Linux Installation Problems

Have a question, suggestion, or comment about Aleph One's features and functionality (Lua, MML, the engine itself, etc)? Post such topics here.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

When I use make, it all goes well, until it demands something called "Speex". I go into my package manager, see that it's already installed, but install another package called speex anyways. I try to make again, but I get the following at the end:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../../Source_Files/CSeries -I../../Source_Files/Files -I../../Source_Files/GameWorld -I../../Source_Files/Input -I../../Source_Files/LibNAT -I../../Source_Files/Network/Metaserver -I../../Source_Files/Misc -I../../Source_Files/ModelView -I../../Source_Files/Pfhortran -I../../Source_Files/RenderMain -I../../Source_Files/RenderOther -I../../Source_Files/Sound -I../../Source_Files/TCPMess -I../../Source_Files/XML -I../../Source_Files/Lua -I../../Source_Files -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -DSDL -g -O2 -MT network_microphone_sdl_alsa.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/network_microphone_sdl_alsa.Tpo -c -o network_microphone_sdl_alsa.o network_microphone_sdl_alsa.cpp
In file included from network_microphone_sdl_alsa.cpp:29:0:
network_speex.h:32:36: fatal error: speex/speex_preprocess.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[4]: *** [network_microphone_sdl_alsa.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/username/Games/AlephOne-20110417/Source_Files/Network'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/username/Games/AlephOne-20110417/Source_Files/Network'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/username/Games/AlephOne-20110417/Source_Files'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/username/Games/AlephOne-20110417'
make: *** [all] Error 2

When I searched Speex in my package manager, I found the following packages, already installed:

speex (The one I installed)
libspeex1
libspeex-dev
libspeexdsp-dev
libspeexdsp1

My specs:
Ubuntu 11.04 on Linux 2.6.38.6
AMD Athlon X2 Processor
1 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7200 (I think?)
Last edited by TectonInd on May 15th '11, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

You can probably just remove the offending #include. Whether that fixes it or not, it would help if you file a bug, so one of us remembers to fix it the right way (if that is possible).

Speex is used solely for the net mic, so if you don't need that, another option is to compile without it.
Last edited by treellama on May 16th '11, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Filed a bug report on sourceforge. Haven't tried recompiling yet, but I'll do that soon. Thanks.
Johnny Debt

Hi,
I have a similar problem with the following outcome from 'sudo make'

Network/libnetwork.a(network_speex.o): In function `destroy_speex_encoder()':
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:78: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_state_destroy'
Network/libnetwork.a(network_speex.o): In function `init_speex_encoder()':
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:56: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_state_init'
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:59: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_ctl'
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:61: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_ctl'
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:64: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_ctl'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [alephone] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424'

If there is a problem with speex how do I take it out of the make process? Which file do I edit?
$lave

Sorry for the wait approving your post. Welcome to the pfhorums, Johnny Debt.
treellama
Vidmaster

Johnny Debt wrote:Hi,
I have a similar problem with the following outcome from 'sudo make'

Network/libnetwork.a(network_speex.o): In function `destroy_speex_encoder()':
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:78: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_state_destroy'
Network/libnetwork.a(network_speex.o): In function `init_speex_encoder()':
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:56: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_state_init'
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:59: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_ctl'
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:61: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_ctl'
/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files/Network/network_speex.cpp:64: undefined reference to `speex_preprocess_ctl'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [alephone] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424/Source_Files'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/noj/Games/AlephOne-20100424'
If there is a problem with speex how do I take it out of the make process? Which file do I edit?
I assume you're on a Debian based system: they split speex up into two pieces, libspeex, and libspeexdsp. You need to install both libraries.

Alternatively, you can configure --disable-speex if you don't care about the network microphone.