siphoning ticks

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Has anyone ever developed a Lua script to implement the planned-but-never-implemented ability of ticks to siphon shield energy?
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

That might not even require lua. I just checked a default Infinity physics model, and the kamikaze tick has a melee attack using energy drain. Being kamikaze, it doesn't get a chance to use the melee attack in practice. I don't have time to try it right now, but you could make a physics model that gives non-kamikaze ticks the energy drain attack and see what happens. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I may be missing something.
Cephalostrum
Born on Board

Rubicon had Major Cleanroom Bobs and the Chamberlain, both of which would strip shields rather than doing 'normal' melee or projectile damage. They also had a liquid type that would do the same over time as you stood or ran through it. It's at the very least feasible, though I can't speak to whether it was done with Physics or LUA nor do I care to spend the time sifting through the resource files. I'll leave that task to you.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I don't think Energy Drain actually heals the attacker, though. Energy Drain is just a damage type that has no fader attached.
treellama
Vidmaster

Correct, it does not heal the attacker. More awesomely, it will not kill the player!
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

treellama wrote:Correct, it does not heal the attacker. More awesomely, it will not kill the player!
So you get reduced to 0 vitality, and then sit there? Heh heh, just like poison in Wesnoth. If there was no visual/audio cue (other than the meter), that could be pretty sneaky, indeed!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

The Pfhor Prime sludge in Rubicon works exactly like that. There's no fader and no real sound effect other than the ambient sludge sound effect, and it drains your health down to 0 without killing you.