Fastest Linux Distribution

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

What would you say is the fastest and/or best Linux distribution for use with Aleph One? Particularly for Internet network games.
treellama
Vidmaster

That's really a matter of opinion. If you have a decent amount of memory (2 GB), there's probably no noticeable performance difference between the distros, so just pick what package manager / community / desktop manager you like.

I use Xubuntu.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

TYTL

Code: Select all

TYTL: "thank you, treellama" (not to be confused with TTYL)
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I have been mucking about with Ubuntu's Unity since it came out. I got to say, it's getting better and I have gotten the hang of it, but there are a lot of design decisions that are still baffling to me. For instance, the core decision of the search being the key to finding any installed application as oppose to a traditional filing system that has been loved and copied since the Macintosh. Not that I'm against a good search, but to build the OS around it? It's not really great for seeing all the various applications I have installed on one screen, and I can forget I have something already installed. Not to mention, I like to organize my things and this just doesn't let me. I've used desktop shortcuts to get around that, but it's rather ugly. Never was one for a cluttered desktop.

I haven't tried some of the other Ubuntu flavors, perhaps I will. XUbuntu actually looks pretty good. Sorta like the old Gnome environment that I liked so much. Thanks for indirectly pointing it out to me. :)

Not to say Unity is all bad, there are some nifty features I like, such as the desktop integration of various chat/email and other communication programs as well as integration with iTunes like programs such as Rhythm box (default, but not a fan) and Banshee
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

I'm a NetBSD guy. I'm looking into Arch Linux, though. I want to find a minimal Linux that I can use pkgsrc with, but not one so minimal that you need to be a guru to install and set it up.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I'd highly recommend JUICE OS, but you'd have to contact JUICEMAN to get a copy.
Asylum
Cyborg

jui.png
(●__●)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(●__●)
TheMoonChef
Born on Board

I'd recommend Lubuntu as it does away with all the clutter that comes with regular Ubuntu and most of it's variants, hence ensuring a particularly speedy experience. Nice and lightweight, it runs all three Marathon games online fantastically under (what I assume is) AlephOne 1.0 on a Eee PC Netbook with a mere Intel Atom processor. [tux]