The (hopefully) official "wishlist" thread.

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Stereoglyphic Red/Cyan is easy (even Sony Vegas has an option for it) , Anaglyph is in some other game (not sure but I think someone said Minecraft)
but personally, I wouldn't mind either, so long as it's not crosseyed... It hurts and focusing it dead center is HARD. There's no way it's practical.
I think that the M1 filetype support is where it's at. I'm glad that that is finally coming around (no matter how slowly).
"Escape will make me God"
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

Good mouse support would be nice. As well as 16x9 aspect ratios.
Yup, water, oreo's and pills. That's all a gamer needs.
Don't remember the user that said this, wish I could.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

hawkeyefile wrote:As well as 16x9 aspect ratios.
You want this.
Asylum wrote:Properly optimised 3D models, or whatever is the issue that causes horrific framerates with them on screen.
Try the Shader renderer, if your computer can handle it -- I've only seen the slowdown in Classic.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

hawkeyefile wrote:Good mouse support would be nice.
What's wrong with the current mouse support?
"Escape will make me God"
Blastfrog
Cyborg

DADDY Z3RO wrote:What's wrong with the current mouse support?
It just doesn't feel right, try playing something like Quake or ZDoom and you'll see a huge difference in the mouse controls. Aleph One's mouse control is just awkward, I simply cannot play with it. The movement feels very un-mouse-like (feels more like really poor joystick emulation), I can't really describe it. One problem is that vertical looking is extremely slow compared to horizontal looking. That, and it's very unsmooth.
Stealth
Born on Board

Aleph One: Built in updater

Dedicated servers? Not sure if in the possibility of the game, maybe allow a user to host a network game that has a 60 second join time, plays out and then sets up a new game automatically.
Let us, moreover, exchange presents that it may be said among the Achaeans and Trojans, 'They fought with might and main, but were reconciled and parted in friendship.' On this Hector gave Ajax a silver-studded sword with its sheath and leathern baldric, and in return Ajax gave him a girdle dyed with purple.

-Homer, The Iliad. 7. 433.
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

Sodaholic486 wrote:It just doesn't feel right, try playing something like Quake or ZDoom and you'll see a huge difference in the mouse controls. Aleph One's mouse control is just awkward, I simply cannot play with it. The movement feels very un-mouse-like (feels more like really poor joystick emulation), I can't really describe it. One problem is that vertical looking is extremely slow compared to horizontal looking. That, and it's very unsmooth.
Sweet jesus, someone actually noticed this besides me. Been bugging the A1 devs about this since the beginning and they always ignore me.
herecomethej2000
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey, use to be worse. This is paradise compared to the first Marathon. ;)
Stealth wrote:Dedicated servers? Not sure if in the possibility of the game, maybe allow a user to host a network game that has a 60 second join time, plays out and then sets up a new game automatically.
Now that is an interesting idea! Might have a problem of the host computer standing around doing nothing every game except taking up a player slot, but interesting none the less.
Last edited by herecomethej2000 on Dec 5th '11, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

herecomethej2000 wrote:Hey, use to be worse. This is paradise compared to the first Marathon.
True, Back then mouse support was craptastic. However I try bringing it up every year (for the last 11 years) to the a1 devs and they're like, "Mouse support? Whats wrong with it?" I don't think they get it. I tried to get a netgame setup with my friends but they would not play the game due to the bad mouse support.
The problem with the mouse is that it is not precise enough, for example; move you mouse really slowly, (I mean really slowly). You will notice it skips like 6 or 7 pixels instead of the usual 1 in every game made since the late 90's. I think the a1 devs are stuck in 1995 mode where mouse support is optional. Also the new new release has some fun bugs, I think it should have stayed as an RC for a while longer.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Adjust the mouse sensitivity in A1's preferences (not your OS's preferences)

It makes a BIG difference IMHO.

I lower it a bit. The default just doesn't work for me.
Zott
Vidmaster

I am reminded of this thread. Could better mouse support ruin backwards compatibility?

http://www.pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5455
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

hawkeyefile wrote:I think the a1 devs are stuck in 1995 mode where mouse support is optional.
You do realize that the purpose of the engine is to allow people to play games that were released around 1995, right? There are plenty of other engines around that are designed to work with newer games. If you don't like the way Marathon actually works, then maybe you should take your mouse and get the hell out.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

hawkeyefile
Cyborg

W wrote:You do realize that the purpose of the engine is to allow people to play games that were released around 1995, right? There are plenty of other engines around that are designed to work with newer games. If you don't like the way Marathon actually works, then maybe you should take your mouse and get the hell out.
Woah, zdoom is based off of a game made in 1993 and has the smoothest mouse support ever.
Are you also telling me that there is a Marathon engine besides A1 that has smooth mouse support? I'm just kind of strange about it I guess because they add all of these features to the engine and completely ignore the mouse rendering. I doubt I'm the only one who noticed this, I also doubt I am the only mouse playing player who had a few in MP slip away because the mouse is really skippy. Also W'rkncacnter that felt hostile.
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

ukimalefu wrote:Adjust the mouse sensitivity in A1's preferences (not your OS's preferences)

It makes a BIG difference IMHO.

I lower it a bit. The default just doesn't work for me.
I don't think you see it either, I've tried every setting imaginable. It actually lies in the engine's rendering system somewhere, which has changed little due to the backwards compatibility of films.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

I personally never use the mouse.

How but built in matches? Where it take the winner from a previous matches and pits them together randomly?
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

listener wrote:I personally never use the mouse.

How but built in matches? Where it take the winner from a previous matches and pits them together randomly?
Now that sounds like a good idea (the second part).
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

*Not all of my ideas are dumb*

But is it possible?
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

Almost anything is possible. However is it possible for the A1 devs to get on it, now that's the real question.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

How do you suggest a feature?

Here? Sourceforge? Or Pm.
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

listener wrote:How do you suggest a feature?

Here? Sourceforge? Or Pm.
sourceforge.
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

Asylum wrote:That's because it was hostile. Nobody likes reasonable people with reasonable arguments, so take your mouse and get the hell out. Meanwhile we hipster computer users will continue to use only keyboard input.
Didn't mean to be rude, just wanted better mouse support.
Also "Nobody likes reasonable people with reasonable arguments" sounds weird. What's wrong with being reasonable?
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

Too bad there's nothing reasonable about hawkeyefile. If I seem hostile, it's only because I don't like him.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

hawkeyefile wrote:sourceforge.

Been there. Page confused the crap out of me.

Could someone check to make sure that the request actually went through.
My computer has been known to "ghost". (Show things that aren't there.)
hawkeyefile
Cyborg

Asylum wrote:Oh god I hate this guy, he suggests things for Aleph One I don't like. Therefore I'm going behave towards him in a way that would be incredibly awkward in person.
I feel the same about you, hugs and kisses.
On another note dedicated server support would be awesome.