Question about Eternal's Music

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
HunterOfShadows
Cyborg

where can I find the source for some of this music? especially the tracks like Carbon or Iron Gates for example, I want to share some of this music with friends, but can't find them
The Man
Vidmaster

We don’t have the original FLAC audio for these any longer, but I made a remastered version around a year ago which contains reconstructed audio, employing a complicated process which I’ve explained in detail in a PDF that comes with the downloads of the music (this process also employs many, though not all, of the same steps I used to create my remastered game sounds). You have several options for where to obtain this:

Here’s a link to the remastered soundtrack in FLAC (my recommended download). You can create MP3 or M4A versions from the FLAC audio yourself – I prefer not to distribute lossy audio, since different people prefer different encoding settings.

However, I had to make Ogg Vorbis versions of the remastered audio for the game, for reasons explained below. These can be found on Craig Hardgrove’s website (see “Remastered Remakes”). If memory serves, they are 320 kbps VBR or q9.0.

If you’d prefer to stream the soundtrack on YouTube, I’ve uploaded the entire soundtrack (including a couple of bonus tracks) to my YouTube channel.

The audio the game itself uses (again, in Ogg Vorbis format) can be found in Eternal-Data/Music inside your Eternal download. These come with a major caveat, though: Since three of Tommy’s tracks loop inside the game, their endings will sound bad outside of the game, which is why I’ve added alternate versions of those inside each of my remastered downloads.

A lot of players don’t support Ogg Vorbis, unfortunately, but we had to use either Vorbis or WAV in order to preserve the gapless loops within Tommy’s tracks – MP3 has gaps at the start and end of each track, which would be conspicuous each time a track looped. I rather doubt anyone wants uncompressed WAV for game audio, so Vorbis is our only option, at least unless and until someone builds FLAC support into the game engine.

Glad you’ve enjoyed the soundtrack, BTW! Not that I had anything to do with it besides remastering it.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge
HunterOfShadows
Cyborg

so no one knows the original artist and where said artist would have had their music? odd

as for the youtube channel, I've seen that before, but I generally don't care for vids that are just all the songs put together
The Man
Vidmaster

No, we know who all the creators are. Nick and Craig no longer have lossless mixes of the source audio, if they ever bothered making them (which I doubt, as lossless audio wasn’t widely distributed when the earliest versions of the game came out); I’ve asked them both. I’ve attempted unsuccessfully to contact Tommy – the only contact info I have for him is an old Pfhorums account that he probably hasn’t logged into in years, though. The only creator I haven’t attempted to contact yet is Eike, who created only one track for the game, namely the awesome title music. I wasn’t aware of his contact info until relatively recently, and I’ve just been distracted by other things.

I briefly thought about making separate videos for each track, but I decided I didn’t want to bombard subscribers with twenty-seven (or however many) new videos in their subscriptions list. (I love SpeedGaming overall, but they do upload a lot of videos.) Of course, I suppose I could just do the same thing I do for my vid films of our games in development and just make them unlisted and add them to a public playlist, but that’s super annoying, since it requires rendering, uploading, and writing descriptions for twenty-seven separate videos. The nice thing about having everything in a single video is you can just leave it running while you do something else and not have to worry about either finding the right playlist or making your own. If people want separate tracks, they can just use one of the download links in the video description.
“People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.” —V, V for Vendetta (Alan Moore)

“The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas”

“If others had not been foolish, we should be so.” —William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

“The law cannot protect anyone unless it binds everyone; and it cannot bind anyone unless it protects everyone.” —Frank Wilhoit

Last.fm · Marathon Chronicles · Marathon Eternal 1.2 · Where Monsters Are in Dreams · YouTube Vidmaster’s Challenge