Putting the Marathon Vidmaster's Challenge films on YouTube

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.

On my Windows machine, should I:

Focus on encoding as much M2 and M∞ content as possible
44%
Focus on encoding Rubicon films
22%
Focus on other scenarios (please specify which)
11%
Other (please explain)
22%

Total votes: 9
The Man
Vidmaster

Out of curiosity, what do people think of the appearance of this film?

https://youtu.be/X0zAmwQXaSQ

(Excuse my sloppy playing; I was just testing windowed mode on my MacBook and wasn't really going for perfection.)

I'll upload an alternate version I encoded on my desktop tonight after work. It'll be full HD, though I don't think I'll use the exact settings from that one in my final uploads (it uses the XBLA HUD, which people don't seem to like, and I think I forgot to turn off crosshairs).

I think I may be patient enough to use my desktop to make these encodes after all, though. It wasn't quite as slow as I thought it'd be, and I think having full 1080p is worth it. It'd be even better if I could encode 1600x2560 from my MacBook, though. I'm half-considering going through my initial process of encoding through QuickTime, even though it's colossally inconvenient. I believe I've figured out a way to get sound that way, though.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
The Man
Vidmaster

Here's a 1080p encode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkMjKtOdyRA

While there's more detail, the encode quality seems very obviously lower to me. It's possible this will improve after the video has been up awhile longer; I don't fully understand how YouTube processes its videos. It's also possible the quality won't be as conspicuously awful once I revert to the 4x3 aspect ratio. Opinions?

(I forgot to turn off crosshairs and I probably won't use the XBLA HUD for my final videos, but other than that, I'm considering using basically these settings when I start encoding everyone else's videos.)
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
The Man
Vidmaster

Since no one provided any further feedback, I’m undertaking this project in earnest now. Here are Dr Sumner’s first seven Infinity levels (soon to be eight when “Post Naval Trauma” finishes uploading). I’ll update this playlist further as new levels finish encoding (thus far I’ve been doing them in order).

General-RADIX
Cyborg

Currently watching the Ne Cede Malis vid; encoding looks pretty good to me!
welcome to the scene of the crash
HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Watched a couple o them tonight and liked 'em.

Poor Yorick locks up temporarily at 8:04 and 13:50 et passim. I've not had any o my playbacks get back into sync as this one seems to do.

Confound Delivery's best part is the sulking hunter at about 2:15ff. This is really going to look bad on his quarterly evaluation.

My only thought is that they are dark. I ran into this same problem when I converted all or most o the .zip films for M2 to .webm's. It took a while to get the right mix o plugins and scripts so they wouldn't lock up. I did it so I could just watch them without having to redo the setups.

Here is one you must post.. It's a Marathon 2 film for Eat It, Vid Boi. Obtaining the toaster at the start is amazing. I have yet to come anywhere near this.
I just play 'em; I don't know how they work.
The Man
Vidmaster

Dammit. I don’t know why it sometimes freezes like that. I’ll re-encode the “Poor Yorick” one after “Thing What Kicks…” finishes, I guess. It only does that on my PC; my MacBook always seems to get them fine. Maybe I should just encode them there, even though they’re only 720p. They go way faster on the MacBook, too. (Then again, I’m never running anything else when I encode on my MacBook, but I sometimes do other things on my PC at the same time I encode videos. Maybe that’s the problem.)

I was probably gonna do Sidoh’s films after Dr Sumner’s; IIRC they’re the two most recent players to complete the challenge for the whole trilogy, so I figure they probably have some more refined strategies in their films than can be found in the earlier ones. I’ll make the “Eat It, Vid Boi!” one a priority, though.

Glad people are enjoying them. And I agree they are dark. It’s particularly bad when I’m watching from a cellphone (which is often). YouTube has a post-processing feature that can lighten videos somewhat, which I may look into applying if I can find a way to make it look decent. It also apparently can crop videos, though I haven’t figured out how to do that – once I do, I’ll make these 4:3.

The Man
Vidmaster

I lied about not doing any more levels. I did “Poor Yorick” and “Son of Grendel” just now. I also kept playing through “You Think You’re Big Time?” on the latter. This doesn't really count as a vid film for those levels, though since I ran clean out of magnum ammo on “Son of Grendel”, it was arguably harder (I did have slightly more than 1x health starting out “Big Time”, but given how plentiful energy rechargers are on that level, it’s probably not a big advantage. I was actually kind of disappointed how easy that level was). You can clearly see I haven't played these levels in years by the way I don’t know where anything is, and how badly I screw up the “Strange Aeons” jumping puzzle - I try to take the short way ’round that one of the secrets in “Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk” in Chronicles requires before concluding that the difference in shape between the two rooms is too big for me to overcome my muscle memory, giving up, and doing it the intended way.

“How to Disappear Completely”, also from Chronicles, made it way easier to vid “Son of Grendel” (in fact, the latter is pathetically easy in comparison), but don’t expect me to make an “Acme” film soon, or, probably, ever.

I'll post these tomorrow, along with a fixed version of John’s “Poor Yorick”. I need sleep, to the point where I think it’s been negatively impacting my short-term memory; that’s also why I didn’t try playing at least through “Aye Mak Sicur”.

ETA: Here are my “Poor Yorick” and “Son of Grendel”. Uploading hopefully fixed version of John’s “Poor Yorick” as we speak. The file size looks right for it (if there were freezes, it’d probably be smaller than 3.34 GiB), but I can’t know for sure without watching it, which I may not have time to do for awhile.

HelviusRufus
Cyborg

Just finished watching Where Some Rarely Go. Liked it. This is one o the highlights.
10-4.png
5:20-11:15 would be classified as skating on thin ice.
Shows that you don't have to camp at the recharger.

One o the things I really like about Marathon is that among all your weapons,
you have a Brownie Holiday Flash (f9) to preserve those special moments.
I almost said kodiak, but that's a bear.
The Man
Vidmaster

I remember glancing at that film while it was encoding and being surprised how little health Dr Sumner had left. I also remember glancing again about fifteen minutes later in real-world time and seeing that he still had about the same amount of health. It was pretty astonishing. I haven’t played that level in at least six years, so I don’t remember if there simply isn’t a recharge available earlier in the level, but it’s impressive that he went that long without taking much (if any) damage.

I’m also always astonished at how long some of his films are. His “Poor Yorick” film is literally half an hour longer than mine is, down to the second. There were a couple of F’lickta I forgot to kill, but I’m having a difficult time imagining how I could spend fifty-two minutes playing that level even on TC. Then again, I guess he killed all the Pfhor on that level, not just the hostile ones. That would certainly be a lot more time-consuming. He still spent about ten more minutes on “Son of Grendel” than I did, though, and I cleared out that level entirely, as far as I know.

ravenshining
Vidmaster

The Man wrote:I’m also always astonished at how long some of his films are. His “Poor Yorick” film is literally half an hour longer than mine is, down to the second. There were a couple of F’lickta I forgot to kill, but I’m having a difficult time imagining how I could spend fifty-two minutes playing that level even on TC. Then again, I guess he killed all the Pfhor on that level, not just the hostile ones. That would certainly be a lot more time-consuming. He still spent about ten more minutes on “Son of Grendel” than I did, though, and I cleared out that level entirely, as far as I know.
That is a long time. I just gave it a spin myself, and I think it took me 22 minutes- and that's with me being a confectionist, finding and killing and reading all the things. Granted I kind of had to find all the things to kill all the things in a scratchstart, even with the SMG and shotgun I was running out of ammo towards the end.
Attachments
raven-poor_yorick.filA.zip
(37.33 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
The Man
Vidmaster

Having watched the video, part of it is that he killed almost everything with his fists because he is a madman. This includes the Troopers in many cases. In some cases he drew enemies out to fight one another, which is a very smart strategy, but often time-consuming. There’s also a fair amount of recharging in this particular video, but it makes sense in a level with that many Troopers. IIRC “Where Some Rarely Go” has mostly Fighters and Compilers as enemies (though those Turbo S’pht are really dangerous; however, they also only appear in a few parts of the level, IIRC).

Also, it’s interesting that the level took you about twenty-two minutes, because that was my time as well. Of course, I hadn’t played the full level in years and I didn’t kill everything. I’ll probably encode your video on my MacBook for the lulz, though it won’t be at full 1080p; if you’re fine with having it put up, I’ll put it on my YouTube channel as well. I’m currently finishing off encoding the “Rage” chapter of Dr Sumner’s videos (I only have “Eat the Path” left to encode), and I’ll probably put “By Committee” up at the same time (I actually started out encoding that one before “Eat the Path” because it was much longer, expecting that I’d sleep while it was encoding, and I wound up getting sucked into a mapmaking project that kept me up much longer than anticipated).

ravenshining
Vidmaster

lol, sure, you can put it on YT if you feel like it. There was a time, many years ago, when I could play through fists-only on TC, but those days are gone. I think my aim has improved, and I've gotten better at getting enemies to fight each other, but my reflexes aren't what they were in my teens and 20's.
The Man
Vidmaster

I know what you mean; I feel the same way at times. I’m probably way better at the game now overall despite that, though. How should I credit you?

I didn’t watch your whole playthrough yet, but I did notice while it was encoding that you’re both less conservative about ammo use than I am and a lot more aggressive in your approach to combat. (I had a ton of ammo left over at the end of my “Poor Yorick” playthrough.) I tend to try to make the Troopers kill themselves as often as possible (there was one point where I improvised with the Troopers by the lake with the “Two for the Price of One” entrance and managed to kill them all while I was fighting the underwater F’lickta, which I’m quite proud of), because I suck at Troopers, to put it bluntly.

I need to learn how to play properly with the mouse. You can look around so much more quickly, and it seems like a gigantic advantage. What key bindings would you recommend? I’m half tempted just to use whatever the defaults were with Blauwe Vingers, which I used when I played the scenario, but I’ve been too lazy to copy them elsewhere.

ETA: here's the link, btw

ravenshining
Vidmaster

I used to be more conservative with ammo. But, I realised I was so conservative that I never got to have any fun playing with the more fun weapons, and so I started using more. I do favour my fists more against fighters and hunters, which you don't get to fight on this level aside from that one poor surviving unsuspecting hunter I shotgunned- I wanted to fight more, but the troopers took them all out, as I sadly noted from the clifftops, searching for survivors to pick off. I still tend to avoid using the AR primary as I dislike the sound and the sprite, except when faced with troopers and enforcers.

My pistoling the first two troopers was entirely an effort to get them to go on each other (and it works!) - one clip into the first one pushes him far enough down the ledge that he still fires when the second gets in front of him, and one clip into the second to bring his health low enough for a grenade from the first to make him berserk.

Here are my control settings. Of particular note is my horizontal sensitivity is nearly twice my vertical sensitivity, and my laptop has three physical buttons located both immediately below the spacebar and redundant below the trackpad.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

NO... raw input
NO... invert mouse
0.134 vertical sensitivity
0.203 horizontal sensitivity
50%.. max speed

trackpad left.. primary trigger
trackpad middle secondary trigger
trackpad right. action

W - forward
S - backward
A - sidestep left
D - sidestep right
Q - glance left
E - glance right
Z - look up
X - look ahead
C - look down
R - next weapon
F - previous weapon
CTRL - walk/swim
V - map
I appreciate the default HUD btw, as that's how I played it. I would have clipped out me trying to find a quick and interesting way to die at the end, but that's okay.
The Man
Vidmaster

Thanks; I’ll probably give those settings a try tomorrow. I’m absolutely dead from work this week for unknown reasons, and I don’t even have tomorrow off.

I hadn’t honestly watched the last few minutes of your film yet, so I didn’t realise they weren’t all relevant. I think YouTube can trim out excess footage; maybe I’ll do that tomorrow as well.

And yeah, I’ve been trying to be more willing to use ammo myself. My current Chronicles save has something like 210 alien weapon magazines on level 30 or something, and that’s one of the weapons I use most often. (Of course, I sometimes think my scenario has too much ammo anyway, and that I should remove about half of it, but I still don’t know how difficult it is to other people.)

Getting the troopers to fight one another is one of the most entertaining things about playing “Poor Yorick”, I think. There are often several ways to do it.

The Man
Vidmaster

I vidded “You Think You’re Big Time? You’re Gonna Die Big Time!” (not very surprising since I already completed it with no ammo and only slightly more than 1x shields at the end of my “Son of Grendel” film, linked above). I find the name of this level to be a big fat LIE; it’s pretty easy even on Total Carnage. I didn’t die once. Maybe the bonus version is more challenging.

I’m almost done encoding Dr Sumner’s “Strange Aeons” and “Bagged Again”, which will be the last non-secret levels in the game. After that I’ll have the adaptations of the net levels, the failed timelines, and FM’s Vidmaster’s Challenge levels to go. Once I’ve finished those, will people want me to upload Dr Sumner’s M2 levels, another player’s M∞ levels, another player’s M2 levels, Dr Sumner’s Tempus/Rubicon levels, or should I try to figure out Basilisk and start encoding M1 films?

ETA: for some reason I can't see the last few levels yet; I'm not sure if they didn't finish uploading or if YouTube is just being weird. I don't think they'll be accessible until I get back from work around 1:15 am EDT; sorry about that.

General-RADIX
Cyborg

Hm...I'd like to see his Rubicon vids, but am also thinking that it'd be a good idea to upload his M2 vids first.
welcome to the scene of the crash
The Man
Vidmaster

Those are the two options I'm leaning towards as well. The thing about Rubicon is there are way fewer gameplay videos of it online, and Dr Sumner's videos in particular are really difficult to find, but people are probably a lot likelier to watch M2. I think it might be best to upload all of Dr Sumner's videos in one batch, in any case. I might go M2, M1, Rubicon, Tempus, then start with Sidoh's videos after that. But I'm open to other suggestions.

The Man
Vidmaster

I completed FM’s version of “You Think You’re Big Time?” I still haven’t died big time, though this version came closer to living up to its title. I used fists only apart from the Juggernaut and the final Hunter – well, that was my intention, though a Fighter wandered into the path of one of my rockets and another Hunter was caught in the blast radius. I’m fairly proud of killing the surviving Troopers with my fists, though, and of successfully managing this on my first attempt on TC. I doubt I’ll manage that with either of FM’s other secret levels.

BTW: should Infinity levels be sorted by map order or gameplay order in my playlist? (I.e., should “Robot World Arena” come after “Aye Mak Sicur” or after “Rise Robot Rise”?) I can see a legitimate argument for either of them, and now that I’m uploading the secret levels, it’s an important question.

The Man
Vidmaster

I’ve now uploaded Dr Sumner’s entire Infinity film pack. It’s possible he later recorded other Infinity films I haven’t uploaded yet; I didn’t check. I’m also not entirely sure whether I’ll make a separate playlist for other people’s Infinity films when I start uploading them.

In any case, do people want me to follow up with his M2 films or something else? I’m open to suggestions.

The Man
Vidmaster

First four Sumner M2 films up. I vidded the first three levels myself, though they're kind of sloppy and I may redo them (I actually did Waterloo with sunglasses on for who knows what reason; it probably messed up my playing a bit). Those will be up at some point as well. I'm encoding Sumner's "Come and Take Your Medicine" but I don't know if it's actually working. I may have to redo it, but I don't have time to look into it in more depth before work.

Playlist here.

The Man
Vidmaster

Here are my own videos.

Waterloo Waterpark
The Slings & Arrows of Outrageous Fortune
Charon Doesn’t Make Change

(I also made a playlist for the videos I’ve recorded so far.)

I played really aggressively, to the point where I probably spent more than half the “Waterloo” video with less than half shields, because I was aiming for a mix of speed and completeness. I actually died once each in my attempts of the first two levels because I took so many risks. As a result, the playing may look a bit sloppy, but in comparison to Dr Sumner’s “Waterloo” video, I might actually like mine more; there’s less backtracking, since I took a fairly optimised route through the level and only recharged (IIRC) twice. I used more shots on the outside drones, but that also means there’s less waiting around for them to kill one another. I started out using magnum shots but then, remembering “never shoot where I can use grenades”, switched to grenades. Are the drones in the pool next to the staircase there in the original Mac version of the level? I can’t remember; if they are, I might’ve forgotten to defeat them. Oops.

Not much to say about the other two levels. The F’lickta in the river in “Charon” are really dangerous, thanks to the strong current. I kind of suck at fighting underwater with my fists; I need to get better at it. I used fists only in those two levels except for a few Ticks in “Charon”, the fighters on the ledge in “Slings & Arrows”, and a few shots to take a shortcut out of the sewage in “Slings & Arrows”.

Don’t expect the next several M2 levels to get done anytime soon; I don’t know the later levels as well and there’s a huge spike in difficulty on TC after “Charon”. Actually, the next level I attempt is probably going to be “Kill Your Television”, since it’s my favourite level from any game ever.

Finally, can someone watch my upload of Dr Sumner’s “Come and Take Your Medicine” and let me know if there are any freezes? The file size looks about right given the length of the film, but my computer was behaving weirdly when I encoded it; in fact, it’s actually my second encode, because the first one came out with a suspiciously small file size (it was 2.5 GiB or thereabouts; this one’s 3.14). The “We’re Everywhere” one, which I also have completed, should hopefully have gotten done without any problems.

HelviusRufus
Cyborg

I didn't notice any freezes.
The Man
Vidmaster

Thanks. I’m only just now going to have time to watch it, so I’m glad to have had the answer before then so that I can focus on the gameplay. (And also that I won’t have to encode it a third time.)

The Man
Vidmaster

Kill Your Television (about six minutes of upload time left, followed by however long YouTube takes to encode it, but if I don’t post this now, that means it’ll be longer until I can reply in other threads)

It’s not a great film. I started out trying to do this fists only, and if I’d had more time, I might’ve succeeded. But I quickly realised that if I didn’t want to use weapons, I wasn’t going to have time to finish the level before having to leave for work, and that wouldn’t have sufficed – I’d probably have been distracted the whole time wondering whether I could finish the level. As it turns out, I could – barely. I very nearly die due to an ambush in one of Thoth’s computer banks, but I manage to emerge with about 1/10 shields left.

I’m fairly sure I cleared out all the Cyborgs and F’lickta, and I think I even completed the automap to the furthest possible extent. I definitely did not clear out all the Ticks, because who cares. AFAIK, I collected all the ammo, and I went back to show the “I am a hero” terminal.

As I’ve said before, I’m fairly sure this is my favourite level from any game ever, so I’ll probably go back and replay it at some point. This was my first TC attempt; no deaths.