungie.org/red/downloads.html

Use the HTTP link.

Cathunter
Yowza
Cyborg

Im not sure why everyone hates RED so much? I feel its one of the most interesting TCs made. But perhaps its because I'm kinda addicted to mind twisting stories...
(And I can agree that some of the maps are kinda hard. I simply hate the sewer levels).
Volcanon
Mjolnir Mark IV

I only played the first two levels, I found it really difficult and there's not enough ammo (and fists are worthless).

RED netgames aren't bad. The weapons are fun mostly because there's good sniper guns, but a lot of them are a bit on the "too strong" side.

I'd play RED if somebody hosted it, but then I'd play anything if somebody hosted it (even Eternal, although it doesn't have multiplayer sprites)
Last edited by Volcanon on Aug 31st '07, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
localwarming
Cyborg

I never really cared much for Red. I couldn't bring myself to get very far into it, and eventually deleted the files. Just personal preference. It felt too much like a fanmade scenario.

Rubicon (X), for example, felt like a professional production. However, I can't play it anymore since OpenGL decided to shit out on my computer one day. It looks terribly ugly in the software renderer.
moonible
Cyborg

I tried red but kept getting about half an hour into the game and dying with no save points in sight. it was very annoying.
I'm not sure I liked the style either. There was something about the anime style guy with red hair and glasses and a nervous well meaning affectionate smile that made me think of terrible webcomics in which people imagine themselves if they were popular and japanese.
Oh sorry i sound bitter.
I mean, what do the save points look like? I can't find them.
megabyte
Vidmaster

moonible wrote:I tried red but kept getting about half an hour into the game and dying with no save points in sight. it was very annoying.
I'm not sure I liked the style either. There was something about the anime style guy with red hair and glasses and a nervous well meaning affectionate smile that made me think of terrible webcomics in which people imagine themselves if they were popular and japanese.
that guy illustrates those awesome comics
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
moonible
Cyborg

i wasn't talking about his comics, sorry for the ambiguity
Kidtofu
Cyborg

RED is nice and all, but to me, its very hard. Im currently still stuck on the fourth level. (Where you go up in the elevator and fight through the tightest passageway ive ever shot a pistol in. seriously, for a second I thought I was stuck in the flamethrower hall in 'Mars Needs Women'!) Also, the Multiplayer maps for this was hard as hell to find. sadly, though, i only find myself playing 'blunderdome' since all the other ones don't suit my playing style (maybe because it looks like a outside map but ends up feeling like a small version of duality. yes, and i mean very small. some of these maps i would list the minimum players as 1 player and a pfhor fighter. that much room :/ )

I used to love this guys comics but lately he hasn't put up any new ones or good ones.
wish he would update. :/
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!
assassingao
Vidmaster

First answer since many months of my hiatus.

Here's a fact.

1. I can do a fully automatic pistol that rapid fire with a physics model.
2. Red's unique, I'm quite sure nobody would argue with me on that. It has the unique concept of monsters, plotlines (very little of these in the end) and ending.
3. It's difficulty on Major Damage is the same as Infinity's TC. And don't even think about beating RED on Total Carnage. It's like trying to shove a rocket up your ass, you'd fail.
4. Red was one of the first TC that uses anime-style terminals. Which is unexpected since infinity scenarios was using realistic terminal pics.
5. Recreation most weapons in RED isn't hard, except for those "monster" weapons. Those "monster" weapons looked really cool back then and now, though.

Now here's my opinion.

I used to care about Marathon RED. But now the point is null, I don't find myself really enjoying marathon anymore since my mac crashed two weeks ago. My artworks/maps/physics (including bloodlust) might survive in that mac. But the monitor is broken.
I lost the will to create something for marathon again.

Back to the topic. The monster, in my terms, was imbalanced. You couldn't do crap with a fist (if I was right) against the aliens. It's a reaction test for me. If you fired first, you win. If they charged at you first, you lose. Simple as that.

It only brings the adrenaline out for the short time, before getting used to them making this TC finally bore the crap out of me.

That's my opinion. Flame or do anything as you wish.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

i got to the g4 remake and ran out of air/ammo. on kindergarden.
Can't speel for hist.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Phortiphy wrote:i got to the g4 remake and ran out of air/ammo. on kindergarden.
On kindergarden?? And you call yourself a marathoner?? Hmpf.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

the only thing i ever did on higher than normal was vidmaster the first six kill the boss levels.
Sam Lowry
Cyborg

If you want a red game IM me or aim/ichat samlowrybr

I have all the marathon tc/mods.
Most of the A1 ppl just play inf.
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it