Mac Network Games

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
MythicSquid
Spazeroid

Howdy ya'll, Ive been playing marathon since I was a kid when it came out, myself and my roommate just downloaded the latest version (looks awesome btw) and we are trying to set up Co-op games with no luck. We are using an apple airport extreme so we have already encountered the port error, however, even setting up a private ADHOC network doesnt solve it, any tips ?
treellama
Vidmaster

You're just trying to play on the local network? There shouldn't be any port troubles unless you have a software firewall running. If you do, you need to allow Aleph One access through it.

Make sure you're not going through the Find Internet Game interface. Just gather on one machine, and join (uncheck Join By IP) on the other, just like in Marathon 2.
MythicSquid
Spazeroid

hmm that is exactly what we tried. both of us turned our firewalls off and connected via ADHOC, I didnt check join by ip or internet game. Clicked join, no games found. we are both running the new mountain lion compatible marathon 2.
treellama
Vidmaster

Is it possible the Ad Hoc network doesn't support broadcast? You could try finding the IP address of the gatherer in System Preferences and type that into Join By IP. But that wasn't necessary for me with Aleph One 1.0.2 in Mountain Lion.
MythicSquid
Spazeroid

hmm that is exactly what we tried. both of us turned our firewalls off and connected via ADHOC, I didnt check join by ip or internet game. Clicked join, no games found. we are both running the new mountain lion compatible marathon 2.
MythicSquid
Spazeroid

sorry for the duplicate post, we also tried the manual IP, but that was with the router, I'll try it with a straight ethernet connection and let you know
WeirdoYYY
Born on Board

I haven't been in the Aleph One community for awhile and I've noticed that hosting games is very difficult.. I can't seem to do it and neither can any of my friends when we attempt to play. Kind of a buzzkill. Would anyone mind explaining in detail how to set this up? We tried setting our ports and allowing aleph one on our firewalls and nothing is budging.

Problems we get usually is we host the game and then are unable to join them. If the game does go through, people get disconnected quickly.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."
treellama
Vidmaster

WeirdoYYY wrote:I haven't been in the Aleph One community for awhile and I've noticed that hosting games is very difficult.. I can't seem to do it and neither can any of my friends when we attempt to play. Kind of a buzzkill. Would anyone mind explaining in detail how to set this up? We tried setting our ports and allowing aleph one on our firewalls and nothing is budging.

Problems we get usually is we host the game and then are unable to join them. If the game does go through, people get disconnected quickly.
All you need is port 4226 (TCP and UDP) open into the computer that is gathering. Joining games requires no setup. But, I have re-read your post a few times and still don't understand what's happening. Are you gathering? Joining? Do other players show up on the gather screen? Are you able to get into the game?
WeirdoYYY
Born on Board

treellama wrote:
WeirdoYYY wrote:I haven't been in the Aleph One community for awhile and I've noticed that hosting games is very difficult.. I can't seem to do it and neither can any of my friends when we attempt to play. Kind of a buzzkill. Would anyone mind explaining in detail how to set this up? We tried setting our ports and allowing aleph one on our firewalls and nothing is budging.

All you need is port 4226 (TCP and UDP) open into the computer that is gathering. Joining games requires no setup. But, I have re-read your post a few times and still don't understand what's happening. Are you gathering? Joining? Do other players show up on the gather screen? Are you able to get into the game?
Yeah I was told that is what we have to do. I tried opening port 4226 (Not sure if I did it right.) and then gathering. People can see my game when I host but when they try to join, nothing comes up on the gather screen. Can't get into the game from there.

I'm using a Belkin wireless modem if that helps.
treellama
Vidmaster

If no names show up to click on in the gather screen, that means port 4226 TCP isn't opened correctly somewhere. If names do show up but everyone disconnects when you start the game, then it's 4226 UDP instead.

Giving specific advice for every user is difficult because all routers are configured differently. But, portforward.com has a lot of them listed, and has mostly correct instructions for Aleph One (only 4226 is necessary, not 15367)--so start there.

If that doesn't work, you might have a software firewall, or maybe your ISP just blocks ports.
WeirdoYYY
Born on Board

Alright I'll try to configure that myself sometime. My friend got it working though so he's been hosting. [MUp]
WeirdoYYY
Born on Board

thank you!