Persistent and virulent bug

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Straight to the point: If you check a projectile to be persistent and virulent, and kill a monster close up with it, the engine will act as if you were hit by your own projectile. This is, of course, completely impossible.

It seems to happen mainly with invisible projectiles, but I don't know for sure because I've only tested it with bullets.

Demonstration physics: [attachment=1839:Effect_D...stration.zip]
Attachments
Effect_Demonstration.zip
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Embrace imagination.
treellama
Vidmaster

Persistent and virulent is broken in many ways. Don't use it.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Persistent and virulent is broken in many ways. Don't use it.
But when it works, it works AWESOME.

So, since you're the guy working with the code, how exactly is it broken?
Embrace imagination.
treellama
Vidmaster

chinkeeyong wrote:So, since you're the guy working with the code, how exactly is it broken?
chinkeeyong wrote:If you check a projectile to be persistent and virulent, and kill a monster close up with it, the engine will act as if you were hit by your own projectile.
Why do you keep posting :(
Last edited by treellama on Aug 1st '08, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:Why do you keep posting :(
You said "in many ways". I take that to be just one way.
Embrace imagination.
assassingao
Vidmaster

God, the bug's been there for ages. It used to cause A1 to give out error and quits itself.

Treellama fixed it so it won't force A1 to quit, not for people to abuse it and make a kewl railgun to pwn aliens with.

It seems to happen mainly with invisible projectiles, but I don't know for sure because I've only tested it with bullets.
As far as I know, appearance doesn't have anything to do with this bug.
Last edited by assassingao on Aug 1st '08, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
irons
Vidmaster

assassingao wrote:God, the bug's been there for ages. It used to cause A1 to give out error and quits itself.

Treellama fixed it so it won't force A1 to quit, not for people to abuse it and make a kewl railgun to pwn aliens with.
There's some of that G.A.O. prose we've been waiting for.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
treellama
Vidmaster

assassingao wrote:Treellama fixed it so it won't force A1 to quit
No, it still causes the engine to crash. The only fix is not to use it. Like I already said.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 1st '08, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama wrote:No, it still causes the engine to crash. The only fix is not to use it. Like I already said.
Uh, it doesn't crash? I said it just hurts you as well if you kill an enemy at a range of something like less than 1024 units.
Embrace imagination.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree when you tell the game's only active developer that he's wrong about facets of his program.
Winter_Wolf
Cyborg

I find this all very strange, because I've been using "persistent and virulent" for a weapon for several months now and I've never had a problem. I even decided to check that it was tagged before I posted. A1 has never crashed, for me at least, using this tag.

With regards to the bug, well, that's there to stay chinkeeyong. Although, for the purpose I use it for, it makes sense that the player is going to be injured if he fires a frag grenade into monster at point blank range. The only reason I'm using it is to recreate an effect from PiD.

If "persistent and virulent" does actually cause problems in A1 on other computers I'd like to know so that I can disable it.
If you would like to help the MaraPiD project, send me a personal message.

Download the Marathon: Pathways into Darkness Beta:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48405034/MPiD_Version_0.5.zip
treellama
Vidmaster

It can cause the engine to crash, depends on number of monsters and timing. If you can get the effect some other way (Lua would probably work pretty well) I'd advise doing that.

There's a "fix" here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?f...amp;atid=301997 that could stop the crashing, but it would break films and introduce other undesirable behavior.
Last edited by treellama on Aug 2nd '08, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
chinkeeyong
Mjolnir Mark IV

RyokoTK wrote:I think you might be barking up the wrong tree when you tell the game's only active developer that he's wrong about facets of his program.
Good point. [MTongue]

Treellama wrote:It can cause the engine to crash, depends on number of monsters and timing. If you can get the effect some other way (Lua would probably work pretty well) I'd advise doing that.
OK, I get it now.
Embrace imagination.