Stateless lights

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

I have a strong suspicion I've asked this before, but i couldn't find it, so Im asking it again/now.
The forge manual claims that, when you check stateless on a light, it runs through all six states every time. I don't have the impression it does, though. Is this one of the many things that bungie decided not to be important but that they were too lazy to remove anyway?
Last edited by Drictelt on Aug 2nd '08, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
treellama
Vidmaster

It looks like they are implemented to me. Something not working for you?
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Sorry I... don't understand what you mean...
treellama
Vidmaster

Do you have a stateless light that doesn't work
Drictelt
Vidmaster

Well, yes. I have made some test map and checked a light with stateless, but it just behaves like a normal light. I'm attaching it.

[attachment=1841:Statelesstest.zip]
Attachments
Statelesstest.zip
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
treellama
Vidmaster

Sure enough, they do not work. Unfortunately, fixing it will break film/net compatibility, so into that pile it goes.

You can follow the bug here. Once we get proper core engine behavior versioning, it should be an easy fix.

Thanks for making that map, it made finding the problem easy.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 2nd '08, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
Drictelt
Vidmaster

It doesn't work in forge either. Actually I thought it was just something like the locked door option, but if youre going to fix it, all the better [MUp]
I don't know what the versioning behavior thing means, though.
treellama
Vidmaster

Core engine versioning is a way to tell the engine "behave as if you're Marathon 2," or, "behave as if you're the 20051119 release of Aleph One" so that film replay and net games are consistent. That's a huge undertaking nobody has started yet.
The Man
Vidmaster

When I looked at the problem about ten years ago I vaguely remember coming to the conclusion that stateless lights actually do work, what's broken is just Forge's implementation of them - in other words, creating a new light and clicking "stateless" won't actually cause the "stateless" flag to stick. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of maps in the Trilogy which use stateless maps that work fine, and I remember there being a way to go in with a hex editor and alter whether the flag is set in the map file itself, but I can't remember what it is.

That said, maybe I'm just misremembering since it was ten years ago, so if that's the case, then HAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS.
Last edited by The Man on Aug 8th '08, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge