Audio problems after compiling from source

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

Greetings,

I've just compiled a custom build of AlephOne 1.0 using XCode 3/gcc 4.2 on Mac OS 10.5 Leopard and except for a few warnings everything seemed to go as planned. However once in the game all audio output is severely distorted by random cracking/skipping. Changing any of AOs Sound options has no effect.

I'm attaching the warnings log below:

Code: Select all

Line Location lua_monsters.cpp:374: warning: unused variable 'monster'
Line Location Mixer.cpp:243: warning: unused variable 'param1'
Line Location network_games.cpp:962: warning: unused variable 'count'
Line Location os_common.c:263: warning: passing argument 3 of 'getsockname' from incompatible pointer type
Line Location preferences.cpp:366: warning: unused variable 'parent'
Line Location xmlparse.c:1491: warning: enumeration value 'XML_FINISHED' not handled in switch
any ideas how to fix this?
PS: I do have Macports installed if that is of any importance.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

The warnings are normal and nothing to worry about. My money's on you building the Development target instead of the Deployment target, and the sound's skipping because of the extra debug. But in case that's not it, or you run into further problems, here's my troubleshooting list:

You're using the release code (not something from SVN) and the PBProjects/AlephOne.xcodeproj to build, correct? And you're building the "Deployment (Universal)" target?

Have you copied the dependent frameworks from the Aleph One 1.0 application into /Library/Frameworks or ~/Library/Frameworks? (In case you're wondering, we have instructions to build those from scratch too, but it's better to wait until you've got the main app working.)

Have you checked that you're not linking to custom versions of any libraries, by checking the output of "otool -L AlephOne.app/Contents/MacOS/AlephOne"? You should get the same output as you do on the release.

Finally, you mention gcc 4.2, but the ppc and 32-bit parts should actually be compiling with gcc 4.0. We only use 4.2 for the 64-bit build, which doesn't apply to you on 10.5. Xcode can do funny things with its settings, so if nothing else works you might need to post screenshots of the build settings.
treellama
Vidmaster

The audio is known to skip without optimizations enabled. Use one of the Deployment targets.
thedoctor45
Mjolnir Mark IV

You were right - I was indeed compiling the development build instead of the deployment version and that caused the issue - i must have overlooked that detail :P The framework libraries were put into /Library/Frameworks and the library paths of the binary file are all correct as far as i can tell.
However the Universal build fails for me using either gcc 4.2 or gcc 4.0 - I'm using the native Intel Only version atm.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think you'd need the 10.4u.sdk to build PPC, and the 10.6 SDK to build x86_64, so either of those might be the sticking point. Building native should be just fine until you need to share a different variant with someone, so you can cross that bridge when/if you get there.