Jjaro

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

Why is it that in Pathways into Darkness, set in 1994, the Jjaro are alive, but in Marathon Infinity, set probably about 800 years in the future, it is stated that they disappeared millions of years ago?
Atomic Potato. Veteran Since '95.

"If you aren't running Mac OS 10.4.10, then you aren't running the exact same operating system that I am running." -- Me
assassingao
Vidmaster

Because they aren't in the same storyline.

Marathon are SUPPOSED to be pathway into darkness' sequel.

But it isn't.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Nono, as forrest told me, PiD is a prequele. The Jjaro accented to godhood millions of years ago, but came back to earth to kill the wrkncancter in the temple you blew up. The Wrk survives the temple.
FluffyCubed
Born on Board

"Disappeared" is a relative term. It just means the S'pht haven't heard from them since then. I certainly wouldn't put it past the Jjaro *coughDurandalThothcough* to leave a few automated things around to keep things orderly. Remember that the "Jjaro" who appears is a hologram, not the actual thing.
oteito
Vidmaster

Shadowbreaker wrote: Nono, as forrest told me, PiD is a prequele. The Jjaro accented to godhood millions of years ago, but came back to earth to kill the wrkncancter in the temple you blew up. The Wrk survives the temple.
and the the Jjaro APPEARED
LOL
Coraxus
Cyborg

You know, I kind of wonder what the Jjaro really looks like.
oteito
Vidmaster

maybe they look like a giant french poodle
LOL
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

I dont want to know what they look like.
Its cooler that we dont know.

I mean, they could be us. Which would be lame.
oteito
Vidmaster

don't think so, it would be kinda cool actually, a lost colony of humans (we) and the dudes who sent us (some other dudes), people who boasted the most advanced civilization in the universe, extermined by a plague.... well it just started to sound like stargate
LOL
oteito
Vidmaster

when did marathon and stargate came out?
LOL
Kryten
Cyborg

The movie was released the same year as Marathon 1.
The TV series started in 1997, 1 year after Marathon Inf.
Last edited by Kryten on Aug 8th '06, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
-- Straeshi
oteito
Vidmaster

mmm.... looks very similar... suspicious
LOL
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

I personnally avoid stargate for the same reason I avoid anime. (very addictive.) I would hazard a guess though that the plot similarities are just the mandatory sci-fi cliches inherent in any such movie.
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob
oteito
Vidmaster

nay i just started watching Stargate and it awesome..... nooooooo i'm addicted :(!!
LOL
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Yeah stargate was cool.
It was really cool when they finally beat the egyptian birdy guys.

Then the team went its seperate ways. Cool.

But then they got back together with a new team, and then the show got really, really gay.
They got all Europe on us, sending us to merlin and the knights of the round table. GAY.

Then theres that really GAY stargate Atlantis, that was really GAY. New characters but they act exactly the same as the original characters! ARRRRGH!
oteito
Vidmaster

so the ending of your post is???.... yup GAY (i think)
but apart from the gayness it's cool
LOL
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

Please refrain from using 'gay' as an insult. It only perpetuates homophobia.

(No, I am not gay, but I am an advocate.)
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob
benedictg

homophobia is pretty gay. now lets take a moment to discuss gender roles in first person shooters.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

haha, thanks benedictq i couldnt have said it better. id actually discuss gender roles in fps but it would get silly and i don't have that kind of energy right now
oteito
Vidmaster

SirBlastalot wrote: Please refrain from using 'gay' as an insult. It only perpetuates homophobia.

kay... i guess||used gay, had no other insult in mind||grabbing dudes asses is somewhat gay||any other insult ideas are apreciated
LOL
benedictg

i thought the first marathon was actually a pretty interesting example of gender roles in a game, if not a very sophisticated one. leela is a female character, but what makes her female other than a name that ends with the letter A and being refered to as she? she's differentiated from durandal only in that her role is supportive rather than antagonistic. her role remains one of servitude while her male counterparts seek dominance. other than these subtle and barely acknowledged motivations, leela talks and behaves like a male AI (or the males behave like females, to be fair). is there really a difference between male and female artificial intelligence? if not, why assign gender at all? if so, what's the difference and what role would it play in a society that makes use of AI?
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

well, almost all the computerized telphone things have female voices, apparently people prefer listening to women speak. Even in male dominated areas like media theres a definate effort to have female talking heads. Even the mass transit systems here have female voices. Now what that says sociologically aside, we definately are headed in the direction of female compter personalities. So its seems natural, if not sexist, that this trend would continue in the future. Less of an intentonal effort as sticking with what people find comfortable.

It's interesting that in the second two installments of marathon, there are no more female characters, and leela is barely mentioned. If it weren't for the ai in halo (there's a female child ai in halo right? that's a whole nother can o' worms) i'd say bungie decided it was vaguely sexist and decided to put it to rest.

what you think?
benedictg

you're refering to cortana, an AI whose personality is based off a real person. as a character, she's far more feminized than any other female character in the series. however, it's fairly superficial how they accomplish this, by giving her a female form, voice, and making her flirt with male characters. basically, she's a female written by males who aren't writers by trade, and it shows.

Oni is a much more interesting example of female characters in games. Though Konoko is a masculinized female in terms of suppressing stereotypical feminine behavior, a late game instance has her rescuing a robotic AI helper who is characterized as a young girl. They establish a maternal bond between the two of them, something that is rarely seen in games, and is something difficult for a male player to really appreciate. If you think about it though, it's a very effective motivation for a game character that gets deep into the character's psyche with very little narrative necessary.
oteito
Vidmaster

SirBlastalot wrote: Please refrain from using 'gay' as an insult. It only perpetuates homophobia.

i was making a summary out of that dude's comment... you people got me into believing me insulting gray
LOL