Aleph One takes forever to launch

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Jello
Born on Board

I am having a strange issue-I am running Mac OS 10.4.11 on a PPC-based iBook G4, and Aleph One and Marathon Infinity were working great, until I tried to launch them again, and the system locked up, and completely froze until I waited 5 mins. for it to force quit. Well, then I just redownloaded the game and it worked again. For about a week. Then it locked up again, on any Marathon game, and just takes FOREVER to load (about a good 5-8 minutes). I have menumeters installed, and it says whenever I launch the app, the processor goes to 100% from it's normal 50-60%. I have tried nearly everything - even restoring my system, and creating a new account - nothing works. If you want additional info and logs, go here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1694623. I probably should have posted here first, but I didn't want to make an account just for that. But the good people at Macrumors can't seem to solve it. Please help - this is very annoying and I can't figure it out! Thanks in advance - Jello
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Yeah, that Treellama guy over at macrumors didn't seem to help very much. You came to the right place.
Jello
Born on Board

It's not that they didn't help very much, but that is more of a computer forum, and although Treellama tests each release, he wasn't sure of the issue. So do you have any idea what could be causing it to happen?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Nope, I'm just here to provide worthless posts.

If you take a look at the members list for this site, you'll see that Treellama is the #1 poster on these forums, and is probably the best person to help you. Maybe Hopper can help, too.
treellama
Vidmaster

When Aleph One starts up, it recursively scans its data directories looking for plugins, map files, physics, shapes, etc. I think that's where it's going wrong on your system, but I don't know why. I can see one or two ways to speed up that directory scan on some systems. Perhaps if these speed-ups are implemented, they will help with your issue as well. ::shrug::
Jello
Born on Board

Once it came up with a message that "shapes, sounds, and maps" were not correctly installed, when in fact they were. What other plug-ins could be causing this issue? Is it software conflicts with other apps I have installed?
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

One of your posted files indicated you had version 1.0.2. We fixed some data-scan bugs in the latest 1.1 release, so make sure you're up to date.

Have you tried the all-in-one releases that come with one of the Marathon games? Those behave slightly differently, and if they work fine, it could narrow down the problem.

Aleph One stores its preferences in ~/Library/Preferences/org.bungie.source.AlephOne, and loads plugins and MML from ~/Library/Application Support/AlephOne, and also in the folder containing the app. (See this Wiki page for details.) That's everything that should affect Aleph One normally; if you delete or move all those, you should really be starting from scratch.

If you're running enhancers like Unsanity APE, WindowShade, Default Folder X, etc., they might be confusing Aleph One. Make sure anything like that is disabled just in case.

When Aleph One hangs and you force quit it, do you get a CrashReporter log? That might tell us what it was doing when it died, so we can see where it's stuck. It's a long shot, but the easy stuff has already been covered.
Jello
Born on Board

OK, I'll start from scratch again. I have the all in one pack marathon infinity, and it has the same error. Can you link me to older Marathon 1 and 2? They aren't supported for PPC anymore. I never got a CrashReporter log, but I'll download the latest version of aleph one.
Last edited by Jello on Jan 14th '14, 01:53, edited 2 times in total.
Jello
Born on Board

This latest version is absolutely no better. Unless I downloaded the wrong "new version", it still doesn't work.

I also deleted all the library files and used an older version of Aleph One from 2011, but that did the same thing. I think it's my system. But what files could be corrupted? It worked fine before...

UPDATE: I found this in the log, it appears some of my files are corrupt (?)

-------------------- Mon Jan 13 17:20:50 2014

while opening resource file /Volumes/Marathon Infinity/Marathon Infinity.app/Contents/Resources/DataFiles/Shapes.shpA (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/Files/resource_manager.cpp:338)
file's resource reference list corrupt (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/Files/resource_manager.cpp:276)
while opening resource file /Volumes/Marathon Infinity/Marathon Infinity.app/Contents/Resources/DataFiles/Shapes.shpA (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/Files/resource_manager.cpp:338)
file's resource reference list corrupt (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/Files/resource_manager.cpp:276)
Gorans Water Set 2.2 Plugin: Shapes Patch.ShPa not found; ignoring (/Users/ghs/aleph/trunk/PBProjects/../Source_Files/XML/Plugins.cpp:177)
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Unfortunately, those messages are normal. I'm out of ideas.
Jello
Born on Board

I'm hopefully going to upgrade to Leopard soon hopefully. Maybe that'll fix it. So does anyone know where to get older Marathon 1 and 2 that still support PPC? Only Aleph one and Infinity still do, and I want to play 1 and 2 as well.
treellama
Vidmaster

http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

All three games support PowerPC.
Jello
Born on Board

When I downloaded 1 and 2 it said they were not supported on my platform.
treellama
Vidmaster

WELL!

You can either wait for us to fix them, or you can download the data files separately from http://marathon.sourceforge.net/scenarios.php and use the generic Aleph One app.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I have a powerPC G5 with 10.4 I haven't tried running alephone on it in a long while. I'll take a look tomorrow.
==========
Just personal taste but I wouldn't bother updating it to 10.5. One of the only perks of having a powerpc mac these days is the backwards compatibility with classic software which you give up with 10.5. (with 10.4 and its classic mode setup, you can run the original games directly) 10.5 is ridiculously out of date anyway, and most modern software has left it in the dust too. if not 10.5 then certainly PPC support. (Thank you Xcode) So why bother? If it's browser updates you want I'd go to this http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/ Same guys behind the excellent Classilla browser for OS9.
Jello
Born on Board

Mac OS X v. 10.5 Leopard: a.) Internet browsers are more modern b.) it can run more modern disk utilities and system checkups c.) it is much newer and can run newer version of photoshop and apps like that and d.) it can run apps significantly better than Tiger and under. That is why I want an upgrade, besides that Tiger is just grossly out of date anyway. Did I mention you can run iTunes 10 in Leopard, too? btw I do use TenFourFox
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Depends on your need of course. I got a newer mac that runs everything up to Mavericks, so I wouldn't care if my G5 runs a small fraction of slightly less out of date software that would run on the newer mac anyway. (I don't understand the need for iTunes 10. It's not like Apple supports it, unless you have some old ipod/phone that can sync with it but not 9?) I guess there are PPC OSX apps like Office 2003 for Mac that needed Rosetta for Intel macs, but AFAIK these run on 10.4. I would, however, care about the ancient software that my intel mac can't run. (Sheepshaver has its limits)

I wouldn't put up much hope in developers pulling their hair out to try to support PPC 10.5. It's hard enough just to support 10.6 for Intel macs these days and most don't even bother supporting anything older then 10.7. The fact is, if you have a PPC computer, expect to be left in the dust.
Jello
Born on Board

Sooooo you make it sound like Aleph One is going to stop supporting PPC this release?
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama just said just said this was probably the last, bless him. Let me tell you. Even among open source software, Alephone is in a distinct minority.

I finally was able to give it a whirl. Sorry we had just moved the G5 to the spare room as it wasn't used that often, and it wasn't set up. Anyway, the one click installs appear to be compiled for intel only. I gave the standard alephone.app a try though, and it appeared to run just fine. It started up quite smoothly. No delay. My os is 10.4.11 on a 1.8 GHz G5.

Are you using any large plugins that may take forever to load? That was an issue in the previous build, but it appears to have been fixed as far as I see. But perhaps its a combination of the weak CPU and the large loading.
treellama
Vidmaster

Aleph One 1.1 is supposed to support PowerPC for all three all-in-one games. We just uploaded a couple bad builds and haven't replaced them yet.
Jello
Born on Board

Just installed Leopard, and Aleph One worked for about the first 5 seconds, then it started screwing out again. I have no plugins installed. It opened fine, and then I plugged in a mouse and it stopped working fine. What in the world is going on?
Jello
Born on Board

Also, I got Tempus Irae to launch, but when I try to play a game, it says, "A system error occurred while attempting to read from your map or saved game file. (error 2)
treellama
Vidmaster

I've uploaded PowerPC compatible versions of all-in-one Marathon and Marathon 2.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Thanks!
Jello
Born on Board

I think it's about time I just realize that Aleph One won't run on my mac anymore. I'll just use it on another machine. Oh well.