Alternate weapon alignment mode

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Blastfrog
Cyborg

Could there possibly be a mode where weapons horizontally align the same as they do in the default 2:1 viewport? As it is, dual wielded weapons are uncomfortably close together in 4:3 (yes, I still use a CRT). I realize that this would mean cutting off the sides like in the limit vertical FOV mode, but I'm okay with that.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

I'm with you on this. I just never got around to bringing it up.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

What HUD and options are you running where the view isn't letterboxed to a reasonable ratio? The HUDs we provide should give you a 16:9 or 2:1 view on a 4:3 screen, as far as I know. Personally, I can't stand seeing Marathon in a narrower view than that, so I'm not likely to write any code for that case.
Blastfrog
Cyborg

I actually run a modified version of the XBLA HUD. It's almost identical to the standard distribution, but I changed one line of code so that the minimum aspect ratio is 1.33 instead of the default 1.6 (yes, it letterboxes to 8:5 at minumum, if you wanted 16:9 you may wish to change it to 1.77). The reason I did this is because I don't like letterboxing and would rather use my entire screen.

Admittedly, this alternate alignment mode could prove to be something of a problem for weapons like the SPNKR. Not sure how this should be handled. Separate settings for dual wielded vs. single weapons? Floating point instead of Boolean?

Though unrelated to the HUD, I currently have limit vertical FOV turned on (not off) and am running a Lua script that changes the 2:1 FOV to 113, leading to my FOV being almost exactly 90 in 4:3. The reason I did this as opposed to keeping limit vertical FOV off and just setting it to 90 directly is to work around a quirk in the shader GL renderer, which is optimized for a 2:1 view. The corners of the screen become black when looking up or down in a narrower aspect ratio than 2:1 when limit vertical FOV is turned off because the view "wall" isn't wide enough.