Player's Name

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Doomguy91
Born on Board

Fresnel wrote:I support the Chief Jones angle. I mean, Frane is panicked. So panicked that he calls out for any "USEC" ship, not any UESC ship. He even mis-spells Frane (Frain) once. He's from the Marathon. Everyone here is from the Marathon. He calls out for Blake, who's the current Human commander, he calls for any ship available for extraction (station hull integrity is failing and half the BOBs don't have vacuum suits), and he's calling for HELP. Given that in M1, the character is not only the only human with a gun and battle armor, but he was also the strongest and best shot of all the crew... he sounds like a shoe-in for Security Chief, especially after single-handedly saving the whole ship. When Frane sends out that call, he wants orders (Blake), he wants extraction (USEC ships), and he wants backup (you).

As to the "Sgt. Eddings" theory, PiD took place exactly 200 years before the Thermopylae-Onicis war. Battlereoids were new technology then, meaning Eddings would have had to have died at age 200 to be turned into a battleroid.
What if they invented cryo technology later in the 21st century and froze the dead body of Eddings. In which they unfroze him to make him a battleroid by adding Jjaro technology to him which revived. Maybe that made the body younger. He is then put back into cryo for future use. If they gave him fake implanted memories about a fake life im guessing they gave him a new name since about most people in the world never knew he was the reanimated Eddings. This new name would be the one the people on Marathon call him.

I have also heard that all the contact with the mysterious items in PiD made Eddings immortal (so he cant age but still be killed) but that is probley not true.
Last edited by Doomguy91 on Feb 18th '08, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
je110
Born on Board

Doomguy91 wrote:What if they invented cryo technology later in the 21st century and froze the dead body of Eddings. In which they unfroze him to make him a battleroid by adding Jjaro technology to him which revived. Maybe that made the body younger. He is then put back into cryo for future use. If they gave him fake implanted memories about a fake life im guessing they gave him a new name since about most people in the world never knew he was the reanimated Eddings. This new name would be the one the people on Marathon call him.
Well, it certainly falls into the realm of possibility, but "what-ifs" don't really add up to compelling evidence that it is the case, only that it isn't completely impossible.
Fresnel
Born on Board

Occam's Razor says it's a different guy. Maybe if it had been in Eddings' lifetime, then I'd consider it, but cryogenics... meh. I don't see why they'd cryogenically freeze him to save him for the future. Eddings was good, but there will always be a better soldier. It's so much simpler to just say that it's a different guy 200 years later. It explains the Mars memories and the space-boarding experience (Thermopylae War).
treellama
Vidmaster

This is what happens when you resurrect old threads. F.B.O./story guys can smell it a mile away, it's like catnip to them. End result is they show up bringing the worst parts of that forum with them.
irons
Vidmaster

It's like communion wine in a Cathedral.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Doomguy91
Born on Board

Fresnel wrote:Occam's Razor says it's a different guy. Maybe if it had been in Eddings' lifetime, then I'd consider it, but cryogenics... meh. I don't see why they'd cryogenically freeze him to save him for the future. Eddings was good, but there will always be a better soldier. It's so much simpler to just say that it's a different guy 200 years later. It explains the Mars memories and the space-boarding experience (Thermopylae War).
Eddings just was not some normal soldier. He was a well experienced soldier. But he would not have been able to survive the PiD events without the info from the dead and those magical potions like the healing potion.

Anyway i also heard that the 10th battleroid may be better then the other 9.

*From the Marathon's Story Site*

"It's funny, but you've always been the colony's trouble shooter. You're bigger and stronger, and a better shot. In games, you always scored the most points and looked the hero."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now i know the other 9 battleroids were on the Colony hiding among the population. But were the other 9 hiding there abilities in fighting and shooting? Or maybe the 10th cyborg was the best shot out of even the other 9. If he was Sgt. Eddings reanimated it would make since because he had been in the Special Forces and he had the experience of the PiD incident. We already know that the battleroids were made up of bodys of dead soldiers but Eddings is not just some normal soldier.

This is only possible if the Eddings theory is true. It is very likley that we will never be given the answer behind the Security Officer's past. Im sure these answers are somewhere in Bungie Studios locked up somewhere [MTongue]
Fresnel
Born on Board

Doomguy91 wrote:Eddings just was not some normal soldier. He was a well experienced soldier. But he would not have been able to survive the PiD events without the info from the dead and those magical potions like the healing potion.

Anyway i also heard that the 10th battleroid may be better then the other 9.

*From the Marathon's Story Site*

"It's funny, but you've always been the colony's trouble shooter. You're bigger and stronger, and a better shot. In games, you always scored the most points and looked the hero."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now i know the other 9 battleroids were on the Colony hiding among the population. But were the other 9 hiding there abilities in fighting and shooting? Or maybe the 10th cyborg was the best shot out of even the other 9. If he was Sgt. Eddings reanimated it would make since because he had been in the Special Forces and he had the experience of the PiD incident. We already know that the battleroids were made up of bodys of dead soldiers but Eddings is not just some normal soldier.

This is only possible if the Eddings theory is true. It is very likley that we will never be given the answer behind the Security Officer's past. Im sure these answers are somewhere in Bungie Studios locked up somewhere [MTongue]
Are you saying the only way the player could have been better than the other 9 cyborgs is if he had been Eddings? That's just plain wrong. Of 10 cyborgs, one has to be best. All of them being exactly equal is extremely doubtful. If you're going to be the one who survives to save the universe, it's logical that the survivor of any battle would be the strongest and the best shot. And were he not Sgt. Eddings, he would have had battle experience on Onicis, when his squad ravaged the town. When it all comes down to it, Eddings is just a normal soldier. A damn good soldier, but a normal one nonetheless.
You're right about Eddings. He was an intuitive soldier who had good intel and a sharp mind. Of course, there are hundreds of those soldiers in any generation. You give a smart man good intelligence and a good gun, and chances are he can get the job done, if he respawns enough times.
Doomguy91
Born on Board

Fresnel wrote:Are you saying the only way the player could have been better than the other 9 cyborgs is if he had been Eddings? That's just plain wrong. Of 10 cyborgs, one has to be best. All of them being exactly equal is extremely doubtful. If you're going to be the one who survives to save the universe, it's logical that the survivor of any battle would be the strongest and the best shot. And were he not Sgt. Eddings, he would have had battle experience on Onicis, when his squad ravaged the town. When it all comes down to it, Eddings is just a normal soldier. A damn good soldier, but a normal one nonetheless.
You're right about Eddings. He was an intuitive soldier who had good intel and a sharp mind. Of course, there are hundreds of those soldiers in any generation. You give a smart man good intelligence and a good gun, and chances are he can get the job done, if he respawns enough times.
But respawning is not Canon in PiD. Sure when you play PiD you will die and respawn to your save checkpoint but that isnt really Canon in PiD. Eddings got through the Pyramid without dieing. Well like i said before if it was not for those Potions or the dead's info he would have died and failed his mission.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Fresnel wrote:It explains the Mars memories and the space-boarding experience (Thermopylae War).
You know, there's a good point to be made here that I don't recall hearing anywhere else:

Icarus and Thermopylae were asteroids; presumably large ones if they could sustain human colonies in them. Phobos and Deimos, while being satellites of Mars, are also pretty much nothing more than large asteroids; they're not even big enough to be round. So boarding the Marathon (carved out of Deimos) and boarding a colony in another asteroid would be pretty much the same experience.

It's seems pretty clear, in light of this, that that is what the "this is familiar to you" line was getting at.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Fresnel
Born on Board

Pfhorrest wrote:You know, there's a good point to be made here that I don't recall hearing anywhere else:

Icarus and Thermopylae were asteroids; presumably large ones if they could sustain human colonies in them. Phobos and Deimos, while being satellites of Mars, are also pretty much nothing more than large asteroids; they're not even big enough to be round. So boarding the Marathon (carved out of Deimos) and boarding a colony in another asteroid would be pretty much the same experience.

It's seems pretty clear, in light of this, that that is what the "this is familiar to you" line was getting at.
I actually had my locations a bit messed up when I typed this, but the message still holds. I was thinking that it was Thermopylae vs. Onicis, not Thermopylae (on Onicis) vs. Icarus. But still, I think that the boarding of a planetoid filled with hostile forces is much closer to the boarding of an asteroid filled with hostile forces than it is to the investigation of a temple full of the unknown.
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:It's like communion wine in a Cathedral.
You've been really heavy on dogging catholic people lately, haven't you?
Do you have something against them? I'm asking mainly because it's becoming annoying. Almost as annoying as some stupid-ass "your mom"
joke
Last edited by logan on Feb 20th '08, 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

irons
Vidmaster

logan wrote:You've been really heavy on dogging catholic people lately, haven't you?
Do you have something against them? I'm asking mainly because it's becoming annoying. Almost as annoying as some stupid-ass "your mom"
pun.
"Your mom" jokes aren't puns.

And I guess my "Catholic" thing is like the Crusades: you had to be there.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
treellama
Vidmaster

"Hey Greg."

"What?"

"Your mom."

"Hey Jason."

"What?"

"No, YOUR mom."
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV

irons wrote:"Your mom" jokes aren't puns.

And I guess my "Catholic" thing is like the Crusades: you had to be there.
I called it a pun because it's so short and used at stupid times for stupid reasons.
Your right though, it's a joke. Just an incredibly short and stupid joke.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

logan wrote:Your right though, it's a joke. Just an incredibly short and stupid joke.
So's your mom ;-D
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
irons
Vidmaster

Actually, to clear the air, I'll explain the origin of this "Catholic" stuff. Some time ago, there was a thread that became a huge flame war. It was about the use of words like "gay" (e.g. "That stupid map is so gay...") and how such usage was a bannable offense. At one point, a theoretical example of the negative use of "Catholic" came up, and there you go. It's basically just proof-of-concept.
Fresnel
Born on Board

So's your mom ;-D
Yeah okay, I laughed at that.
Doomguy91 wrote: But respawning is not Canon in PiD. Sure when you play PiD you will die and respawn to your save checkpoint but that isnt really Canon in PiD. Eddings got through the Pyramid without dieing. Well like i said before if it was not for those Potions or the dead's info he would have died and failed his mission.
Right. It really came down to luck and ingenuity. The 'respawining' bit was kinda tongue-in-cheek. Eddings was not the best soldier to ever grace the planet Earth. All the things that coincide with Eddings and the Security Officer can be alternately explained rather easily, and the reasons for Eddings living 200 years are a bit of a stretch.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Fresnel wrote:All the things that coincide with Eddings and the Security Officer can be alternately explained rather easily, and the reasons for Eddings living 200 years are a bit of a stretch.
Eddings didnt live for 200 years. He probably died (I dont know how or when) then the government preserved is body untill they started the Battleroid program. Then they rewoke Eddings as a Cyborg and sometime before "Marathon 1" they gave him fake memories about a childhood and his dying father. [MGrin]
I don't know for sure this is true and I don't know some of the answers to this [MErr] (like why they gave him fake memories or how he died as Edding) but as Leela once said:
"There are obviously many things we do not understand and may never be able to"
[MOh]
Fresnel
Born on Board

But... why? Eddings wasn't a super-soldier, he was just really lucky.
Doomguy91
Born on Board

Fresnel wrote:But... why? Eddings wasn't a super-soldier, he was just really lucky.

Dont you understand that he did not need to be a super soldier. We know that he (if you believe in the Sgt. Eddings theory) became a Super Soldier after the battleroid project.

It was said that the Battleroids were created from the bodys of DEAD SOLDIERS. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO BE SUPER SOLDIERS (sorry for the caps).

Heres a theory i will paste here (i got some of my ideas from other theory's i heard).

Now we know supposily the Jjaro came to earth after the events of PiD (to beam the Dreaming God out/which can be the W'rknancter (yes i know i spelled it wrong)). We are told that Battleroids have Jjaro technology on them that was used to make the Battleroids which used to be dead soldiers. Now some people think that maybe Sgt. Eddings was immortal (because encountering the strange things in PiD) so that is how he lived up into the future to be made into a Battleroid when cyro technology was also available.

But there is another explanation.

Now we know the Marathon/PiD universe has some similarities to our Universe. Like Bill Clinton being President in PiD like he was in the real universe. Now for all we know Cryo technology in the Marathon universe could have been improved upon so later in the 21st century it was able to freeze humans and preserve him. So Sgt. Eddings (who can also not be immortal) died later in the 21st century (maybe to natural causes or killed). The scientists working on the battleroid project (which i think would first be shown in the 22st century on that Asteroid) preserve Sgt. Eddings dead body which they were going to use as a specimen to there super soldiers which will be the Battleroids. They could have picked him because of his background and since he was Special Forces. Anyways later in the future (in the 22st century) they unfreeze Sgt. Eddings body and turn him into a battleroid cyborg (i still consider the cyborgs human. Just like in the real world since there are people who have some mechanical parts but are still considered human). They use the Jjaro technology to revive Sgt. Eddings (so now he is alive) but they install false memories (like being born on Mars and his father dieing) into his brain for some reason. He is then put into Cryo for future use. Im guessing they did that because Cyborgs can still get old (at least there human side can, maybe Cyborgs age slower).
Last edited by Doomguy91 on Feb 21st '08, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Fresnel
Born on Board

You misunderstand me, I think. He doesn't have to be a super-soldier to be a battleroid, he has to be a supersoldier to warrant being cryogenically frozen for 150 years in order to make it into a project that hasn't even been thought up yet.
Doomguy91
Born on Board

Fresnel wrote:You misunderstand me, I think. He doesn't have to be a super-soldier to be a battleroid, he has to be a supersoldier to warrant being cryogenically frozen for 150 years in order to make it into a project that hasn't even been thought up yet.
I think saving the Earth from the Dreaming God/W'rknancter qualifies him for being a super soldier [MTongue]

If the Jjaro did give some of there technology to the humans when they vistited earth im guessing it took along time for them to learn how to use the Jjaro technology.

Here is a line from the Marathon Story Site:

"A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand"

So if the Security Officer is Eddings then Eddings must have died sometimes between PiD and Marathon 1 (probley sometimes later in the 21st century).

So im guessing they froze the dead body of Eddings when they thought up the project but it took along time for them to actually finished the project.

Heres what a person posted on the Marathon Story Site:

"Jonathan asks were we built using Jjaro technology by humans? If so, it would suggest that the Jjaro had made some early Earth contact"

I think the only Earth Contact they made was after the PiD incident.

Heres a section on what i found written on the PiD section on the wiki it which it is talking about how PiD is the start of the Bungie Mythos.

Pathways Into Darkness is considered by many to be the beginning of the "Bungie Mythos", a large timeline which connects this and later Bungie games.

The most salient of these connections is the nature of the "waking god" and the helpful aliens who inform the United States government of its nature. The "waking god" is believed to be a â?? or the â?? W'rkncacnter, a race or singular entity in the Marathon series which shares similar properties, primarily ancient origins, incredible power and the capacity to cause destruction on a global or cosmic scale simply by existing.

Also, the aliens who inform the US of the waking god are the Jjaro, an ancient alien race that is featured heavily in the Marathon and (as some fans believe) Halo series, although they are never mentioned in the latter.

There are also connections which are not directly spoken, but many believe. Although it is never directly stated, the Marathon character is rumored to be a cyborg, formed from the dead bodies of soldiers. This character feels as if he has done certain things before, or as if he has dreamed about them. These 'certain things' match up well with nearly identical events which the main character from Pathways experienced.

The most subtle of the connections between Pathways Into Darkness and Marathon lie in a single computer terminal in the latter game. While seemingly there to provide proof that a human AI is distorting human history data (to prevent invading aliens from knowing of Earth's location) the text is actually a highly corrupted version of the original Pathways Into Darkness story.
Last edited by Doomguy91 on Feb 21st '08, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Fresnel
Born on Board

This is where we differ. I don't think that qualifies him as a super-soldier at all. He was just extremely, extremely lucky.

As of now, this is the first link I've heard beyond how punching a switch to enter the Marathon felt oddly familiar, which could easily be "oddly familiar" from invading an asteroid-city. Any idea which level this terminal is in?
Doomguy91
Born on Board

Fresnel wrote:This is where we differ. I don't think that qualifies him as a super-soldier at all. He was just extremely, extremely lucky.

As of now, this is the first link I've heard beyond how punching a switch to enter the Marathon felt oddly familiar, which could easily be "oddly familiar" from invading an asteroid-city. Any idea which level this terminal is in?
But there were no super soldiers (or normal soldiers who qualifies at all) before the Battleroid time. So i think they just picked normal soldiers for the battleroid project but Eddings was picked because of his reputation of the PiD event.

Also sorry i dont know where that Terminal is [MFrown]
Fresnel
Born on Board

Right, by "super-soldier" I meant someone who's really, really, really good, not an enhanced/modified human. Eddings was just regular good and extremely lucky.