inertia

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

If there were a patch to toggle realistic inertia in A1 (fall/fly in original direction, not facing direction), would it be accepted?

This would definitely change gameplay when enabled, and I imagine there would be areas made unreachable (i.e. access relies on midair turns), but would the Trilogy still be completable?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Why the hell would you want to do that?
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

It's always struck me as odd that people keep developing higher and higher resolution art for Marathon, to make things look better and "more realistic", when the game engine itself is very obviously not. Changing the playing experience in this way might be fun.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

It would definitely not be fun, air dodging is one of the very few mechanics that is actually cool in Marathon.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:It would definitely not be fun, air dodging is one of the very few mechanics that is actually cool in Marathon.
Agreed.
philtron
Mjolnir Mark IV

ChristTrekker wrote:It's always struck me as odd that people keep developing higher and higher resolution art for Marathon, to make things look better and "more realistic"
I don't think anyone is creating higher resolution art in order to make things look more realistic. All the art still has a "cartoony" look to it. I think they're just upping the art so things look smoother on modern monitors.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Interesting proposition. Such a change would affect advanced movement techniques, i.e.grenade jumping and climbing. The Deprivation Chamber comes to mind as the bellwether for such a change...

Actually, I've got a better one than that. I don't think you could finish Welcome to the Revolution with accurately-modelled inertia.

Which is not to say I want to discourage the line of thought. I'm reminded of the original UT, where air control was a slider that could be set anywhere from 0% to 100%, as well as treellama's consideration of a player.allow_velocity_control_in_flight a year ago.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

I wonder if inertia was coded this way by accident and then left when Bungie realized the possibilities of being able to control mid-air movement, or if they had the idea first and did it intentionally.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

ChristTrekker wrote:I wonder if inertia was coded this way by accident and then left when Bungie realized the possibilities of being able to control mid-air movement, or if they had the idea first and did it intentionally.
My guess is it goes back to when Bungie decided they wanted their next game to be more 3D than their last game. They realized that would necessitate simulating gravity on the player, something the Pathways engine they were starting with didn't do.

So the programmer added code for a passable physics simulation. E.g., it met the basic standard that the player accelerates downward when he's above the floor. Then the team tried it out in some levels, and identified the repercussions of the system as implemented. They decided the implementation was acceptable, and from then on the level designers designed their levels keeping in mind what the engine now could and couldn't do.

The same likely goes for grenade jumping and other behaviors unique to the engine, as they were discovered. I'm speculating all this, but that's what makes sense to me based on how game development typically goes in my experience.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Mid-air control can also compensate for other shortcomings in the engine's physics. For instance, when descending a staircase, the player (whom the engine models as a giant cylinder rather than a human with limbs) spends most of his time in the air rather than in contact with the treads. It's hard to stop on a downward staircase in Marathon, because you only decelerate when your single cylindrical "foot" is on the ground. Think of all the curved staircases in the games, and imagine only being able to turn during the brief moments you're in contact with a step.

Also speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bungie tried the realistic approach, and it caused more "unrealistic" problems than it solved.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

It's also possible they were just trying to make the game fun to play.