Marathon Rubicon

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Lugas
Vidmaster

Marathon Rubicon was released in 2001 and was started in 1997. Microsoft took over Bungie at some point between these dates. Was Marathon Rubicon supposed to be made by Bungie. Was Rubicon made with the Aleph One code? And finally, does anyone here consider it to be a sequel or even "Marathon IV"?
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

No, no, and yes. Rubicon was created 3rd-party. You're going overboard with the conspiracy theories.
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

i consider it marathon 4. actually i'm gonna make a chart... I'll post it here when i'm done.

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
assassingao
Vidmaster

I don't consider it as marathon 4, sorry.

But I don't consider anything else as marathon 4, though, I just think that's it's a TC...
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

Marathon 1 and 2 are the only cannon games. Infinity takes place in an alternate universe, as does Rubicon. For that matter, you can bassically assume that every scenario is probably in another timeline from Infinity.
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

-DcBob
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

i thought rubicon was what happened when the s'pht and humans attacked the pfhor, like it said at the end of M2

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

You can interpert it how you like. It's just easier to say that they happen in an alternate universe.

-DcBob
pakkman781
Cyborg

I consider Rubicon to be the closest thing to the 4th installment in the series, but since it's a third party development, I won't say that it is the definate one. It's a damn good scenario tho! :D
shongshong
Vidmaster

pakkman781 wrote: I consider Rubicon to be the closest thing to the 4th installment in the series, but since it's a third party development, I won't say that it is the definate one. It's a damn good scenario tho! :D
that basicaly summerizes what I would of said [MTongue]
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

I like to think of it as the unoffical 4th marathon game
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

That's quite accurate.

-DcBob
Atomic Potato
Cyborg

I consider it one of the better third-party scenarios out there, but I think that it is slightly overrated.
Atomic Potato. Veteran Since '95.

"If you aren't running Mac OS 10.4.10, then you aren't running the exact same operating system that I am running." -- Me
SirBlastalot
Vidmaster

As far as I know, its the ONLY truly non-linear scenario out there. Except for that one weird M1 one...

-DcBob
Lugas
Vidmaster

xyfbzi wrote: i thought rubicon was what happened when the s'pht and humans attacked the pfhor, like it said at the end of M2
I think it is. It is possible that Marathon Infinty was a dream. I looked on Wikipedia for MInfinity and it said that the 3 chapters (Despair, Rage, Envy) plus the first letter of the words on Aye Mak Sicur makes "DREAMS". Plus in M2, there were references to the Rozinate and in Rubicon, the player lives in the Rozinate.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Actually, despite my website, Marathon Doog's story has changed dramatically.
shongshong
Vidmaster

MoppyPuppy wrote: Actually, despite my website, Marathon Doog's story has changed dramatically.
I dont think tux was talking about plot quality, he was talking about 3rd party scenarios
Marathon Squadron
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Right,

But on a seperate note, I really wish Rubicon would have stuck to the whole UESC Vs. Pfhor story.
It'd be generic, but I dont like Dangi and the whole virus plot twist.

I also dont like scenarios that have you fighting alone all the time.
FF Shinobi

Why don't you just not save the poor guy then? Dangi is never hinted at, nad you et to win the war.
shongshong
Vidmaster

well, its good to show what the politics of both sides, it imerses plot to realism.
and shown in previouse samples of human history, not all humans are 'good guys'
Marathon Squadron
Coraxus
Cyborg

Yeah, I played both the alternate strings of Rubicon, my only beef is that I'm unable to get it to run with Mac OSX Aleph One. When I downloaded the game, it had an app that would convert the game itself so as to take advantage of the game engine offered by Aleph One. Unfortunately it didn't really work, I assume it was meant for the Classic 9 version. So does anyone know where I can go to get it run on OSX Aleph One?
Homocidal Ham
Cyborg

I know people might hate me for saying this but i think rubicons plotis over rated

dont get me wrong, I think it is still the best TC out there
while I liked the concept (not only liked but loved) the more militarized feeling, but the plot didn't really satisfy me, the whole plot twist wasn't that original (you can pretty much see it coming), it also seemed to to have too much of an Alien resurrection feel
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Yeah, it was too dark human espionageISH.

And the Pfhor levels always had you all alone and all the levels were very very lonely.
And then if you kill the pfhor throughout the whole game you are rewarded with terminals that say you fucked up and you failed in everything you sought out to do.

DUMB.
shongshong
Vidmaster

is that realy all that "DUMB?"

I think its good they changed the terminal formula a tad, besides, I felt bad when the AI keept looking down on me, it made me feel insignificant, and full of anxiety of the future, lol
Marathon Squadron
Homocidal Ham
Cyborg

moppy puppy, I wasn't saying that the game was bad, I just said the plot wasn't as good as it is cracked up to be, but its still good
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."
oteito
Vidmaster

yeah, for me it's a sequel..
LOL