M1A1 background texture enhancement?

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Jabberwok
Spazeroid

First, hello Pfhorums. I don't know why I haven't spent time here before, but the Story page has been my occasional home for over a decade.

I started playing M1A1 1.1b1 again, and I realized that everything looks great except for the background starfield texture, which looks like mud. I'm not sure why, because I'm sure that I've played earlier versions with high-res textures that had better-looking backgrounds.

Most of my old bookmarks are dead, but I tried going to Simplici7y to download a better-looking background. I found something called starscape.dds, but I have no idea what to do with this file in this newer version of A1, or if it's even compatible. There is no folder for it that I see, and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? How can I get the view out the window looking on par with everything else?

Sorry if this question is redundant for story forum folks, but I am desperate to replay this in style, and my searches have revealed nothing so far.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

The fastest way is to edit any plugin that uses landscape replacement by renaming your starscape image to whatever is specified in the mml, and then placing it where the mml specifies. You may have to edit the mml to specify the right collection, which you can view using ShapeFusion.