Escape From the Marathon

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Summer quickly ran off in the direction the doctor had pointed her, and opened a cabinet to find a suitable array of bioanalytic equipment including not one, but two protein sequencers! Ecstatic, she quickly located a syringe and carefully took a sample of capillary blood from her injured right hand, awkwardly using her less-dextrous left to do so. She set up the first protein sequencer and inserted the sample, then set the machine to begin scanning.

She set up the second machine, to process a sample from her shoulder injury. She took off her coat and draped it over the nearest piece of furniture, then unbuttoned her pajama shirt, sliding it off her right arm to expose the shoulder, and attempted to take a sample from her injury. But the odd angle to reach and the lack of dexterity in her left hand made it impossibly difficult. Without thinking to recompose her shirt, she looked back toward the doctor and Gerald, about to ask one of them to help take this sample; but seeing them busy with the crazy boy they had found, she instead called to Simon.

"Simon!" she called, still half-exposed. "You any good with a syringe?"
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Oct 26th '10, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
CryoS
Vidmaster

"You any good with a syringe?"

"I have a good aim, but havent used syringes that much." Simon replied.
Simon did a quick perimiter search before he walked over to Summer.
"OK, what exactly do you want me to do?"
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

"You just need steady hands, really." Summer explained. "Take this," she held up the syringe, then turned her bare shoulder toward him and gestured, "and carefully insert the tip about a quarter centimeter into the skin, near but not inside the open wound, about here. Then," she turned to face him again, demonstrating with the syringe, "slowly pull back on this part, while keeping the tip steady. When you've retracted it entirely, you can just pull the tip straight out. Don't worry about gauze, it's bloody enough already, another prick won't hurt." She handed the syringe to Simon, and turned to face the wounded shoulder toward him again.

In her mind, Summer was impressed with Simon's professionalism in the face of her partial nudity. In her experience, most Bobs, especially uneducated grunts like Simon, were far more conservative than Earth folk of her time had been, and Bob men especially would not be so unfazed by the sight of an even partially-exposed woman. Her respect for Simon clicked up yet another notch.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Oct 26th '10, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
CryoS
Vidmaster

Simon Started to do as Summer had instructed, focusing on the syringe, trying to avoid staring.
Once the syringe was filled, SImon gave it to Summers.
"Is there anything else you need help with?" He asked before he went back to guard the entrance.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Paul wrote:....
He looked to the doctor, and said "Ready? One, two, three!"
"Ok. Thank you, sir!" The Dr. smiled, showing a little too much pride for his role such a trivial task, as usual. "Physically, this guy's pretty banged up, but he'll live. I think some rest and hydration are in order. I can see you're fatigued, Gerald. If you like I can either give you something to relax, or something to help keep you awake." Marty intended to pause, and give Gerald time to answer, but instead pressed on, "So...what sort of leadership does your group have? Are you aware of the nearby escape pods? Do you have a goal of some sort?"
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Harley paced briskly down the hallway, searching for the Assault Rifle he had left out there minutes before. Spotting the crate he had left it leaning against, he quickly scanned around the sides of the crate, and found it on the far side of it.
Gathering the weapon, feeling relieved, Harley slung it back over his shoulder. Before turning to head back to the medical bay, although he was keeping in mind that Simon would obviously want to quickly set up the barricade for the door again, he noticed something down the dimly lit hall: the lights are short-circuiting.
The lights closest to the medical bay were flickering, and the ones around the corner, further down the corridor, were either dimly lit or not working at all.
Curious, Harley began walking down the hallway, looking to see what damage may have been done. He looked up to see a loose cable dangling from the ceiling. He reached up and grabbed it, wondering what damage had been done to it?given that it looked like it was, for the most part, intact?he saw patterns of marks along the surface of the, and on the other side: burn marks. With a dark brown substance sizzling inside of it.
Dropping the cable, Harley looked down the hallway again, suddenly feeling paranoid. All of a sudden he could hear odd, quiet chattering around the next corner. He unslung his rifle and raised the butt of it to his shoulder. And carefully peeking around the corner, he spotted a terrifyingly large insect creature?about the size of a small child?which appeared to be chewing out the wires and circuitry from a wall. It had four grooved spines coming out of the sides of its body, and one coming out from its bottom, as well as four wings beating fast enough to keep it hovering in its spot, and a single green eye in its center.
It then turned to Harley, and before he could react, it spat out a gob of brown liquid at him. Harley, reacting as best he could, began to pivot to his right side, but a remainder the substance brushed against his shoulder, disintegrating that part of his jumpsuit and giving an excruciating burning sensation.
Panicked, Harley snapped back the trigger of his Assault Rifle and, with a long burst, tore the beast in two.
Dropping his weapon, he quickly inspected his wounded arm.
It's not bad, I just caught a bit of it, he thought.
He could then hear more chatters coming from the hole the alien had dug in the wall. Taking a look at it, he was surprised to see it had done more damage than he had thought?it had burrowed deep enough to meet various other chambers existing within.
He took his rifle, and sprinted his way back to the med bay.
Last edited by Marathoner325 on Oct 28th '10, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

After Simon had finished taking the sample from her shoulder, Summer slipped her shirt sleeve back on (but didn't bother to refasten it; too tired, who cares anyway), fed the sample into the second protein sequencer, and set it to scanning. She then stepped a few paces away and collapsed on the same couch she had draped her coat on, announcing to anyone who was listening, "If I pass out by the time those are done someone wake me up ASAP. I'm just gonna... veg... here... ferwhile..." She closed her eyes, breathed deeply, and melted into the couch, relaxing for the first time since her apartment had unexpectedly exploded the previous night.
Paul
Cyborg

Gerald helped the doctor move the unconscious boy onto the table. He set him down gingerly and heard the doctor talk about the youth's condition. He nearly slipped into unconsciousness until he heard the doctor say "...I can see you're fatigued, Gerald. If you like I can either give you something to relax, or something to help keep you awake."

He shook his head, and was about to decline both tranquilizer and adrenaline (He wasn't sure what it was, but it probably had a similar effect) and go to sleep naturally, but then he saw Summer was asleep. He was about to say "Adrenaline" but was interrupted by the doctor.

"So...what sort of leadership does your group have? Are you aware of the nearby escape pods? Do you have a goal of some sort?"

In Gerald's tired and confused mind, these several questions echoed around in his head, causing chaos. He shook it off.

"Well, we're sort of just going along. Summer," he pointed to her sleeping form, "has sort of commandeered us to the med bay, but we needed to go anyways, so we're going along with it. Frankly-" he stifled a yawn and shook his head once more, then shifted closer to the doctor, and whispered. "Frankly, I'm not too happy about her. She seems like she has other motives. And I'm not sure, but Simon hasn't been perfectly courteous to her, either."

He sighed. "But I guess we're all leading. We're just trying to survive and-." He paused, his head dropping into his lap from exhaustion. "Adrenaline now," he half commanded, half pleaded, as he shook his head once again.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Harley arrived back at the med bay entrance, completely exhausted, and shouted, "Everyone, there's something coming!" He surveyed the scene, and saw that Summer was limp on a couch while Gerald appeared to be dozing off as well.
"Wake up!" he barked, running into the room.
Last edited by Marathoner325 on Oct 28th '10, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

"I'm just gonna... veg... here... ferwhile..."

Summer's mind disconnected from her body, and she went limp as a rag doll on the couch, eyes closed, but not yet entirely asleep. As usual in this half-sleep, her attention turned to her hearing, and she visualized what she heard as though she were dreaming it, or as though watching a film; herself a character, visible in the third person, imagined camera angles dramatically accenting the events she half-consciously perceived.

She "watched" Gerald and the doctor converse, Gerald voicing his concerns about her. She saw her own face looking perplexed, mouthing "other motives?" As Gerald and the doctor's conversation wore on, suddenly Harley burst into the room, and shouted "Everyone, there's something coming! Wake up!".

She looked at Harley, and at the rest of the crew's panicked reaction. As Harley explained what he had saw, and the others listened intently, suddenly a suspicious look came over her face. She turned to face the corner where she had propped up - and promptly forgotten - the captured alien, behind the others and out of sight, only to see that it was no longer unconscious, but had awoken and was speaking quietly through it's comm system. She pulled back tighter against the couch and surreptitiously observed it's conversation. "Roger that", it said. "Confirming backup arrival in T-minus 15 seconds. Commencing distraction maneuver delta-24 baker."

The alien slowly and cautiously rose to it's feet, and crept out of the corner where it had lain. It glanced aside at Summer as it crept, and she quickly feigned unconsciousness, watching only through one cracked-open eye. As the alien turned its attention again toward the others, it built up speed to a run, and lept at Gerald's back as the doctor prepared to give him the adrenaline shot he had requested. Suddenly realizing she had to act, Summer shot forward in her seat, pointed behind Gerald, and shouted "THE ALIEN!"

. . .

She blinked, suddenly disoriented, and dropped her outstretched hand now pointing only at the empty space behind Gerald. She looked back to the corner where the still-unconscious form of the captured alien still laid, and stared, trying to blink away confusion. Now very unsure of reality, wondering if the entire ordeal with the alien invasion had been some horrible nightmare, she looked around the room, back toward the door where Harley still stood, having barely finished calling for them to wake up. She blinked more, dazed and confused, and stared at Harley with an expression which read "Please explain?"
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Oct 28th '10, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

"THE ALIEN!" Summer had blurted out, as soon as Harley finished had shouted at her to wake up.
Perplexed, he looked over at the still-unconscious alien. Wondering how Summer darted forward in her seat so unexpectedly?considering she appeared to be sound sleep just seconds before?Harley decided she may have just been having a dream, and his unexpected and panicked arrival was probably what woke her up.
Noticing Summer was staring right at him with a confused expression, Harley asked, "Are you alright?"
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

"Are you alright?" Harley had asked Summer.

"I... don't..." she began confusedly, and glanced back again at the unconscious alien, affirming that this was not all just some horrible nightmare. Facing back to Harley again, she more wakefully, but resignedly, replied "Not really, no," obviously meaning the entire situation and her exhaustion with it, rather than anything in particular. She looked at him expectantly a moment, and said "Well?", as though it should be followed with "Spit it out! Whatever you were going to say!"
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Oct 29th '10, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

"Well?" Summer asked Harley expectantly.
Remembering what he had come back for Harley quickly said, "There was something back there... It was smaller than the other aliens, and it had wings. It spit out?" Harley paused to glance down at his wounded shoulder, seeing that the skin there had turned black and there was no blood. Looking back to Summer, he quickly finished, "I killed it though. But I think there's could be more coming" Harley turned back to the doorway, looking down the dark hallway, where it still looked dim and quiet.
Realizing that danger could still be close, Harley looked back to the group and said, "Guys, we have to set up the barricade again!"
Last edited by Marathoner325 on Oct 30th '10, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
CryoS
Vidmaster

Simon astarted to push back the crates, heavy as they were, with Harleys help it only took minutes.
"Ok guys, check you weapons. Harley? were the flyer small enough to fit through the hole in the barricade? If so we gona have to make it smaller."
Suddenly the few lightsources still active started to flicker. "Turn them off completly, we might be able to avoid giving away our position if it stays dark and quiet." Said Simon.
Dugit
Vidmaster

The youth felt the warm half-embrace of an entity that felt so alien and yet so right to him- another human being (that wasn't a corpse). His legs buckled but he remained standing. His cheeks flushed, looking healthier already. He followed them; his eyes large and glittering with a film of tears. He combed his hair back with his fingers, examining the crust of dry blood that fell down his back like snow and onto his fingers.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Paul wrote:...
"Adrenaline now," he half commanded, half pleaded, as he shook his head once again.
"Very well. There's no substitute for effects of honest sleep, though. Why don't you rest your eyes while I tend to this man's surface abrasions. I'll wake you when I'm through for a shot of 'wake-up-juice' afterward," Marty offered with an attempted friendly smile.
Marathoner325 wrote:...
"Everyone, there's something coming!"
"Wake up!" he barked, running into the room.
Marathoner325 wrote:...
"Guys, we have to set up the barricade again!"
Marty watched the earless man scramble with the brute to secure the entrance. "DaVinci and the Gladiator?" he chuckled to himself. "Excuse me, I've been wandering these corridors for some time now...I didn't see or hear anything that unusual. Are you sure about what you saw?" Despite his skepticism, he recalled the vent shaft he had opened in the back, and the dead bodies he left behind in the records room.
Last edited by effigy on Oct 30th '10, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
Wasabi
Born on Board

That looks like the ninth one Preston thought as he looked at the red arrow that said MEDBAY on it. Preston, Jackson and the new member who had not stated his name were walking down a hallway that seemed to go on forever.
"We should be getting close." Preston said and then he saw that the medbay was barricaded.
"What is this shit!" he yelled.
wasabi?
Paul
Cyborg

Gerald was in a trance. He was asleep, but he heard yelling and the screech of tortured metal. He contemplated yelling at whoever was making the sound but was too tired. His eyes remained closed, and he grabbed for his pillow-

His eyes opened.

There was no pillow.

That life was gone.

Gerald shook his head and sat up. Where it was previously quiet, Simon and Harley pushed the large crates back into position, blocking the door. They had just finally pushed the last one against the door when Simon turned around and said, "Okay guys; check your weapons."

Gerald was about to ask why, but Simon continued. "Harley? Was the flyer small enough to fit through the hole in the barricade? If so, we're gonna have to make it smaller."

Flyer? he asked himself. What the hell? He shook his head and checked the ammo in his Assault Rifle's magazine. He hit the release and slid it out, and then checked inside. He couldn't count the bullets as they were stacked, but it was close enough to full.

Gerald was just about to check the revolving grenade launcher's ammo when the lights flickered. Gerald saw Simon look up, think for a second, and add: "Turn them off completely; we might be able to avoid giving away our position if it stays dark and quiet."

Gerald wasn't sure who did it, but he heard a click and he was suddenly plunged into pitch darkness. Well, pitch darkness minus the dozens of running lights scattered about the room. Gerald grasped his assault rifle tightly and slid off the bed and crouched behind it. As his eyes adjusted, he could just make out the shapes of the others in the room, though he couldn't identify anyone. He managed to make out the hole in the barricade and aimed his assault rifle at it.

Fear gripped Gerald; he wasn't even aware of anything but that hole and what might come through it.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

"Harley? Was the flyer small enough to fit through the hole in the barricade?" Harley heard Simon ask him. "If so, we're gonna have to make it smaller."
Eyeing the empty space that existed within the pile of cabinets and other items that they used for a makeshift barricade, Harley answered, "They're probably too big, but it would be worth blocking the doorway off completely."
Harley checked his Assault Rifle, and eyed the digital ammo counter on its side, reading "32."
"Excuse me, I've been wandering these corridors for some time now...I didn't see or hear anything that unusual. Are you sure about what you saw?" the Doctor questioned.
Am I sure about what I saw? Of course I'm sure?I killed the damn thing.
Simon turned off the lights, making Harley forget about the Doctor's question.
Looking through the open space in the barricade, Harley could see three standing figures in the dark hallway.
Startled, and seeing they were human, Harley shouted, "Who's there?!"
Dugit
Vidmaster

The youth nearly slid over on a patch of half-dried human blood, but caught his balance as his new companions eyed the medbay access. "What is this shit?" he heard one of them exclaim to what appeared to be a makeshift barricade. There was a hole in it, and through it, the youth caught the unmistakable glint of the barrel of an assault rifle. He took a step back, waiting for something to happen.

He heard someone shout "Who's there?" behind the barricade. The youth felt safer as the barrel of the assault rifle pointed away from the hole, but jittery again as it resumed its guard. He waited for his companions to respond; his throat was too sore and caked in blood and phlegm to talk. At least properly.
Last edited by Dugit on Oct 31st '10, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

"Guys, we have to set up the barricade again!" Harley had said. Summer, still half asleep and half in shock as the events of the preceding day shuffled around in her mind and affirmed their reality, stared dumbly as he and Simon reestablished their barricade. She was distantly aware of Gerald and the doctor discussing something, but in her mind it sounded like nothing but muffled mumbling. Unlike her earlier drift into half-sleep, where her mind would reach out to its surroundings via hearing as she faded from consciousness, she was now in the numb trance of waking prematurely.

The world seemed distant and muted. She understood somewhere deep in her mind that trouble was afoot and that she should probably do something about it, but another part of her desperately wanted to curl up on the couch and sleep for the rest of eternity. Torn between these impulses, she sat stiffly in place and stared blankly forward, a confused muddle of thoughts and emotions roiling in her mind. Suddenly all light left the room, and with it her consciousness; still sitting in place physically, she was no longer present mentally.
Wasabi
Born on Board

"Who's there!" someone yelled behind the barricade.
"We are a group of three in desperate need of medical attention." Preston said "Let us in please."
wasabi?
Paul
Cyborg

Gerald was happy it was dark; he could wallow in his own shame without anyone knowing it.

He had been so fixated upon killing any alien that came through the door that he had immediately pulled the trigger on the man who had put his face up to the barricade. The man would have been dead if Gerald hadn't forgotten to insert the magazine whose ammo he had checked. He hadn't heard any reaction to the click, but the others would have had to have heard it; the click was deafening to him. Shamed beyond comprehension, he blindly felt about the floor for the magazine he had set down. He fumbled with it, felt its curve, and managed to insert it into the assault rifle with another earsplitting click.

Gerald shook his head and remained aiming at the door, forgetting about his embarrassing moment. He turned to Simon. "Should we let them in?" he whispered. Feeling he hadn't made his opinion clear, he added, "What about the thing Harley saw?"
CryoS
Vidmaster

"Youre right Gerald..." Simon whispered back.
Simon took a minute to think about the situation.
"Ok, I will let you guys in, but you need to do as I tell you, when I tell you, Got it?" Simon said, as he slowly started to slide away the big crate.
"Get in, and take cover close to doc, and he'll check up on you once he can. We got hostiles on the way here and we dont want their attention."
Wasabi
Born on Board

"Thank you." Preston said as he walked into the medbay. "I'm Preston." Preston said. "Now which one of you is the doc?" Preston asked as he surveyed the room.
Last edited by Wasabi on Nov 2nd '10, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
wasabi?