Is netplay canon?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
asdkzx123
Spazeroid

Where does the netplay component fit into the Marathon story? Any theories are welcomed.
$lave
Vidmaster

netplay takes place in the SO's lonely cyborg mind, representing his desire for companionship. this is why in infinity there are several secret levels which can only be reached in co-op; they are clearly not "real" areas, just dreamlike corruptions of other levels. and why is duality, an emfh net level, included in these "co-op" only levels? 'cause the lonely ass cyborg just wants to play with someone for once, and the only "playing" he knows is shooting stuff.
Zott
Vidmaster

During the teleportation from one level to the next, the Marine interacts with other reality streams: Half hallucination, half shadowy figments. You're not really shooting bullets at Marines, but the player's mind can't comprehend it otherwise. The designers of the teleporter deemed it a feature, not a bug. - it helps kill time along the trip.

Edit: Fixed my word garbage
Last edited by Zott on Dec 21st '19, 18:52, edited 2 times in total.
Meerjel01
Cyborg

Seem's like everything is canon in Marathon's universe. Even the Pinky and the Brain story.
Ku-rin
Born on Board

Zott wrote:During the teleportation from one level to the next, the Marine interacts with other reality streams: Half hallucination, half shadows figments. You're not really shooting bullets at Marines, but the player's mind can't comprehend it otherwise. The designers of the teleporter deamed it a bug, not a feature. - it helps kill time along the trip.
I think you mean 'deemed it a feature, not a bug'. It does explain a lot, really. I mean, what does teleporting do to a human brain? A cyborg brain? Hell, all that teleporting is probably also why the BoBs only utter the same phrases over and over again (that or several generations of inbreeding).

Constant teleporting is creating lesions in the speech centers of their brains! But, because they have little choice in the matter, they just adapt to it, and soon are able to communicate in a gestalt fashion incorporating intonation and body language, as seen in this conversation:

"I'm out of ammo!"
(Hey, I'm going to get lunch, want to join me?)

"My fault."
(Oh, I've already eaten. Perhaps we could arrange to eat dinner tonight instead?)

"Perimeter secured."
(No worries! Yes, that sounds wonderful. Does seven o'clock work for you?)

"Why don't we wait for backup?"
(Certainly.)

"See you starside!"
(Very good, then I shall see you then.)

"Take us up!"
(Indeed! Fair thee well, sir. Oh, and if you see Phil, tell him I'm still waiting for him to return the book I lent him last week.)

Then when some guy starts saying stuff like "frog blast the vent core" nobody bats an eye until he explodes, and even then it takes a while to realize something is off about him...

Teleporters: Not Even Once