does anybody ever play multiplayer??

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
JoeKool82185
Born on Board

Hey, sorry guys. Stupid n00b here with a stupid question (I was going to post on the Pfhorums section, but it said I didn't have permission to post there, so I figured I'd post here).

Are there still people playing Marathon 2 or Infinity on Aleph One? Not co-op, but straight multiplayer? Every time I go to play, I don't know whether to Find Internet Game or Join or whether Join By Address should be on or off, and the one time I got into a chatroom I was the only one there, so I'm not sure if I did it right (and not only what I made my name, it kept logging me in as a guest). Not only does the game keep screaming at me to download an update, but my firewall keeps screaming at me every time I even attempt to play (I'm attempting to play Durandal. Haven't even touched Infinity yet).

So I was pretty much just wondering how big is the Aleph One multiplayer community? Is it even worth attempting to download the updates and everything?
$lave

The lobby you got into (Find Internet Game) is where you sit to wait for someone to gather a game. You might want to try coming at different times of day, since there are only a handful of people who still play online. For the most part net games are only played on Infinity.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

There's the mariusnet widget, that lets you see if there's people playing without needing to launch the game. It's for Mac, don't know if there's anything like it for Windows or Linux.

The widget is available from Mariusnet. You'd have to search there, to find it.

http://www.mariusnet.com/

OR, you could come here and ask for players, set a date and time or something.

Or do that with some of your friends, get them to play Marathon.
treellama
Vidmaster

ukimalefu wrote:There's the mariusnet widget, that lets you see if there's people playing without needing to launch the game.
If everyone does that, then it will seem like no one is playing!
Last edited by treellama on Jul 17th '12, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:If everyone does that, then it will seem like no one is playing!
That makes sense... but it is what I do. Or did, haven't played in a long time.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV

I haven't in quite some time. A Co-op on Kill Them All v4 could be fun if it's possible.
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Jul 18th '12, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

try playing halo its better anyway trust me ive played both
Zott
Vidmaster

Join by address should be off to connect to the mariusnet server where most games are hosted.

Most people play with the Infinity data-files for online, though you could convince people to play with the Durandal data set. You could also host M2 maps with Infinity data-files if you so please, though the texturing will be different than normal.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
treellama
Vidmaster

Zott wrote:Join by address should be off to connect to the mariusnet server where most games are hosted.
No, doesn't matter. Clicking on a game in the metaserver turns it on if you turn it off anyway.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

gmanyo wrote:try playing halo its better anyway trust me ive played both
it's different... [spnkr]
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

ukimalefu wrote:OR, you could come here and ask for players, set a date and time or something.
That's a reasonable way to go, but you don't really see many "who's up for a game" type topics here. It's interesting how this community differs from other forums I frequent.
treellama
Vidmaster

It looks like For Carnage Apply Within still schedules games:

http://www.bungie.net/fanclub/carnage/Group/GroupHome.aspx

In my experience, they are pretty exclusive in who they gather on the metaserver, though, so you might have to join their group and make yourself known before they let you play.
Last edited by treellama on Jul 18th '12, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

ukimalefu wrote:There's the mariusnet widget, that lets you see if there's people playing without needing to launch the game. It's for Mac, don't know if there's anything like it for Windows or Linux.
Treellama wrote: If everyone does that, then it will seem like no one is playing!
ukimalefu wrote: That makes sense... but it is what I do. Or did, haven't played in a long time.
Ukimalefu is single-handedly shrinking the community. C'mon uki, we've been through this before.

JoeKool82185, check frequently by actually making an appearance in the gathering room (Arrival), and you will get to play games. You might not be able to get them right when you want them, but you will get them on a regular basis. Pro-Lurker Tip: use Alt+Enter for windowed mode.
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

You really should find out when people are available.
Wrkncacnter
Vidmaster

To combat people using the mariusnet widget, you should fire up a ton of bots to make it look like people are playing. It'll all even out.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

W wrote:To combat people using the mariusnet widget, you should fire up a ton of bots to make it look like people are playing. It'll all even out.
Great idea! Please add some more boretowers!
"My advise: V" - g pack
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wait, what? Boretower is a bot?

Now I feel like an idiot...
infwaffle
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yeah, the fact that it almost never speaks and sits there 24/7 should have tipped you off. It sometimes will throw out a line though
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

There are 4 people on right now, I checked with my widget [MTongue]

boretower2 is afk [MGrin]
Destiny
Mjolnir Mark IV

Listener, how did you not know that? He's always afk, occasionally logs out only to become afk again, and never talks.
listener
Mjolnir Mark IV

Hey, I don't do over the internet games much. It's mostly personal network over here!
Windbreaker
Mjolnir Mark IV

Destiny wrote:Listener, how did you not know that? He's always afk, occasionally logs out only to become afk again, and never talks.
Juiceman occasionally offers a word or two of wisdom. But before you know it, he's gone -- with no further explanation offered.