Rubicon Trouble

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Catharsis
Born on Board

I downloaded the Rubicon X files (I forgot where from -- the main Rubicon site seems to be down) and placed an Aleph One .exe in the same directory, just as I did for the trilogy and for RED, all of which worked.

For Rubicon, however, I was only able to play the intro (which rocked, as I might add), and the game froze on a black screen during the transition to the next chapter. When I played it again, I actually reached the second chapter, which however was full of flickering graphics errors (but which might have been intentional, Durandal mentioned something about me feeling all out of whack due to a bad cryochamber). Predictably, when I completed this level (by just reading the terminal), I froze during the transition to the third level.

What's wrong with my setup?

I have a Win XP machine, and downloaded the Aleph One application about a month ago, and the Rubicon X files yesterday.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Catharsis wrote:I downloaded the Rubicon X files (I forgot where from -- the main Rubicon site seems to be down) and placed an Aleph One .exe in the same directory, just as I did for the trilogy and for RED, all of which worked.

For Rubicon, however, I was only able to play the intro (which rocked, as I might add), and the game froze on a black screen during the transition to the next chapter. When I played it again, I actually reached the second chapter, which however was full of flickering graphics errors (but which might have been intentional, Durandal mentioned something about me feeling all out of whack due to a bad cryochamber). Predictably, when I completed this level (by just reading the terminal), I froze during the transition to the third level.

What's wrong with my setup?

I have a Win XP machine, and downloaded the Aleph One application about a month ago, and the Rubicon X files yesterday.
Do you have A1 setup for OpenGL, and not software mode? Check under the Graphics tab in Preferences.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Catharsis
Born on Board

Lh wrote:Do you have A1 setup for OpenGL, and not software mode? Check under the Graphics tab in Preferences.
Yes, I'm afraid so. The problem persists: First level works, second is flickery, third doesn't load (black screen after the chapter splash).
Switch
Vidmaster

Only the www. is down, try this:

Marathon Rubicon
Catharsis
Born on Board

Having downloaded the Rubicon X files again from the website didn't help.

I found out that the first level I load always works fine, the next one flickers, and the next one freezes up. So far, I've been able to play by restarting Aleph One each time I saved game in a new level. However, after the level with the immersed shuttle bays (nice scenario!), I am beamed to an intermezzo level in open space, where I obviously don't have access to a pattern buffer, foiling my progress...

Hmm, on second thought, I could just use the cheat code to save game in open space. [MSmile]

I'd still prefer just fixing the problem, obviously.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Have you looked at your logs? Go to your Rubicon root directory and open the Aleph One Log.txt and stderr.txt immediately after you have a problem. Probably best to look after you have the freeze up, this case. If there is a bug to report, the information in those text files will help.

Thisis the official place to report bugs for Aleph One.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.