Blastfrog's shitty suggestions thread

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

it was naive of me to think that perseus was the nadir
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

I would agree that I'm being worthless, except you don't seem to be able to view the commit history yourself. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking these questions.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

General Tacticus wrote:back to serious discussion, how many a1 devs are on staff anyway?
I'm willing to help you out. Just give me a couple months for me to practice/learn a little more programming.
After that I'll fork Aleph One with you. I'll fork it so hard in the ass, it'll perform as beautifully as Counter Strike.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
The One
Born on Board

My 3D image fork already has most of this implemented, actually. Check it out on SourceForge.
General Tacticus
Cyborg

Wrk:
I have checked the commits. I was just wondering if anybody knew whether the other guys were gone for good, or if anyone was contributing outside of github. Surprisingly enough, github is not helpful in finding that info.

3371-Alpha:
Sadly, I myself currently lack the skills needed for engine development. I have taken a few courses on C++, but I can barely keep the basics down. I will probably keep at it, time permitting.

The One:
Ok, I will take a look. Does it have a name?
treellama
Vidmaster

spazeroid wrote:zoom
Blastfrog
Cyborg

I'm really not too keen of a fork just for the virtual mouse. A fork would be a great idea for more advanced things, but just the virtual mouse (retaining an option for the original input method) does not justify forking IMO.

Maybe a fork would be better for things like 60fps, uncapped mouse speed, more angles to aim at, floor-over-floor effects, slopes, etc. That is, really big engine changes and not an extra layer to make aiming feel more like Quake (without even changing the underlying mechanics).
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Blastfrog wrote:more angles to aim at
Without fixing this, I don't quite understand what issue you're having with the mouse currently. You've turned off mouse acceleration in the options, right?
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

/!\ not being good at mararthon is not a bug /!\
General Tacticus
Cyborg

You don't actually need more angles for smoother turning.

The engine already simulates camera pitch via offset and re-projection in the opengl renderer. It only does this on one axis right now, but you could do the exact same thing horizontally to fill between the current rotational increments.

This is pretty much the method a lot of VR applications use to avoid nausea at low frame-rates.
3371-Alpha
Cyborg

The One wrote:My 3D image fork already has most of this implemented, actually. Check it out on SourceForge.
No offense intended but, give me a name damn it! I really want to check this shit out.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz 2003 (Model: 7,2)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
7GB RAM (OWC PC-3200U-30330 DDR SDRAM 400MHz)
ATi Radeon X800 XT (GPU overclocked to 500MHz, VRAM to 550MHz)
General Tacticus
Cyborg

he's probably just fucking around, same as a few years back.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Why is everyone on these forums these days either trolling, a noob, or Hopper. (One of these things is not like the others).
General Tacticus
Cyborg

I do realize that I may come off as a newb, but my demeanor stems from watching this community dissolve over the years while these jackoffs dance among the ashes.

It is worth noting that among the people here, only two have produced anything more substantial than a handful of net-maps in the past year.

Better a productive newbie than a useless veteran.
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:Why is everyone on these forums these days either trolling, a noob, or Hopper. (One of these things is not like the others).
Wait, which are you? Which am I!?
treellama
Vidmaster

General Tacticus wrote:The engine already simulates camera pitch via offset and re-projection in the opengl renderer. It only does this on one axis right now, but you could do the exact same thing horizontally to fill between the current rotational increments.
BlastFrog wrote:Two software renderer requests
You're each gonna need your own fork.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

General Tacticus wrote: It is worth noting that among the people here, only two have produced anything more substantial than a handful of net-maps in the past year.

Better a productive newbie than a useless veteran.
So making a handful of netmaps is useless, but all of your contributions have been truly amazing. Got it.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

treellama wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Why is everyone on these forums these days either trolling, a noob, or Hopper. (One of these things is not like the others).
Wait, which are you? Which am I!?
I'm not on these forums these days, and you're Hopper.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

When only noobs say anything, trolling is the only proper response. There's only 5 people left on these forums, so it's not like that's saying much.
PerseusSpartacus
Mjolnir Mark IV

Trolling is never the proper response - I think that's the point we've been trying to make this entire time. There is, if I may paraphrase you, no "perfect amount of douche", there is only being a douche, and being a douche is always bad.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

In your opinion, which I don't care about.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

can we just delete this entire fucking website now
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Deleting is a bit stupid. I could see locking the entire thing though.
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:can we just delete this entire fucking website now
Wrkncacnter wrote: I could see locking the entire thing though.
Noooooooooooooooo….

This is a fascinating place. There is much to be learned here in the old posts and some o them are just plain interesting, indeed entertaining, to read.

E.g. I have learned what a fork is.
Correct me if’n I’m wrong, but it is making a copy of the engine and then programming in the changes you want to make and using it to play. If this is the case, I don’t understand all the bickering. Code modification is easy (don’t confuse tedious with hard): small change, test, rinse & repeat. On the other hand, perhaps Wally was right when he said: “Anything worth doing is too hard.”

And there must be more than 5 people here. Perhaps people are content to read and learn without commenting.

I only post about 10 per cent of my comments for two reasons: first, they are usually mundane; second, I often don’t know exactly what the discussion, interesting though it is, is about and it’s unwise to write about things you don’t know anything about; and third…
I only post about 10 per cent of my comments for three, three reasons: first, they are usually mundane; second, I often don’t know exactly what the discussion, interesting though it is, is about and it’s unwise to write about things you don’t know anything about; and third, the discussion is informative and I don’t see any reason to intrude.

Keep it going.
View it as a mission, A Canticle for Marathon, as it were.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

HelviusRufus wrote: E.g. I have learned what a fork is.
Correct me if’n I’m wrong, but it is making a copy of the engine and then programming in the changes you want to make and using it to play. If this is the case, I don’t understand all the bickering.
Forking is a pretty big deal, because every change/improvement to AlephOne from that point forward won't necessarily be introduced into the forked version. Someone would have to spend extra time and effort to apply the change in both places. And you'd have to decide whether you even want the change.

Over time the 2 engines will diverge enough to the point where some players will only like one engine, and others will only like the other. Then you've just split the community in two.

I'm not saying any of this is a bad thing, just why you wouldn't want to fork a project without having a good reason.