Pfhor pronunciation.

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Paragon
Born on Board
Posts: 20
Joined: Feb 25th '08, 20:17
Contact:

I've heard some people argue that the p in "Pfhor" is silent, and I've heard some argue that it is pronounced. I personally believe the P is phonetic, not silent. The main reason is because its an alien word. Lets put aside the assumption that all alien words sound weird, and consider that the name was translated by a computer, from a language that does not use english letters. When foreign words are introduced to the english language, they are spelled depending on the corresponding alphabet. For example, French words use the same alphabet as english, so it makes sense to add french words to the english vocabulary with their original spelling, to avoid confusion, especially for translators. You know the words I mean, like bourgeois, which is apparently pronounced "boo-shua". But when we introduce words to the english language that come from other languages that use a different alphabet, like Japanese, the words are spelled phonetically. Take the name Suzuki, for example. It is pronounced exactly as spelled. There is no silent p at the beginning (Psuzuki), because we have no reason to put it there, the Japanese alphabet is different from ours, and provides no indication that a silent p should be there (and never would).

Pfhor is translated from a foreign language that uses a foreign alphabet. There is no reason for the english spelling to be anything but phonetic, because the Pfhor language is different from ours. There is no original spelling to preserve for the sake of avoiding confusion as there would be with a french name. I believe the result is that the "p" in Pfhor is pronounced.

Bungie seemed to have a thing for hard to pronounce names in Marathon, so pronouncing the "p" would follow that trend.
Last edited by Paragon on Mar 1st '08, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
RyokoTK
Vidmaster
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mar 7th '06, 07:04
Location: Saint Paul, MN

It's pronounced "four." If it weren't, all of the puns in the level titles in Marathon 1 wouldn't have made sense.

The topic was also made already. But really, it's not that hard to figure out. Unpfhorgiven? Eupfhoria? Pfhor Your Eyes Only? Think about it.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 26th '08, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.
Paragon
Born on Board
Posts: 20
Joined: Feb 25th '08, 20:17
Contact:

Yeah...I had trouble figuring out the search function.

Yes, the puns do require a similarity, but I don't think they make any less sense when pronounced with the "p". I always assumed the "p" was phonetic, and still laughed at the puns.
User avatar
RyokoTK
Vidmaster
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mar 7th '06, 07:04
Location: Saint Paul, MN

Two plus two equals puh-four? No, that doesn't make sense.
Paragon
Born on Board
Posts: 20
Joined: Feb 25th '08, 20:17
Contact:

What's this "puh" crap?
User avatar
irons
Vidmaster
Posts: 2651
Joined: Mar 1st '06, 20:44
Location: (.Y.)
Contact:

German has a "pf" sound that is probably a combination of what you guys are imagining; for example, the word Pflanze ("plant"). The "p" essentially serves as a stop just before the "f" and therefore doesn't really make its own noise. Try saying "Pfhor" by forming the "p" with your lips and then skipping right to the "f."
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
User avatar
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster
Posts: 1825
Joined: Oct 12th '07, 22:08
Location: California
Contact:

W wrote:ipfapfunami
Ah, infamy. It's like fame... only, in me.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
User avatar
MasterYo1
Cyborg
Posts: 134
Joined: Feb 20th '08, 00:30
Contact:

Jjaro- Like "jggarro"
Mjolnir- "Meh-sjoel-ner"
Sphit- "Sfit"
Pfhor- Four, but beginning with my lips shaped as I would say the beginning of "pie."
W'rkncacnter- Don't ask
I am not allowed to log in unless I am logged in. WTF.
You are wrong. Not 2.5. Five.

Also I am not dead.
User avatar
megabyte
Vidmaster
Posts: 1006
Joined: Feb 15th '07, 02:43
Location: Asympotatoes, Mars
Contact:

Jjaro-jarow
Mjolnir- Mee-yol-neer
Spht- sfit
Pfhor- Four
W'rkncacnter- Werkancter
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]
User avatar
irons
Vidmaster
Posts: 2651
Joined: Mar 1st '06, 20:44
Location: (.Y.)
Contact:

{Jjaro, Mjolnir, S'pht, Pfhor, W'rkncacnter} - law-kh
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
User avatar
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 643
Joined: Sep 29th '07, 20:32
Contact:

Deja Vu
Don't make topics that already exist. Someone posted in it not too long ago. So, surely you would have saw it in "view new posts".
This is why we have a topic searchbar at the bottom of the page and a google search bar at the top.
This is also one of the reasons nameless was banned. I'd hate to see another member go, please refrain from doing so.
Spoiler:
Or that tyrant Ryoko will be send you to the depths of the banned members group.
Last edited by logan on Feb 27th '08, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.


Marathoner325
Cyborg
Posts: 295
Joined: Feb 2nd '08, 22:03
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Contact:

I used to pronounce it "Puh-for". A friend of mine says it's pronounced "For". I try to pronounce it "Pfor". Or is it "For"?
S'pht: Sfit
Jjarro: Jaro or Jiero
User avatar
irons
Vidmaster
Posts: 2651
Joined: Mar 1st '06, 20:44
Location: (.Y.)
Contact:

logan wrote:Deja Vu
Don't make topics that already exist.
Don't make posts that already exist.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
User avatar
Elderman
Born on Board
Posts: 13
Joined: Jul 25th '07, 12:17
Contact:

For what it's worth, probably not much, I think Pfhorrest gave the best pronounciation guide for Phfor. To wit:

It an affricative sound made by combining a unvoiced, unaspirated, bilabial plosive ('p') with an an unvoiced, aspirated, labiodental fricative ('fh'). And though any normal english speaker's first reaction to 'pfh' is to see two 'f' 'f' sounds back to back, in fact the 'h' doesn't have anything do do with the 'p', instead the 'h' that indicates the 'f' sound is heavily aspirated.

Pfhorrest's exercise is a good one. Another good, normal-english-language way to get a handle on it is to say the phrase 'top form'. The sound made by combining the end of the first word with the beginning of the second is the sound in 'pfhor'.

But, you know, you can say any way you want to, really.

Personally I think puns are funnier if you have to stretch your mind around them a bit. Like the credits at the end of NPR's Car Talk. My personal favorite of their current staff are: Ike and Zeke Learly, their windshield wiper replacement team.

Now if you want a word that's hard to analyze phonetically, and even harder to explain in plain English, you've got W'rknacnter. The way I do that in my own mind is seriously ominous.
Last edited by Elderman on Feb 28th '08, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 520
Joined: Dec 6th '07, 16:10
Contact:

Wasn't there already a topic about this some time ago? Not that I would condone digging through the archives and reviving old threads...

My 10 cents: Considering the Pfhor are a different species, they probably have a vocal plethora quite different from ours, so 'Pfhor' is probably a grunt or noise that sounds different in their tongue, but since we cannot pronounce it properly, we have coined the pronounciation as "Four." Kind of like how we give animals sounds Anomatopoeas like Moo and Meow, sort of.
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Feb 28th '08, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Drictelt
Vidmaster
Posts: 1434
Joined: Nov 27th '06, 19:21
Contact:

Elderman wrote:Now if you want a word that's hard to analyze phonetically, and even harder to explain in plain English, you've got W'rknacnter.
Now why dont you just pronounce it like you write it? Thats how i do it (be it with the weird english r).

btw i think its W'rknCacnter.
Last edited by Drictelt on Feb 28th '08, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal - Victory Dance IV - KTA III - Phoenix
More on Simplici7y: Xmas I-II-III - Winter I - Narcotics - Thrudnesday
moonible
Cyborg
Posts: 113
Joined: Sep 1st '07, 00:26
Location: England
Contact:

I was convinced until now that mjolnir was pronounced "ma hol nyeer"
But I can't find any evidence for that, everywhere just says myol nir
irons wrote:German has a "pf" sound that is probably a combination of what you guys are imagining; for example, the word Pflanze ("plant"). The "p" essentially serves as a stop just before the "f" and therefore doesn't really make its own noise. Try saying "Pfhor" by forming the "p" with your lips and then skipping right to the "f."
completely. I still don't get why pfhor provides such a problem for people. Given that pf words do exist, and are pronounced exactly how they look. audible, with no space.
Last edited by moonible on Feb 29th '08, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
RyokoTK
Vidmaster
Posts: 4161
Joined: Mar 7th '06, 07:04
Location: Saint Paul, MN

Now why dont you just pronounce it like you write it?
Because it's hard to pronounce "W'rkn" without any vowels.
User avatar
treellama
Vidmaster
Posts: 6107
Joined: Jun 2nd '06, 02:05
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Both r and n are sonorant consonants, so it's quite easy to make them syllabic nuclei. W, too, for that matter, if the apostrophe is to be taken as a stop.

I'm lazy and pronounce it with only five syllables: "Wr-kn-ca-cn-ter"
User avatar
Elderman
Born on Board
Posts: 13
Joined: Jul 25th '07, 12:17
Contact:

Treellama wrote:Both r and n are sonorant consonants, so it's quite easy to make them syllabic nuclei. W, too, for that matter, if the apostrophe is to be taken as a stop.

I'm lazy and pronounce it with only five syllables: "Wr-kn-ca-cn-ter"

Do you say the 'k' and the 'c' differently? My thing with W'rkncacnter is that you have to make a bunch of arbitrary decisions, no matter what.

I start with a sort of rumbling noise.
User avatar
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster
Posts: 1825
Joined: Oct 12th '07, 22:08
Location: California
Contact:

Elderman wrote:Do you say the 'k' and the 'c' differently? My thing with W'rkncacnter is that you have to make a bunch of arbitrary decisions, no matter what.

I start with a sort of rumbling noise.
Apple's text-to-speech synthesizer says "wrr knn kaa knn trr", where "aa" is like the "a" in "bat".
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Paragon
Born on Board
Posts: 20
Joined: Feb 25th '08, 20:17
Contact:

logan wrote:Deja Vu
Don't make topics that already exist. Someone posted in it not too long ago. So, surely you would have saw it in "view new posts".
This is why we have a topic searchbar at the bottom of the page and a google search bar at the top.
This is also one of the reasons nameless was banned. I'd hate to see another member go, please refrain from doing so.
Spoiler:
Or that tyrant Ryoko will be send you to the depths of the banned members group.
I tried your search function, but all I got were those wiki-style entries, no threads. It probably has something to do with the forum layout making the built-in search less obvious than the Marathon search, and not having any label to discern the two.

Also, thats a stupid reason to ban someone, especially since its not against the official rules.

ANYWAY, Mjolnir is pretty well established, considering it was Thor's hammer (or something like that), so there certainly is a proper pronunciation. I believe its "myol-neer".

As for W'rkncacnter, I guess I'd say "werkin cackin tair". Though honestly, I'm just going to avoid ever saying that one from now on.

I still think it doesn't make sense to put a silent P at the beginning of an alien word when there's no reason. I contend that the most logical way to pronounce Pfhor is...well, exactly as its spelled, I can't really spell it phonteically any better. No "puh", and no silent p.
Last edited by Paragon on Mar 1st '08, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
logan
Mjolnir Mark IV
Posts: 643
Joined: Sep 29th '07, 20:32
Contact:

Whenever I glance at W'rkncacnter. I want to read it W'rkcaster then kick myself for doing it.
I can spell it off the top of my head but for some reason...I don't know.
Last edited by logan on Mar 1st '08, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
irons
Vidmaster
Posts: 2651
Joined: Mar 1st '06, 20:44
Location: (.Y.)
Contact:

Paragon wrote:I tried your search function, but all I got were those wiki-style entries, no threads.
I'm kind of amazed that we even have this search function in place of the forum searcher. See, the search field near the toppish-left of every page (under "Welcome!") is for a bunch of Marathon sites through Google. If you want the real search (which, in my opinion, should be where the Google search is...), look at the upper-right corner and click on "Search." It's among links called "Blogs," "Gallery," "Calendar," "Members," and "Help."
Also, thats a stupid reason to ban someone, especially since its not against the official rules.
Nameless made an art out of asking questions he didn't need to, things like "WHERES FORG MANAL!!" when he had been around for about a year. Unlike you, he actually knew where the real search was (he was here before the dumb Google search was added). In short, Nameless was an idiot. He's the only guy I've seen banned for asking stupid questions.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
Post Reply