What We Want For the Next Version of Aleph One

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
ftg.death.rhino
Born on Board

It is no doubt that the 2012-05-14 release is starting to show it's grey hairs. I'm also ticked due to some problems with M1A1 and how Aleph One keeps it's user data even after being removed from a machine. Sometimes the user data will apply to other scenarios and my game gets messed up. MML is also not 100% reliable, and Lua is just too much for the spazeroids to toy with. It's about time. It's about time we have another release of Aleph One and M1A1.

As said earlier, Aleph One tends to keep some of your user data, even after you delete every trace of Marathon from your personal machine. Because all of the directories have been searched, it means that Aleph One is making "under-the-hood" directories, or is placing them elsewhere on your computer. Also, the useless folder that Aleph One makes in My Documents is pretty stupid, the save games should just go into the scenario folder otherwise.

Say what you want, but whoever forms up the M1A1 team are pretty lazy. Instead of making Marathon adjust to Aleph One, they made Aleph One adjust to Marathon. Because of this, Marathon 2/Infinity mods are not backwards compatible with M1A1. It also puts trouble on mod developers. When M1A1's shapes file is opened up in ShapeFusion 0.6, the weapons are in random orders of textures, the walls were just thrown in... you get the idea. Again, they ticked me off by replacing a physics model with a bunch of MML scripts that make no sense.

MML is completely unorganized. There is a "dialect" of it in every different person, so there is no formal way to write MML. Also, since MML is very sensitive on capitalization and space placing, it's hard to tell if you know where to place each excerpt. MML is not user friendly and does nothing whenever I write it. I wish Aleph One was more open to different languages.

Speaking of different script languages, I ran over some make files in the XBLA Plugins. What capabilities can Make have in the future of Aleph One? Oh... and uh, please use .tif instead of .dds, it ripples the image when viewed outside of Aleph One. This brings up the point of how Aleph One can read Ogg Vorbis and DDS all on it's own and WMP can't... hmmm... well I do have Ogg Vorbis codecs for WMP but DDS requires third party stuff.

Why do preference files not have formats? I kind of tried to solve this by making .prfA (but filenames.mml wouldn't allow it) so I suggest that it be a file that can be adjusted using Windows Properties. The old preference files were placed out at distant directories, and were run by Aleph One every time of operating. The new ones only work for the first run, and don't prevent resolution error. some of the licenses don't have formats either.

Finally, I just want to summarize my topic by making it laid out and simple:
-Organize M1A1
-Formalize MML
-Turn M1A1 MMLs Into A Physics Model
-Introduce More Scripting Languages
-Make User Data In A Visible Directory
-Make MML Non-Case Sensitive And Non-Format Sensitive
-Resolve Resolution Errors In A Full-Time Preferences File That Has A Format
Here are some things I didn't go over above but I want to make sure that they get looked upon.
-Add A Second Solo Script File Slot
-Fix OpenGL
-Make All Of The Settings In Graphics Under Scmode
-Fix Failsafe That Depletes Response During Resolution Solution
-Put The .fntA File Into The .exe Data
Thanks For Reading! Please Comment and Share Your Thoughts! :D
Liquid Fader Removal

Code: Select all

<marathon>
<!-- BAN ALL WHO REFUSE TO DOWNLOAD --!>
<player index="0" opacity="0"/>
</marathon>
interion
Cyborg

Those are some interesting ideas. Here are some other things I think would really help improve the engine.

-libjingle integration for NAT traversal
-JavaScript bindings for scripting with V8 engine
-Framerate Uncapped, 60 FPS high speed deathmatch mode for PRO players, 15 FPS half speed mode for players who suffer from motion sickness
-Quake style network model for smoother motion, delta updates of player position and actions versus current Doom style synchronous event updates which would allow for;
-Mid-game network joining and dedicated servers based on Node.js
-iCloud / Steamworks support for cloud saves. Never lose your saves again.
-Twitch.tv Streaming Video integration
-Game Spectating for eSports
-In-game store to allow monetization of maps, mods, and other user generated content, support for PayPal and Bitcoin, 1-Click purchase and install licensed from Amazon.com
-Achievements
-Audio Chat in game server lobby
-Finally, complete rewrite as WebGL, HTML5+Javascript engine

Unfortunately I will be unable to assist in the actual development work involved with any of these ideas, because I only work in Python. However, I have begun initial prototyping for a new roguelike game based on Marathon, called MarathonRL. Kind of like DoomRL if you've ever heard of that. Contact me if you're interested in contributing. I need someone to assist with art assets. Strong background in ASCII or UTF-8 preferred.
treellama
Vidmaster

interion wrote:
However, I have begun initial prototyping for a new roguelike game based on Marathon, called MarathonRL. Kind of like DoomRL if you've ever heard of that. Contact me if you're interested in contributing. I need someone to assist with art assets. Strong background in ASCII or UTF-8 preferred.
I am interesting in contributing! Here is a sample of my previous work:

::

->

> >
(note the space)
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

ebcdic.png
punch the card.png
ftg.death.rhino
Born on Board

treellama, what is the name of your google account?
Liquid Fader Removal

<marathon>
<!-- BAN ALL WHO REFUSE TO DOWNLOAD --!>
<player index="0" opacity="0"/>
</marathon>
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

I petition to keep aleph one functional with the original M1 files, and modify weland and shapefusion to be compatible with them. Yes, I'm an incompetent layman who knows very little about the coding and technical nuances this demands, but it's what I want.
irons
Vidmaster

Let's just agree not to create Marathon 1 scenarios and maps and leave it at that.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

elohim wrote:let's just agree not to create
we'll always have dave.jpg
we'll always have dave.jpg (41.08 KiB) Viewed 3415 times