Scariest Monsters- Ooooo...!

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I know- we've had favorite and hardest monsters but we haven't had scariest monsters! Yes, I remember the first time I played G4 Sunbathing- I came out of it with a shiver, a blank expression and a twitching triggerfinger. But since then, I've been subject to even more scary frights- the growl of the F'lickta, Raptors (Marathon Red) and the Apotheosis Natives, the death cry of the W'rkcacnter nightmares, and the harrowing chatter of the Pfhor-VacBob hybrids, as they jump on you in outer space- you can never quite get your aim on to them, you are so distracted by the fright.

Brrr!!! [MAngry]

(Remember, you can choose more than one)
Last edited by Dugit on Sep 1st '09, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
CryoS
Vidmaster

Devlins are by far the scariest monster yet in 'thon
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I wish there was a hi-res textures, Aleph One version of Evil.

I agree about Devlins.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Evil uses mostly infinity textures in a lot of places, at least that was the way I remember it.

Devlins are definately the scariest, primarily because its kind of hard to make things scary with just bitmaps but the creators pulled it off quite nicely. I think that RED's monsters deserve 2nd and 3rd place, simply for looking so sweet yet menacing at the same time in the extremely dark enviornment they were in. I remember walking through the "bio-crap" on the 2nd level and being like "Oh jesus this is pretty spooky, sort of like that halloween movie where Snoop Dogg was the vengeful undead spirit and summoned everyone to this weirdass red place full of bloody guts and stuff".
Dugit
Vidmaster

I agree about the Devlins and Red Creatures. However, there are many things I find scary, even though I have played and finished every medium and large scenario; for example, even though I am not really afraid of the G4-Sunbathing level now, for some reason, I am still mortally afraid of F'lickta- when I hear the growl I just shoot wildly at every space until I see it. I think I might bequeath this phobia to a time when I was very young, and I was playing on Charon Doesn't Make Change. I couldn't figure out why the level was filling with water, so I took my time, thinking it would stop at waist height. I was wrong, and was soon surrounded by F'lickta. I backed into a small nook, and couldn't get out...
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I am fairly genuinely zoophobic, but they've never scared me! Maybe if they looked more bloodthirsty... and covered with blood... WITH BLOOD COMING OUT OF THEIR EYES!!! then I might have been scared. Then again, I first saw them in the Marathon Infinity demo, on the extremely bright and non-scary poor yorick. The tank guys in Acme Station really scared the bejeepers out of me though.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Who remembers the "voices in the pillar"- now that's the most scary incident I've seen.

N.B: You probably don't- I think it was only in the Marathon v0.0 demo- have a look on the Marathon Story Page...

CupcakeTreat
Born on Board

I was just wandering though a Marathon scenario, taking in the weird feel of the empty ship, wandering around trying to figure out where to go, when I see friendly signatures on my radar. I think to myself "Yes! Some buddies!" until they all shoot their plasma pistols. The scenario was Return to Marathon, the enemy was the Altered Vac-Bob.
As you are reading this, the question is: Are you having fun?
Da Spadger
Born on Board

Dugit wrote:Who remembers the "voices in the pillar"- now that's the most scary incident I've seen.

N.B: You probably don't- I think it was only in the Marathon v0.0 demo- have a look on the Marathon Story Page...
Here it is. :)
A little known fact about the Pfhor onslaught on the UESC Marathon was the unexplained and unreported disappearance of close to seven per cent of the alien strike force while on board. The ship simply swallowed them up. Some call it Leela's revenge... others the curse of the interstellar colony ship Marathon. They say that seeing is believing... so download these seven films and witness the frightening tru7h.
I bet I'm missing out on something really cool here. :/
treellama
Vidmaster

ukimalefu wrote:I wish there was a hi-res textures, Aleph One version of Evil.
http://fileball.bungie.org/index.php?optio...nfo&id=2923
Dugit
Vidmaster

As of the 5th of September, it seems that in 1st Place is: The MEvil Devlin

...followed by the RtM Pfhor-VacBob in 2nd Place.

Finally, in 3rd place is the M1 Complier and the MRed Raptor.

I certainly agree...brrr... [MGrin]

envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

idk, the eternal ghost thing was pretty damn terrifying.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

EEK!
CANDYSPIDER
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Treellama wrote:
That would be an awesome cake to eat.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
irons
Vidmaster

underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
ellio7t
Cyborg

Shadowbreaker wrote:"Oh jesus this is pretty spooky, sort of like that halloween movie where Snoop Dogg was the vengeful undead spirit and summoned everyone to this weirdass red place full of bloody guts and stuff".
Bones?
words
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

I don't think the Devlins were scary at all. Evil bored me (never did get very far). But the raptors from Red (have yet to finish that one as well - I got destracted by Durandal, which I have almost beaten now)? Jeez, those things are insane. Same with Jugs, but the TI ones were scarier (I did beat that one - my personal favorite, actually). Also, what is RtM? Real time Marathon?

Oh, and anything from TGI is scary. Damn, I haven't finished that either.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

gmanyo wrote:Also, what is RtM? Real time Marathon?
It's another fan-made scenario titled "Return to Marathon," in which you must go back aboard the Marathon as reconnaissance, to investigate rumored activity still aboard it. The scenario itself is unfinished, but I thought it was very well done; it has an uneasy, suspenseful tone and atmosphere. I would recommend checking it out.
MoppyPuppy
Vidmaster

Marathon Eternal's W'rkcacnter monsters were not the scariest looking, but they scared me more than any other monster in any scenario.

Here is why.

You play Marathon Eternal, before Eternal X.
You remember the Wrk as just really fast gray pfhor.

Then you play X. You enter a Wrk' infested apocalyptic FAILURE dream level.
You see what looks like shadow spht running around.

Then one draws close, you fire, and NOTHING happens.
Then it attacks and reveals its attack form, and then you're all "HOLY SHI---!"

Then you reach the first Jjaro Chapter level. You see more shadowy figures, your not scared anymore unless one gets the jump on you.
Then you get to that big lift, you fight off the remaining ghostly monsters.

THEN, you get a really big surprise.

The monsters aren't scary looking, but they all made one HELL of an entrance.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

MoppyPuppy wrote:Marathon Eternal's W'rkcacnter monsters were not the scariest looking, but they scared me more than any other monster in any scenario.
Oh, yeah, I forgetted about those guys. But once you get used to the rave sticks, everything in Eternal becomes amazingly fun and not scary.

I actually almost ran out of ammo for those things once, and in a really hard part of the game as well.
goran
Vidmaster

I need to play eternal X
treellama
Vidmaster

[attachment=3043:capt.a5b...__wro101.jpg]
Attachments
capt.a5bfdd4577da462981a44738b27c21a4.germany_weather__wro101.jpg
capt.a5bfdd4577da462981a44738b27c21a4.germany_weather__wro101.jpg (107.53 KiB) Viewed 7475 times
Last edited by treellama on Sep 16th '09, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Treellama, I can't see that image, even when I look up the source.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

It's a squash snake
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.