Aleph One takes forever to launch

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Well one thing you can do, and you probably already did it, is open up Disk Utility and run a permission and disk check and repair, (may have to do this from tiger/leopard install cd). Either hard disk error or permissions issues could be a cause to your problem. One thing about tiger, I found it to be notorious with permission issues. (If this was one of your tiger complaints, then I agree totally) I don't know if installing the new OS would have fixed these things, it's entirely possible it didn't.

If that doesn't work..... what do you use your PPC Mac for anyway? It's not your main machine is it? Would it be a huge hassle to wipe it and start from scratch? (saving any apps and files you want of course) It does run, and doesn't take a lot to do so. So I'm not sure what else could be causing it to be so slow.
Jello
Born on Board

I have wiped it about twice. I have tried verifying and repairing permissions. I've tried about everything, and nothing helps. It is not my main machine, but I wanted to use it for Aleph One. I have tried Leopard and Tiger as main OS, and it does the same thing on both of them.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I figured, how responsive are other programs and games?
Jello
Born on Board

The work just great - the same as always. No waits on them or anything. They are always responsive, it seems.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

hmm so that rules out hardware. Any of them sdl based apps that would seem similar to alephone? Ill search around, but I suspect Battle for Wesnoth still supports PPC.
treellama
Vidmaster

herecomethej2000 wrote:hmm so that rules out hardware
Aleph One retains Marathon 2's peculiar ability to find data files files in any subdirectory of its data directory. That recursive search is uncommon among other games and apps, and could exercise his hard drive in a different way than any other game on his system. I still think that's where Aleph One is falling down (since the trace showed Aleph One spending all of its time waiting on system I/O).

One way to narrow it down would be to try loading it on an external drive and see if it behaves similarly.
Jello
Born on Board

I don't have any other games or apps like Aleph One on my system. I am running absolutely great on Windows 7, so If I just can't run it on my Mac because of harddrive, I'll just use Windows 7.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

or throw it on a pen drive, if you have one lying around, and give it a go. It would be slower then a normal hard drive, but it would take shorter then 5 min. Just to see if it is indeed the hard drive.
Jello
Born on Board

I think my HDD is failing, which would make sense why the application won't launch very well. I scanned its SMART status, and it said it had 13 bad sectors. Uh-oh. But then a different program said it was fine. :unsure: IDK what to think. I could use an HDD upgrade, anyway, but that's a little frustrating. <_<