New metaserver for online play

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

As some of you are aware, after Mariusnet suffered extended downtime last year, Treellama set up a temporary server as a replacement. Recently we put a more permanent solution in place:

the new Aleph One metaserver
  • Your Mariusnet credentials will not carry over; you'll have to register at the new site or use "Guest" mode in your Player preferences.
  • The server supports some, but not all, of the chat commands from Mariusnet; type ".help" in chat for a list.
  • The server is open source and written in Python.
  • If you run into problems with the server or site, use the Contact form or PM me.
Corruptinator
Born on Board

I have noticed about Mariusnet's downtime and an alternative permanent server is set up. The Aleph One Metaserver is an interesting server setup that will probably in my thoughts will get wicked upgrades someday.
Plus, the server is Open Source? You can definitely bet that someone will be making mods to amplify the Marathon Multiplayer Experience.

My thoughts on what possibilities for upgrade is:

Profiles 2.0 (Custom LUA scripts)
Leveling System,
Carnage Points(Alternative for "Prestige" after reaching to maximum level)
Alternative multiplayer sprites (Custom Player Costumes for example),
unlockable features, and more...

I may not be a programmer in Python, but I know that someone out there will definitely find a way to make this awesome. :)
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

There seems to be a bug with the most popular levels functionality. Werefrog is not number 1.
Sharkie Lino
Cyborg

The site looks good! It almost seems like every time I check it again, BAM, something new is there.
Marathon Player Since 1995.

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

On the homepage where it gives you the number of games played and stuff, are those the totals since the server was created? It would be interesting to see the number of games played in the last X days or something.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

The totals are currently since the server came online, which is only a few weeks ago. I do hope to add time-limited lists; by the time the server is old enough, maybe we'll have something in place.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

The site now has game history and monthly summary pages, so you can see trends over time. Each game played has its own page with more details, and registered users have personal game histories linked from their user pages.
Sharkie Lino
Cyborg

Looks great, Hop. You both (I'm assuming it's both of you) have really been doing great things for both that site and the meta!

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.
Dan
Cyborg

(thumbsup) The new metaserver's looking great
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

For those curious about the metaserver dev team:
  • Sparklo built everything on the website. I provide graphic design and suggestions; she makes it happen. New features on the site are thanks to her.
  • Hopper wrote the open-source server that talks to Aleph One. When you join chat or gather a game, that's the part you're connected to. My code logs everything that happens, and Sparklo's code turns that into the cool stuff on the site.
  • Treellama manages the domain name, provided the transition plan to get to where we are now, and always gives helpful advice whenever it's needed.
  • Sharkie Lino has helped with testing and feedback since the beginning. He's suffered the bugs so you don't have to.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Really fantastic work all of you! It is great that we no longer have to piggyback on mariusnet led by a group of people who quite frankly regarded alephone as an afterthought and just wasn't their main focus. We are large enough community to deserve our own server. :)

If server costs are ever an issue, or just a drag, please feel free to set up a donation method so that we may chip in to keep it going! and that goes with the other community sites as well. I don't know how switch and treellama do it.

It's great that the website is so detailed! I can keep a bookmark on my iphone to take a peek at whats going on. Mariusnet had a nifty iphone app to keep track of who's on and such, have you thought about making one yourself? Not important of course.
Dan
Cyborg

^ I agree.
Roses are rose red
Refridgerator
Zott
Vidmaster

Excellent work! I especially like being able to change the time-zone when viewing dates. The design is also very readable.

I love me some trends. Two suggestions regarding game history, one "easy", one more involved:

Easy: When viewing the game history, I would recommend sorting the most recent date/games played at the top. While chronological makes sense, from a user perspective, I doubt many will be searching past today/yesterday. Yet, in its current state, I have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find Feb 23rd, the most recent date. Same for the monthly history on the left side; it is easy to find the current month right now, but will need much scrolling in months down the line.

Hard: Bar chart of a week's worth of data into hour bins to easily find times of most activity, relative to my timezone.

Echoing j2000, if you need donations to keep the sites running, just give a holler.
treellama
Vidmaster

At the moment, we still have a few years left of lhowon.org's domain name registration, from the last donation campaign. The metaserver and web site are currently hosted on a free instance of Amazon EC2, which lasts for one year. After that, I can set one up for another year.

After a couple years, we'll need to find a small source of funding.
Sharkie Lino
Cyborg

Hopper wrote: Sharkie Lino has helped with testing and feedback since the beginning. He's suffered the bugs so you don't have to.[/list]

Haha, great wording. It was actually kind of funny, the best one being when you restored .afk and it disconnected you. I got some good laughs from that.

Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

It looks really good! It's pretty awesome to have a server dedicated to Marathon. Great work, everyone. I also like Zott's suggestion about having the most recent data at the top.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

The game history section was overhauled recently, so the home page link takes you to the most recent day's activity instead of the beginning of the month. A color-coded calendar widget lets you see which days were busiest.
Sharkie Lino
Cyborg

I saw that, great work of organization!

Dan
Cyborg

Nice
Roses are rose red
Refridgerator
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

The more I look at the site, the better it gets. On the calendar, you can see which days had more games just by looking at the color. You can click on a game and see things like who played, the settings the host used -- even what pack the map is from. And best of all, there's a link to download the map pack! Freaking awesome.

I think boretower is going to be extra bored.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Mar 5th '14, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

How does it know the author of a map?
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

It guesses the map pack and author from the level name, using a lookup table. There's no guarantee that it'll be right, especially with remakes, but map authors generally use unique names. Sparklo checks periodically for unmatched maps, to keep the lookup table up to date.

Sparklo just added another new feature: a game's gatherer can upload saved films on the game's info page. If the film has been added, there'll be a download link under the list of players.
Sharkie Lino
Cyborg

That's right, you or Sparklo had mentioned about implementing that a while ago. Sounds good!

herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey look! Marius claims it's back. Apperently after all these months, it was a single corrupted player file that was stoping it from starting up! Such wonderful maintenance. We really should go back to them.

I'm thankful for them hosting us all these years, but if the current staff is tired of maintining then they should have some way to pass the torch or at least let someone help.
Sharkie Lino
Cyborg

Well, Mariusnet certainly deserves a lot of thanks for giving us a place to host/play all those years!

But I like the work the Devs have done for this new meta and site. It shows many more things now than it used to, and, in my opinion, it is a very cool site!