Marathon//Max (Max Payne 2 MOD)

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
interion
Cyborg

The Marathon//Max MP2 mod was finally released a couple days ago. I didn't see any current threads about it and the old one from last year is closed. Has anyone had a chance to try this out? I remember the videos looked really good but the lack of multiplayer support seemed like a killer. However, if it's anything like the Dead Man Walking mode in MP2 it might be fun.
Image Image
Lawstiker
Cyborg

I just came across that website yesterday. It look pretty cool, but I don't have Max Payne 2 so I can't play it . Hopefully someone else around here has it so they can tell us if this mod is worth the download.
Last edited by Lawstiker on Jul 9th '09, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
interion
Cyborg

I had a chance to try it out this afternoon. The download is a 300MB 32-bit Windows installer. It looks for an existing Max Payne 2 installation but installs all of the required files in its own directory. The game includes 5 generally faithful recreations of existing deathmatch maps, including Duality. Unlike Dead Man Walking, where you had to survive as long as possible by killing respawning enemies and collecting their ammo, in this game you're fighting other marines in an arena for 5 minutes with unlimited lives and regular ammo dumps.

The games most interesting feature is the 3rd person perspective and the weapons, which shoot faster and look cooler. The Max Payne bullet time feature appears to be intact, but I didn't have much time to play around with it. Something felt very wrong with the player movement speed, and the player model is offset to the right for some reason so the camera is above the marines left shoulder, making it difficult to control the camera.

Overall it was an interesting project, but the limited number of maps and poor controls mean it gets boring fast. If you already have a copy of Max Payne 2 I think it is worth checking out, but I definitely wouldn't buy it just for this mod.
Image Image
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

I concur with tim. There are some sticky issues:

1. You don't get to change the gametype at all. It's just Deathmatch, 3 teams of 3, each game is 5 minutes. The team with the fewest deaths wins, which is sort of a bummer since your AI team is garbage.

2. The camera angle is so bizarre. You get used to it, but it just feels wonky and slightly askew. Same with the controls; they work after a while, but there's just something a little wrong with them.

3. As far as I can tell, no bullet time, which makes it sort of curious why it was implemented in the Max Payne engine to begin with. It also doesn't make any real use of the Havok engine -- no scenery to blow up, nothing to push around, no walls to break, etc.

4. Only 5 maps, which is okay, but they're 5 sort of bland maps and it's a bummer that none of the bigger ones got implemented. Each game is just a huge slugfest with no room to breathe, except for House of Pain which is still as crappy as ever.

Overall, I'd agree with tim's summary: if you have MP2, check it out, otherwise don't even give it a second thought. On the other hand, MP2 is an excellent game on its own and is worth the pretty low price to buy it if you haven't played it before.
Sphting Distance
Born on Board

Wait, there's no story/campaign mode? I thought this was going to be a 3D Marathon 2 Mod, as in the full game. That kinda sucks.

I know I have been living under a rock, but has anyone played Marathon:Resurrection? The mod for Unreal Tournament?
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

S wrote:Wait, there's no story/campaign mode? I thought this was going to be a 3D Marathon 2 Mod, as in the full game. That kinda sucks.

I know I have been living under a rock, but has anyone played Marathon:Resurrection? The mod for Unreal Tournament?
I have. It's cool.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

I have. If you can overlook some major bugs, it re-captures the atmosphere of the original game quite well. Definitely worth it if you have UT.

Sorry to derail a thread, but as I don't have Max Payne I can't try this mod.