Minor Feature Idea

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I don't know if you're still developing Tree but If you ever feel urge to do so again, I'm hoping you would consider to add an option for the host to override team color selection. It never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is to get 6 people into 2 teams of 2. If it is more work then it is worth then, of course, don't bother.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Feb 1st '09, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

herecomethej2000 wrote:I don't know if you're still developing Tree but If you ever feel urge to do so again, I'm hoping you would consider to add an option for the host to override team color selection. It never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is to get 6 people into 2 teams of 2. If it is more work then it is worth then, of course, don't bother.
I probably won't add that, but I might add a boot player option at the gather screen, like Myth has. If people won't cooperate, boot them.

FWIW I don't think it's mathematically possible to get 6 people into 2 teams of 2.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 1st '09, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

did i hear some talk about MATHEMATICS

-- edit --

also, did i hear someone say something RETARDED?

if there was ever a thermo-signal, this is it
Last edited by thermoplyae on Feb 1st '09, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

herecomethej2000 wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is to get 6 people into 2 teams of 2. If it is more work then it is worth then, of course, don't bother.
Treellama wrote:FWIW I don't think it's mathematically possible to get 6 people into 2 teams of 2.
thermoplyae wrote:did i hear some talk about MATHEMATICS

-- edit --

also, did i hear someone say something RETARDED?

if there was ever a thermo-signal, this is it
herecomethej2000 wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is to get 6 people into 2 teams of 2.

I don't know why everyone is has become so offended and insulting to this guy.
Apparently he has done this before. And if my grammar is correct, it seems hes done this MORE THAN ONCE.

Its not RETARDED.

Its AMAZING!!!!
$lave

herecomethej2000 wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how difficult it is to get 6 people into 2 teams of 3.
fix'd (Although he could have meant 3 teams of two)

EDIT: I actually think it would be a decent idea fwiw, but it's probably not worth the effort.
Last edited by $lave on Feb 2nd '09, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Lol oh gosh. I must have completely spaced.out, I had meant 2 teams of 3, though 3 of 2 is even more of a complicated task. Yeah boot in gather screen would definitely be nice on occasion, but it may also be overkill in terms of simple team organization, unless you plan on being a real hard liner. [MSmile] A lot of it is simple confusion, and people being colorblind enough to not tell the difference between slate and blue. But sure sounds good. Thanks.
thermoplyae wrote:also, did i hear someone SAY something RETARDED?
Fwiw, I don't think you can physically SAY anything on a web forum where the only form of communication, that I see, is trough text. As long as we are splitting hairs, I certainly don't want to be left out. Quite frankly everything else people said was in good humor, but your post comes off as derisive. Personally I have yet to see anything that you post as being, anyway in the slightest, useful or intelligent.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Feb 2nd '09, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

herecomethej2000 wrote:trough text.
Yeah, that's about right.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
treellama
Vidmaster

herecomethej2000 wrote:Yeah boot in gather screen would definitely be nice on occasion, but it may also be overkill in terms of simple team organization, unless you plan on being a real hard liner. [MSmile] A lot of it is simple confusion, and people being colorblind enough to not tell the difference between slate and blue.
Well, one easy solution is not to use blue or slate as team colors, if you're worried about people being colorblind! There are 6 others to choose from, after all.

I'm considering getting rid of the iconic Players In Game display, and moving to one that is closer to the original Marathon, but also that looks like the metaserver display. If teams are on, perhaps sorting players by team would help everybody get to the right place?

You'll still have one or two people from your team drop, or TK you all game. Team games will still suck.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

That sounds like a good idea to me. I actually liked the look of the original game, and it certainly makes it easy to tell the difference between blue and slate as both colors would be right next to each other.

As for teams sucking. I generally play 1 or 2 EMFH games with the group before I attempt any team battles. I find it good practice to find out who is likely to drop out and which teams need to be stacked for balance. As for TKers, don't let them in, or if you do accidentally, the boot feature would be nice ;)
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Feb 2nd '09, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

A boot feature would promote sore losers.
treellama
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:A boot feature would promote sore losers.
Just to clarify, I meant in the gather screen, not in game.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

If people are bothered by TKing, a simple lua script could disable friendly fire. Someone may have already written such a script.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

The point is to play with people willing to play. You really shouldn't have to resort to needless scripts, and would be useless in the end anyway.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Leave team killing as it is.

Team Killing is a risk. If you turn it off, you're only helping the colorblind and people who just want to shoot everything (n00bs)

Here's another option. A penalty for team killing, you kill a team mate and you're dead for XX seconds. Or a way to identify the team killer.

And, whatever is done, if anything, should be optional.
goran
Vidmaster

I like how they solved this in halo 3. IF someone teamkills you, you're asked whether you want to boot the player or not.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

I like how it is handled in A1. If the guy is particularly annoying/troublesome wait 5-7 minutes until the game is over and never let the jerk in again. You can even mute him if he starts complaining.
I find it most satisfying.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Feb 4th '09, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Iritscen
Cyborg

ukimalefu wrote:Team Killing is a risk. If you turn it off, you're only helping the colorblind and people who just want to shoot everything (n00bs)
And what exactly is wrong with helping the colorblind? I don't *like* accidentally killing my teammates because I couldn't differentiate colors during a fast-moving firefight, I can assure you. If I could grow the missing cones in my eyes by sheer willpower, I would do something to correct the situation on my end. Anyway, the solution isn't a script, as others have said; it's choosing clearly different colors for the teams.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Iritscen wrote:And what exactly is wrong with helping the colorblind? I don't *like* accidentally killing my teammates because I couldn't differentiate colors during a fast-moving firefight, I can assure you. If I could grow the missing cones in my eyes by sheer willpower, I would do something to correct the situation on my end. Anyway, the solution isn't a script, as others have said; it's choosing clearly different colors for the teams.
Ok, bad choice of words. Sorry.

But I also said that turning off team killing should be optional.

I agree about choosing different colors. The host gets to decide. And like somebody said, if someone isn't cooperating, just re-host and don't let them in again.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think the biggest improvements for team play would be if it were the user's shirt color that changed to the team color (instead of, or in addition to pants), and colored chat in the console.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Vladtepes
Cyborg

I think that can be quite easy to do with a lua netscript
you can give two players the same player color (shirt) via lua (cf ctf lua)
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
Vladtepes
Cyborg

I've done it !

Check Simplici7y and give your opinion
irons wrote:QUOTE(irons @ Dec 18 2009, 12:47 AM) LEAVE ME ALONE STOP HURTING MY FEELINGS
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

VladTepes wrote:I think that can be quite easy to do with a lua netscript
you can give two players the same player color (shirt) via lua (cf ctf lua)
Yeah, sounds like that would do the trick. I'll have to add learning lua to my TODO list.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

VladTepes wrote:I've done it !

Smooth!
interion
Cyborg

VladTepes wrote:I've done it !

Looks like either a very old script or you're using an outdated version of the Lua guide.
Image Image
Vladtepes
Cyborg

Actually I took those functions looking at some examples, mainly the ctf lua where I got this idea.
It works well with the old functional syntax, but I can rewrite it with the new object way if it is that deprecated