Trilogy Box Set Old Marathon Betas and a Secret Video

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Storkinator

I recently rediscovered my Marathon Trilogy Box Set which came with 2 CDs, a black and white one. I hadn't run the CD under Mac OS X before, and while browsing the directory, I found some interesting tidbits: Old marathon betas (which I knew about before but didn't care about since they were betas) from the January 94 Macworld, and two versions from May and June. A few lines of simpletext warned of crashes when running them.

The coolest easter egg, however, is in the Gnop Folder: an invisible quicktime file entitled "Marathon Home Videos". It is 192 MB large and almost a half-hour long showing grainy footage of the original Bungie Team (Alex, Jason, Doug, and others with Tuncer filming) working on Marathon (and by working, I mean testing some single players and having a few LAN matches:-). There's not much more to the video except for the models for the original game boxes and a few minutes of "Operation: Desert Storm" but this is a little bit of Bungie history many marathon players may not have heard of. The video also explains why the Bungie Team took so long to release Marathon.

I'm sorry if everyone knows about this, I just found it and wanted to share my find with others. The betas are really small and if anyone wants to add them to their collection, just reply back.

P.S. - Join one of my Aleph One games sometime
JohannesG
Mjolnir Mark IV

this is old news... (and i mean really old ;) ) but mb there are some here that would like to know this... lots of new people in the marathon community that haven't been here since the beginning thanks to Aleph One.
pakkman781
Cyborg

Yup, pretty old news. I never got the Trilogy Box set, instead I've got all three original releases. The betas are on the Marathon 1 disc. I never saw the Gnop video tho...
Diomedes

I think the video sounds interesting. Is it being hosted anywhere?
Switch
Vidmaster

I've never seen it either, played for ever but I couldn't find the community for the longest time :P
Sam Lowry
Cyborg

Hi all

The box is also very neat as it folds out.
I would be happy to extract and convert the video.
I would need some webspace for it.
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it
Switch
Vidmaster

The backdoor will be up soon but If you need more bandwith that that you can aim it to me and ill upload it
rejneb

I don't have the boxset so I wouldn't mind getting the betas. Maybe you could upload them somewhere here.
Destroyer E

rejneb wrote: I don't have the boxset so I wouldn't mind getting the betas. Maybe you could upload them somewhere here.
I believe a rendition of the betas is done in M1A1. cmd-option-New Game to see all the levels, and then choose the ones you've never seen before.
pakkman781
Cyborg

Here's the Marathon Betas for all peeps who want them. Runs okay under classic, but the aliens are all buggered. Runs better on OS8...

Well, maybe not, I've tried to upload it twice, and it never works. As soon as Switch puts the backdoor up, I'll try there, and post the link...
Switch
Vidmaster

The backdoor is up
rejneb

ohhhhhh, classic, of course, strange that I didn't see that coming considering these are made before marathon 1 and that doesn't run on Aleph One... Off to stare at my PID files knowing that I will never be able to play them without classic
Grimes
Spazeroid

I'd heard of the "Marathon Home Videos" file a long time ago, but I never got the chance to watch it, seeing as I don't actually own the trilogy boxed set, just the Action Sack. (You see, I'm a Linux user trapped in the body of a filthy, filthy Windows whore who enjoys Mac games and long walks down alien corridors with my beloved WSTE-M shotguns at my side...)

Anyway, I'd be extremely grateful if someone stuck the video up on a server somewhere -- perhaps as an mpeg-4?
Last edited by Grimes on Jan 24th '06, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
"We have first raised a dust, and then complain we cannot see..."
Sam Lowry
Cyborg

Please do not post this url.
Upload it to the Backdoor and post the new url.

Mpeg-4
71.8 mb

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20User%...Uploads/MHV.zip
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
Peachey

Could someone post a rip of the Trilogy Box Set CDs on bittorent or something? Since Marathon is free these days anyway, would be good to see the extras in them.

For the guy trying to run classic why cant you run it? There are a few solutions depending on the Hardware.
Homocidal Ham
Cyborg

i was going to ask some one if there was a way to get the betas and extras from marathon trilogy box set and the stuff from the original marathon disks because i lost mine
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."
Sam Lowry
Cyborg

I will put the beta files up over the next few days.
benedictg

That home movie was the reason I decided video game design was the career for me. I can't reccomend watching it enough for people who are new to Bungie/Marathon (or if the first Bungie game you played was Halo...sneeeer). You really see what kind of operation Bungie was back before the Microsoft buyout,or even before the success of Marathon. There's no way to describe it other than punk rock video game development