Contacting the Portal of Sigma team

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Flowers
Cyborg

Does anyone here know where I could contact any of the developers of Portal of Sigma? I've been working on a project by myself for some time, and since I'm no artist, I'd like to be able to ask permission to borrow some textures from Portal of Sigma. However, the only means of contact I've found was an old yahoo email address from 2006 that belonged to the project leader Simon, but it seems to have been abandoned as I have not received an email back.

Any pointers?
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Flowers wrote:Any pointers?
http://pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13& ... 45#p162345
2020.jpg
2020.jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 6529 times
Flowers
Cyborg

What Ryoko and Patrick are saying is this: Portal of Sigma is tainted. If you're looking to redistribute or borrow from it, chances are you'll step on someone's toes regardless of what Simon says
Damn, that's a lot to unpackage in that thread. However, from my understanding, despite Simon giving Ryoko textures that weren't from his project/his to give, the textures from Portal of Sigma are still legitimately from him and his team, yes? Or must I abandon my quest to use PoS textures now? They truly are good looking textures.

I was unaware of the drama around Portal of Sigma. It wasn't my intention to unearth buried skeletons.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

we're all resurrectionists here
Hopper
Mjolnir Mark IV

Flowers wrote:despite Simon giving Ryoko textures that weren't from his project/his to give, the textures from Portal of Sigma are still legitimately from him and his team, yes?
You buy a used stereo from a friend. "I've had it for years, but I'm upgrading," he says. Really good deal, you hand him the cash.

A week later, the police knock on your door and confiscate the stereo. It's stolen.

You go back to confront your friend. "No, no, it really was mine! I mean, it was mine after I bought it. I mean, yeah okay it was stolen, but this one here is completely legit! 30 bucks and it's yours."

You're the type who'd buy that second stereo, aren't you?
Flowers
Cyborg

Hopper wrote:You're the type who'd buy that second stereo, aren't you?
No. Analogy aside, I typically don't trust used electronics.

I got in touch with Simon and he didn't want me to use any of the PoS textures. Whether he is the rightful owner of these textures or not, I had decided to drop the idea anyway before Simon replied back to me because of the controversy surrounding them and I wouldn't want any of that to reflect onto me. It was stupid to still hold onto the idea of using them even after I had learned of the history behind them.

I don't want to rip anyone off and I don't want anyone to assume I'm a thief. When I made this thread it was in good faith so that I didn't step on anyones toes. I won't be using them, and any textures I may end up using in the future will either be hand made or from the Orphanage.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I'm curious if people here find the Myth mod Project Mjolnir to be "tainted" because it includes Sigma's modified Pfhor as a unit variant.

Then again Mjolnir is also primarily the work of Oogabooga who appears to be seen as disreputable in the Myth community for his association with someone named Renwood who apparently pulled some shady somethingoranother I never got the full details of, so maybe Mjolnir is "tainted" just because of that?

Now I'm wondering if there's any connection between Simon and Renwood, or if Ooga just found himself adjacent to two unrelated controversial figures.

Project Mjolnir is fucking awesome BTW and you should all play it. Loads of fun getting a bunch of "Marines" (Marathon player-units; they should probably be named "Security Officers" instead) loaded up with your favorite weapons like SMGs, railguns, and masers, and mowing down horde after horde of all manner of Pfhor on a rolling outdoor terrain. It really makes it clear why Battleroids are considered weapons of mass destruction: one of them on a battlefield can defeat an entire army, and a whole squadron of them...

Oh and you get some Bobs and VacBobs and so on to back them up too, but they'll probably just kill each other with friendly fire before the enemy can get to them.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

Pfhorrest wrote: It really makes it clear why Battleroids are considered weapons of mass destruction: one of them on a battlefield can defeat an entire army, and a whole squadron of them...
to drive this further off topic:
good thing then that the Pfhor didn't assimilate the Battleroids. They went with non combatant units instead..

Pfhor High Command: we blame the intern. But don't worry, we put bombs in them so they are walking land mines now and they will announce when they are coming. :)
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

The cyborg tanks in Marathon 2 were the Pfhor's attempts at replicating Battleroids from captured Bobs.
Flowers
Cyborg

Before we get back to regular, scheduled programming, I need to know something....Are hunters biological Pfhor that just wear armor or are they mechs of some sort? This has always irked me and since you guys are talking about enemies, I have to ask.
ravenshining
Vidmaster

leela.wirehead.870229//b7 wrote:
I have obtained more debriefing reports from the crew whom you
rescued earlier.

They have reported seeing two types of Pfhor that you have not
yet encountered. Evidently, these are two of the other
"clans" which Durandal alluded to in earlier communications.

One is taller than the Fighters. Oddly, the report indicated
that this new Pfhor fired only upon other Pfhor and never on
any humans. Because of this and their general appearance, the
crew who saw them referred to them as Enforcers.

The other Alien was named Hunter by the crew due to its size
and appearance. It fires an energy weapon from its shoulder
and is heavily armored. Unlike the Fighters, the Hunters
never take prisoners.
patrick
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wrkncacnter wrote:let's get back to dumping on simon
his username suggests it's redundant