Some thoughts on the story by One STONED Stork

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Storkinator

Okay, I wsa smoking a strawberry blunt wit some peeps and then I went home and decided to log some hours playing Infinity when suddennly the entire marathon universe became clear. What you are about to read will blow your mind (though it's probably not how the developers originally planned the story).

There is and only ever was one AI: Durandal. Think about it: would a space station need one superpowerful computer JUST to run doors? Any computer from this age could handle that task. Durandal is schizophrenic and Leela and Tycho are his alter-egoes.
The player also doesn't exist. He is Gerritt White, an idea spawned in the convuluted CPU of Durandal as he began to become rampant.
The entier trilogy chronicles Durandal's spiral into insanity and oblivion before his "death"
The end of infinity is not the end of the universe, but rather the end of durandal's life before he is shut down. Once he is dead, the universe will cease to exist for him.

Ummm, that's as far as I got before I got bored. I was stoned, so don't judge me as a person for this. I may add more if I feel so inclined.

P.S. - Durandal's magic number is 420

P.P.S. - 7th post!!!!!!!
Last edited by Storkinator on Mar 1st '06, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
shongshong
Vidmaster

shure, that plot makes sence I gues.. I like the alter ego idea!

lol, when I got here I read your tittle of this topic, "some thoughts on the story by one STONED stork" I was expecting you to be making up one of thoes werid ass stories about stoned storks.. but I didnt find storks or anyone stoned in your log. [MTongue]
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
FluffyCubed
Born on Board

That... doesn't hold together.

anyway, you don't die at the end of Infinity. You gain mastership of your time travel ability, prevent the Trih'Xeem from being activated, defeat Battle Group Seven, and bugger off with Durandal.

Edit: Well, not necessarily with Durandal. Durandal/Thoth releases "what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul", and tells you to go. That could be slightly tricky, since Blake just left the system, and you don't have a ride...

The text on the ending screen (Presumed to be Durandal) suggests that you're not around with him at the Closure, and S'buth has apparently died somehow along the way; possibly even back in Infinity, maybe the Pfhor wars, or some other, mysterious adventure. He talks about the Security Officer as something remembered from a distant past, but it's not clear whether there was another reunion later down the line, or quite what happened to you at the end of Infinity.

It's also worth noting that he refers to his quest to Escape as "Once I though to escape"; maybe he never did fulfill his hopes...
Though that would put a serious dampener on some of my more extravagant theories ;)

Of course, it's also worth pointing that he refers to himself as talking during Closure, as everything is one point :D And only then, can he truly understand who we were... because of course at that point, he is God. And I'd hazard to guess, remains around, for the next go. Mayhaps he'll strike down the W'rkncacnter, build outposts in odd places, leave a message on the Earth, and after a while, descend into sleep; on the homeworld of the race he created...

Oh, and on-topic: Durandal wasn't just there to open doors, and he wasn't superpowerful. Durandal was there because Bernhard wanted to run tests and experiments on the AI he'd managed to freeze during the first stage of Rampancy. And none of the AIs were superpowerful until they got through Rampancy, and became meta-stable; as all three did in the end. Technically, Leela was the most powerful of the three ;) And she seems to have gotten her hands on the largest network too; though we can never be sure what Durandal has going for him, the sly wanker =)

And on a COMPLETELY unrelated and random note: Does anyone else think it would be poetically fitting if the SO's name turned out to be Roland?
Last edited by FluffyCubed on Mar 1st '06, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
tombland

*WHOOSH*

Nice try, stork. And pretty impressive for stoned ramblings. But that kinda just destroyed your theory...
Storkinator

AIs NOT superpowerful?

I recall the Pfhor took images of Tycho's 64 BILLION exobyte core to make their clones of him. PLUS, in rampancy, AIs infect all other computers in their network. When Durandal went rampant, wouldn't he have infected the other AIs with images of himself? During the final levels, we see Leela's messages getting more and more incoherent and in Try Again, her core is being reformatted. Then suddenly, she is back to normal for Inque Ferroque and we never read another word from her in the Marathon universe. And why do we not get a single computer message from Tycho until "Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones?" What's more, we learn that Leela has less power over the ship than we think. Durandal contacts us externally through a maintenance terminal Leela didn't even know about.

Also, being rampant, why would an AI delete himself from an asteroid sized computer network, especially in the jealous stage of rampany?

Leela says:

I feel compelled to share with you that Durandal has left the
ship. I can find him nowhere on our network, and traffic logs
over the last half hour show sixty-four billion exobytes
transferred off of and deleted from the Marathon.

I'm sure Durandal was not completely erased from the Marathon's network, and Leela's mysterious return to normalcy (why normalcy? Seems like normal + rampancy) had something to do with crafty old Durandal.

In the Gherritt White Terminal (the weirdest in the whole trilogy IMHO, and our first real contact with Durandal) the top heading says
<Data Transfer from Leela>
Host <39.59.19.21>
<Transfer Durandal>
<Error Unknown>

<Transfer Durandal>
<Error Unknown>

<Interior Error>

It seems Durandal is piggybacking on Leela's communication protocols to get to you. Leela doesn't know what the error is, and I'm sure when Leela was crippled during the alien attack, Durandal infiltrated as many of her subsystems as possible. And what is Tycho doing for the first 18 levels? There's at least a small chance that Durandal was controlling all 3 AIs (remember that the "evil" Tycho we deal with in M2 and MInf were reprogrammed by the Pfhor. We only deal with the real Tycho in a few terminals.)

There are many unanswered questions in the Marathon universe, but the one I'm itching to learn about is the fate of the Marathon. Since the Pfhor in that system were soundly defeated by us, how and when did the Pfhor get images of Leela's core? Where is the U.E.S.C. Marathon during M2 and MInf?
Last edited by Storkinator on Mar 2nd '06, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
FluffyCubed
Born on Board

Okay, here we go:

AIs abilities are massively increased during Rampancy, this is why Durandal is able to massively outmanoeuvre anyone else on the Marathon, and accomplish so much later. Leela's abilities and controls were massively damaged from Compiler infiltration and viruses, as well as losing big pieces of knowledge, such as the timeline (This is talked about in a few places later, namely the Lost Network Packets). Leela's disappearance is because the Pfhor disassemble her systems, and shift them for transport. Durandal's disappearance is because he's (Using the abilities available to him as he's in rampancy; remember Bernhard had him frozen in the stages) infiltrated the Pfhor systems, and moved home into the Corvette.

For most of the game, Tycho is being destroyed by Compilers. Eventually, he makes some deals, and ends up employed as a machinated mercenary for the Pfhor Command. His later remarks suggest he may have assisted in the "destruction" of Leela (None of the AIs learn about Leela's survival and subsequent Rampancy on the Vylae worlds during the game timelines).

Durandal uses Leela's communications as he's constrained by various barriers and commands; Bernhard locked him up, we cut off his access to some systems, that sort of thing.

And how exactly does the hard drive space an AI takes up reflect upon its powers and abilities? Oh, and AIs don't infect other AIs with images of themselves. We have one vague reference, in one case of rampancy, that the AI in question (Traxus IV) "infected" other AIs. That could mean anything from subsidising their systems for his own use, to simply triggering rampancy in them.

If you want to talk about bits of AIs staying around elsewhere, I advise you to follow the leads back on all the Martian AIs to Traxus, and realising it wouldn't be that tricky for various bits of Jjaro technology to have made their way into his construction...

Now, I also want to know what happened to the Marathon, and I'll give a cookie to anyone who digs through enough info to find out anything about it. Personally, I can only vaguely recall someone somewhere mentioning Pfhor plans to turn it into a bombardment platform...
Last edited by FluffyCubed on Mar 4th '06, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
ChauSara

Leela, or someone, said that due to the Marathon's large size, if converted, it could become a powerful weapons platform. The pfhor would definately want that.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

ChauSara wrote: Leela, or someone, said that due to the Marathon's large size, if converted, it could become a powerful weapons platform. The pfhor would definately want that.
Uh... no...

The Pfhor could have annihilated the Marathon whenever they wanted, there superior firepower, the Marathon as a weapons platform would be meaningless.
Peachey

Marathon must be fantastic when your stoned! All the wooshy sounds and the machine gunning WOOOOOOOOOO!
FluffyCubed
Born on Board

MoppyPuppy wrote: Uh... no...

The Pfhor could have annihilated the Marathon whenever they wanted, there superior firepower, the Marathon as a weapons platform would be meaningless.
The Marathon is the God of weapon hardpoints. And the Pfhor couldn't have annihilated the Marathon, anyway. They could have killed everyone on board by nuking it, but remember it's a moon. It's really hard to destroy moons.

The idea is to load it with particle cannons and nuclear capability, and you'd be able to destroy planetary defences and such almost unchallenged.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

FluffyCubed wrote: The Marathon is the God of weapon hardpoints. And the Pfhor couldn't have annihilated the Marathon, anyway. They could have killed everyone on board by nuking it, but remember it's a moon. It's really hard to destroy moons.

The idea is to load it with particle cannons and nuclear capability, and you'd be able to destroy planetary defences and such almost unchallenged.
Until you met some ass with the bright idea of shoving a missle up your ventilator shaft.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

it isn't much of a moon, its sort of a large asteroid that is a satellite. but i guess it would be a good weapons platform. If they had about 2 miles of solid rock to the living/command area, and then weapons on the surface it would be virtually indestructible. They'd just repair the weapons if it was attacked. But it might not have the materials. Although, why wouldn't the pfhor just take a moon in their system, Lh'owon's system, etc. They must have wanted something aboard the marathon. One of the AI's, perhaps? Hence the S'pht. Or, maybe they were going to enslave some other species. If marathon is a generation ship, it's gotta have a stable ecosystem. So maybe they wanted to enslave cows or pigs or something.

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

*Pfhor beats a pig with its staff*
Pfhor: PRODUCE BACON I SAY!!! PRODUCE!!!
Pig: SQUEEE!!!SQUEEE!!!SQUEEE!!!
*Pfhor hits a cow*
Pfhor: I AM YOUR MASTER!!! GIMME WHITE LIQUID STUFF!!!
Pfhor2: Hey, uh, man...
Pfhor: Yes?
Pfhor2: That's a bull.
Pfhor: Crap.
*Pfhor gets trampled by a bull*
The Pf'hak - Read it.
FluffyCubed
Born on Board

xyfbzi wrote: it isn't much of a moon, its sort of a large asteroid that is a satellite. but i guess it would be a good weapons platform. If they had about 2 miles of solid rock to the living/command area, and then weapons on the surface it would be virtually indestructible. They'd just repair the weapons if it was attacked. But it might not have the materials. Although, why wouldn't the pfhor just take a moon in their system, Lh'owon's system, etc. They must have wanted something aboard the marathon. One of the AI's, perhaps? Hence the S'pht. Or, maybe they were going to enslave some other species. If marathon is a generation ship, it's gotta have a stable ecosystem. So maybe they wanted to enslave cows or pigs or something.
It took seventy years to make the Marathon.
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

FluffyCubed wrote: It took seventy years to make the Marathon.
what's your point?

But Billy is no more.
Was H2S04.
FluffyCubed
Born on Board

xyfbzi wrote: what's your point?
Uh, you were asking why they'd take the Marathon rather than making their own from another moon. It's much easier for them to just steal someone else's than spend seventy years..
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

FluffyCubed wrote: Uh, you were asking why they'd take the Marathon rather than making their own from another moon. It's much easier for them to just steal someone else's than spend seventy years..
As I said before, the cows and pigs would kick the Pfhor's butts...so it'd probably be easier to just build a new one.
Grayswandir wrote: *Pfhor beats a pig with its staff*
Pfhor: PRODUCE BACON I SAY!!! PRODUCE!!!
Pig: SQUEEE!!!SQUEEE!!!SQUEEE!!!
*Pfhor hits a cow*
Pfhor: I AM YOUR MASTER!!! GIMME WHITE LIQUID STUFF!!!
Pfhor2: Hey, uh, man...
Pfhor: Yes?
Pfhor2: That's a bull.
Pfhor: Crap.
*Pfhor gets trampled by a bull*
[spnkr] SPNKed!!!
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Seriously, if you think about it, Pfhor have probably never seen livestock, and livestock can be vicious.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

Grayswandir wrote: As I said before, the cows and pigs would kick the Pfhor's butts...so it'd probably be easier to just build a new one.

[spnkr] SPNKed!!!
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
Seriously, if you think about it, Pfhor have probably never seen livestock, and livestock can be vicious.
same can be said for humans, and look what happened... well ok the humans won but that was only because of a giant cyborg guy. If there were cyborg cows then the pfhor would fail miserably, but there probably weren't. And seventy years isn't very long, really, and they could make a way less intricate ship.
Last edited by xyfbzi on Mar 12th '06, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.

But Billy is no more.
Was H2S04.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

But if the ship wasn't as intricate...it wouldn't be as cool, therefore, ruining its coolness factor and it would become the laughing stock of the spaceship schoolyard community.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

Grayswandir wrote: But if the ship wasn't as intricate...it wouldn't be as cool, therefore, ruining its coolness factor and it would become the laughing stock of the spaceship schoolyard community.
of course, but then the intense weapons power of it would destroy the spaceship schoolyard community.
sorry to storkinator for carrying on about a subject that has little to do with your original idea. just as my scout leader used to say, "We like to raise their self-esteem, then smash it down."

But Billy is no more.
Was H2S04.
oteito
Vidmaster

durandal says his father was Strauss, but maybe strauss didn't created him, just found him like we found Thoth and adopted durandal as his "parent". what if durandal was in fact an ancient Jjaro AI?
LOL
Coraxus
Cyborg

I'd be interested to know too of Marathon's fate, I mean take a look at the massive size of the ship. It's so friggin big and complex that it had to require 3 AIs to run it, 3, now there are none, so how is it functioning, or does it float dead over the orbit of Tau Ceti.

Hmm, perhaps some of the S'Phts may have remained, IDK. Like maybe the could have created a makeshift core of sometype, similar to what the P'Fhor had to run their scoutship. And as for wanting to destroy the Marathon, why and what for? Wouldn't it just take too much energy just to try to obliterate it in the first place?
oteito
Vidmaster

Coraxus wrote: I'd be interested to know too of Marathon's fate, I mean take a look at the massive size of the ship. It's so friggin big and complex that it had to require 3 AIs to run it, 3, now there are none, so how is it functioning, or does it float dead over the orbit of Tau Ceti.

Hmm, perhaps some of the S'Phts may have remained, IDK. Like maybe the could have created a makeshift core of sometype, similar to what the P'Fhor had to run their scoutship. And as for wanting to destroy the Marathon, why and what for? Wouldn't it just take too much energy just to try to obliterate it in the first place?
marathon was dismantled
LOL
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

wait, SO can time travel? wtf?

(refer to beginning of thread)
Can't speel for hist.
Theoretically
Born on Board

You played Marathon Infinity and you didn't find it strange that the SO officer was being given tasks from different sides? Yes the SO can time travel (or some entity is doing it for him...one of the two) as we are sent back in different timelines until we find one that can save the universe from pure chaos.
"How did they get ships into lake? It would take many men an hour to carry it across land and into lake."
-Soviet Conscript, Red Alert 3