Aleph One 1.0b1

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Check "Overlay Map" in graphics preferences.
It turns out I was downloading the wrong version.
I got the beta working fine now, and I'll try and bring up any bugs I find.
interion
Cyborg

This screenshot is from the beginning of Ne Cede Malis, on Normal brightness. Is it supposed to look this dark? I've played a few games with the beta and everything is much darker than I remember. I've tried using both regular OpenGL and OpenGL (Shader) and disabling any plugins.
Image Image
treellama
Vidmaster

Does adjusting the brightness using F11/F12 have any effect?
interion
Cyborg

Treellama wrote:Does adjusting the brightness using F11/F12 have any effect?
I used F12 to increase the brightness to maximum and I could clearly see the floor directly in front of me but everything beyond about 1 WU looked the same. I took another screenshot but with Aleph One closed it looks the same as one taken at normal brightness, for reasons I'm sure you understand.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tim wrote:Is it supposed to look this dark? I've played a few games with the beta and everything is much darker than I remember.
Do you have "Gamma-corrected Blending" enabled? (Preferences > Graphics > Rendering Options > General)
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I tested it out and noticed some problems with the Scenario Seeker. I tested out several scenarios by selecting them from an Aleph One in my downloads folder, and some of them appeared to work and others didn't. When they "didn't work", the screen was black and had a mouse, and allowed me to force quit.

However! I eventually noticed that the scenarios did work after all, they just took about 40 seconds to load the main screen.

M2, M?, Pheonix, Eternal, and Apotheosis didn't have some massive load time, but all of the other scenarios did.

From what I can tell, the long load time has nothing to do with how much stuff is in the folder.
-----

I also noticed that the TTEP items have mysterious borders around them (which they don't have in the previous build, nor do they have them in Rubicon X or Eternal):

[attachment=4637:BORDER.jpg]

But anyway, I love the floating map, and how the laggyness disappears when you keep getting error messages from lua scripts. So far I haven't found anything wrong with it other than that.
Attachments
BORDER.jpg
BORDER.jpg (124.35 KiB) Viewed 6431 times
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Feb 23rd '11, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

"TTEP items"
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
treellama
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote:problems
Hopper wrote:And double thanks for posting your specs like the sticky asks.
interion
Cyborg

Hopper wrote:Do you have "Gamma-corrected Blending" enabled? (Preferences > Graphics > Rendering Options > General)
Yes. I disabled it and everything is back to looking how I remember it.
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

solra !!!
dude, seriously. dude.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Wow! 1.0 at last!

Thanks to everybody involved (Treellama et al) for getting it this far.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Shadowbreaker wrote:From what I can tell, the long load time has nothing to do with how much stuff is in the folder.
I'm going to guess your download folder has a lot of stuff in it, though. Aleph One still looks for content in a few places besides the chosen scenario folder, and I'm guessing the wait is due to it scouring your downloads folder for MML, textures, etc. Try making a new empty folder, move Aleph One inside, and repeat the experiment. Let me know if that makes a difference; thanks!
zero
Mjolnir Mark IV

Good build!

I see a lot of cool things were added.

However, has anyone noticed that all the fonts in this release look blurred and fuzzy?

It was not like that in the last one, and I checked.
"Escape will make me God"
treellama
Vidmaster

Windows is rendering fonts correctly now, that's probably what you're seeing. Mac OS X has looked like that for several releases.
treellama
Vidmaster

Ares Ex Machina wrote:I have found what appears to be a bug: in software mode, pressing F3 to switch between hi res and low res does one of two things: it either causes parts of the HUD to go completely black, or it crashes the game entirely. Should I file a report?
I can confirm F3 causes the HUD not to get redrawn. Probably some overzealous mode switch reducing code. I can't get the game to crash by screwing with F3, but I can by starting a game with the software renderer, switching the bit depth, then starting another game. world_pixels appears to be NULL when I do that...more overzealous mode switch reducing code?
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

DADDY Z3RO wrote:However, has anyone noticed that all the fonts in this release look blurred and fuzzy?
The front end buttons look very slightly different, because they use a different font ("Use Tim Larson's awesome new OFL licensed Squarish Sans CT Medium font for buttons"). It doesn't look blurry to me, though. The title screen does look blurrier than it used to, which I believe is because of how OpenGL filters textures when upscaling them. I'd provide a screenshot highlighting the difference, but it seems Aleph One and Snapz Pro don't get along when in fullscreen mode.
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Crater Creator wrote:The title screen does look blurrier than it used to, which I believe is because of how OpenGL filters textures when upscaling them.
If you run in fullscreen and have "Fill the Screen" checked, previous versions would switch your monitor to 640x480 for the title screen and pre-game dialogs (preferences, metaserver window, etc.). Now, we leave the monitor at your chosen in-game resolution, and scale the graphics with OpenGL. This could wind up looking either better or worse, depending on the quality of your monitor and your OpenGL drivers.

I'll see if different OpenGL options would make things look nicer. You can also turn off "Fill the Screen": then the title screen and dialogs will be centered instead of scaled up, which will leave them nice and sharp if you play games at your monitor's native resolution.
treellama
Vidmaster

tertor wrote:I'd provide a screenshot highlighting the difference, but it seems Aleph One and Snapz Pro don't get along when in fullscreen mode.
You should be able to press F9 and get a screenshot.
Hopper wrote:I'll see if different OpenGL options would make things look nicer.
All you get is GL_NEAREST and GL_LINEAR for mag filters. GL_LINEAR is very good on modern hardware (at least, all of mine); as good as the scaler in any LCD monitor.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 24th '11, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
ChristTrekker
Cyborg

Ooo, so exciting, I'll have to get back to work on the font and do some kerning.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:You should be able to press F9 and get a screenshot.
Hopper wrote:If you run in fullscreen and have "Fill the Screen" checked, previous versions would switch your monitor to 640x480 for the title screen and pre-game dialogs (preferences, metaserver window, etc.). Now, we leave the monitor at your chosen in-game resolution, and scale the graphics with OpenGL. This could wind up looking either better or worse, depending on the quality of your monitor and your OpenGL drivers.
Ah. I assumed the built-in screenshot function only worked during play. And that explains it, then: the screenshot from 0.23.2 is 640x480 even though it appears at the same size as in 1.0b1. Apple's system function for rendering the screen at lower than native resolution looks sharper, yet more pixellated than what Aleph One does now.
Zott
Vidmaster

The fading is very nice on the menus.

I was playing a game online and it felt as though I was surviving rockets I shouldn't have. At one point in the last 30 seconds of the game I appeared to survive a close proximity rocket. Whether this was due to the explosion calculation quirks, or do to this being a Wetpeack map with its scripting I'm unsure. You can check out the replay if you are interested. I didn't have the chance to ask the other player what version of Aleph One he was using.
[attachment=4639:Survived_a_rocket.zip]

Otherwise, it does seem overall that I'm seeing the sprites clipping through objects more than the last OpenGL Shader version. Can't give a specific spot though.

Specs:
G50V - Windows 7 x64 Professional
P8400 2.26Ghz
Nvidia 9700m GT
Running Aleph One in OpenGL Shader mode
Attachments
Survived_a_rocket.zip
(103.62 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Last edited by Zott on Feb 27th '11, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Zott wrote:The fading is very nice on the menus.
Glad you like it!
Otherwise, it does seem overall that I'm seeing the sprites clipping through objects more than the last OpenGL Shader version. Can't give a specific spot though.
I've been through the code changes since 0.23.2, and I can't find anything different as far as clipping goes. AFAICT, it's no better and no worse than current stable.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong with a specific example -- if there is a bug to find, I desperately want to find it. Without any clues, though, I have to chalk it up to the observer effect, making the same old clipping problems more noticeable.
Specs:
[MSmile] THANK YOU! [MSmile]
Kurinn
Mjolnir Mark IV

Is anyone else noticing that text overlays in Lua aren't working?
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Sweet. We finally get AlephOne One. Thanks for all the hard work on this.

I'm not sure this is a bug, but I can't see the crosshair when I look at the overlay map. Is it impossible to render both?