EFM OOC/Support

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Jackson is pissed (for lack of a better word) at the aliens for keeping him from his wife and (soon to be) child and want's to kill every single goddamn one of them. He also needs the shotgun, if possible, surgically removed from his metallic hand.
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Nov 2nd '10, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Wasabi
Born on Board

After rereading wastd's post he implies that he is thinking that he is going to kill pfhor or us. So if wastd is planning on killing us Preston wouldn't have heard what Jackson was thinking. Oh and here is my summery.

Preston Donald is a twenty-four year old caucasian male who was recently married to Mary (I won't waste my time thinking of a maiden name for her). He has slightly tan skin and brown hair. He is wearing a zip up black hoodie on top of his orange (or whatever color the engineer class is) jumpsuit. he is 5'9 and has a hobby of collecting types of guns (making him a weapons expert) and is in good physical strength but is wounded on his right side and has hurt his left leg.
Last edited by Wasabi on Apr 9th '11, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
wasabi?
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Wait, why are we still talking about race? Isn't everyone on the Marathon racially mixed?
Wasabi wrote:Preston Donald... was recently married to Mary (I want to keep his wife's last name unknown for plot twists :)
Also, if you were married to her, that would make her Mary Donald, wouldn't it?

Also, how do you make a plot twist out of a last name?
Last edited by TectonInd on Nov 3rd '10, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Harley Daniels is BoB in his mid-thirties, who's 5'8 tall, and has a rather slim and scrawny build, making him the least athletically capable of the group (yet so far he's one of the characters who still hasn't suffered from extreme exhaustion yet). He has pale skin and dark hair, and has the regular green Crew Member overalls. He has a wounded left ear, as well as a burnt shoulder. And someone he knew by the name of "Angelica" has now died (I apologize for my failure to develop upon this further).

At this point I assume we're just waiting for someone to activate the incoming attack of Pfhor now?
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

Jackson is a Mathematics professor who was commissioned to help with the upbringing of BoBs. He is 25, having excelled through college so that he could graduate early, and has been married to Katrina for six months. He and she are to have a child, she being 3 months pregnant, and he only took the job on the ship because of the massive amount of pay he would receive (he and his future family could live comfortably for the rest of their lives, massive). At the age of 16, he got in a fight with someone who was bullying his best friend and lost, due to police intervention and a wayward grenade. He now lives with two robotic appendages, an arm and a leg, and suffers prejudice for them. He is 5' 10", looks slightly muscular, more so on his left side where all the robotics are housed, a sawn-off shotgun has welded itself to his metal parts in his hand, and is wearing a green shirt with jeans. He currently has skin raked off the metal on his left arm and a small cut on his head which has since scabbed over. His hair is relatively normal, a light brown with blond-ish highlights from the sun, and he has green eyes.

His last name has not been revealed as of yet. I don't know why, but it hasn't.

Did I miss anything?
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Nov 3rd '10, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Wasabi
Born on Board

TectonInd wrote:Wait, why are we still talking about race? Isn't everyone on the Marathon racially mixed?
Also, if you were married to her, that would make her Mary Donald, wouldn't it?

Also, how do you make a plot twist out of a last name?
I am keeping her maiden name a secret for a plot twist such as her being related to other players (them giving it an okay first of course) sorry I didn't go into detail about that.
wasabi?
CryoS
Vidmaster

so jackson is a cyborg with a shotgun welded to his metallic hand?

neat.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Paul
Cyborg

I'll write in the wasp's entrance if you guys want, but remember two things: Firstly, I was sort of waiting for people to react to Gerald's being a dumbass. Secondly, I'm also a bit jaded about writing it because usually these battles are sort of freeform, and this is one wasp and whoever reacts first is going to kill it, and that'll be it.

So I'm just waiting for a little input before I write anything.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I figured Marathoner would trigger the attack since the Wasps were his idea. (And I thought there's more than just the one, down the hole it came from).

Also, yes, unless your character is from Earth (which probably nobody else should be, given the proportion of BoBs to cryosleepers there would be on the Marathon), you should be mixed-race. Unless, I suppose, you have some backstory about racism running in your family, in which case maybe you could be of a single Earth-race and heavily inbred over the past 300 years.

Also also, you guys are writing about your back stories. I just wanted to know what you all look like. We can ask each other in-character about who each of us is and what our stories are, but it wouldn't make sense, e.g., for me to say "Summer asked the new people, 'What do you look like?'". She would just SEE what they look like. So we have to know that OOC, here, to be able to respond appropriately.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Joshua Davis is a 14 year-old BoB, 4' 11", with pale skin. He's wearing a small blue science uniform (His father is part of the science crew), and also has bits and pieces of armor from a dead security guard he found. Right now, he's currently nuts and looks like bloody swiss cheese.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Euthydemus Samson is a 15-year-old human (non BoB), the son of one of the Marathon navigators. He is middle-height, thin, blonde-haired and blue-eyed. He's wearing a beige, blood-stained, full-cover rag, and leather boots.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:Euthydemus Samson is a 15-year-old human (non BoB), the son of one of the Marathon navigators. He is middle-height, thin, blonde-haired and blue-eyed. He's wearing a beige, blood-stained, full-cover rag, and leather boots.
Having a 15 year old non-BoB would be a pretty tricky thing to pull off. Everyone born on the Marathon is technically a BoB; the only people on the Marathon who are not BoBs are people who were put in cryostasis at the start of the journey, and any kids born on the colony in the past seven years since it was established. I suppose we could count the children of reawakened cryosleepers as "non-BoBs" racially, even if they were still technically born on board. But that still leaves us with the problem of how you are 15, if your parents were in cryosleep the whole trip.

(I had a similar, kind of opposite problem with Summer: initially I had conceived her as being 25, an early graduate with a fresh PhD and a thesis on abiogenesis which really impressed the people putting together the Marathon crew roster, earning her a place on board. Then I realized, the Marathon's been at Tau Ceti for seven years now, so she's got to be at least 32 by now).

I suppose we could have it so that your parents, being navigators (at least one of them; who's the other, if not a Bob?), came out of cryosleep some years early to make sure the ship didn't miss Tau Ceti by a few lightyears; "last minute" course-corrections. There's a bit of a question as to why the ship's navigators would be in cryosleep to begin with (makes more sense that that's the kind of job the Bobs would be doing), but I suppose that can be handwaved easily enough.
Paul
Cyborg

(or we could stop having underage BoBs)
Dugit
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:Having a 15 year old non-BoB would be a pretty tricky thing to pull off. Everyone born on the Marathon is technically a BoB; the only people on the Marathon who are not BoBs are people who were put in cryostasis at the start of the journey, and any kids born on the colony in the past seven years since it was established. I suppose we could count the children of reawakened cryosleepers as "non-BoBs" racially, even if they were still technically born on board. But that still leaves us with the problem of how you are 15, if your parents were in cryosleep the whole trip.

(I had a similar, kind of opposite problem with Summer: initially I had conceived her as being 25, an early graduate with a fresh PhD and a thesis on abiogenesis which really impressed the people putting together the Marathon crew roster, earning her a place on board. Then I realized, the Marathon's been at Tau Ceti for seven years now, so she's got to be at least 32 by now).

I suppose we could have it so that your parents, being navigators (at least one of them; who's the other, if not a Bob?), came out of cryosleep some years early to make sure the ship didn't miss Tau Ceti by a few lightyears; "last minute" course-corrections. There's a bit of a question as to why the ship's navigators would be in cryosleep to begin with (makes more sense that that's the kind of job the Bobs would be doing), but I suppose that can be handwaved easily enough.
Samson's parents were never in cryosleep, if you remember my very first post (it's on page 3).

I thought the BoBs were clones. Bloops. So yeah, Euthydemus is a BoB, technically. :P
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I don't see anything in your first post specifically about your parents being in cryosleep or not.

But yeah, BoBs are just the guys born on the 300-year trip from Earth to Tau Ceti, as opposed to the ones that got frozen in stasis for the trip. So if you and your family are like that, then you're just BoBs, and there's no problem.

Well, except that BoBs shouldn't often be blonde-haired and blue-eyed, since they're all a weird race mix of a small population of diverse people interbreeding over the past 300 years. Maybe mix it up a bit; you've got darkish skin, but blonde hair and blue eyes? Some weird mix of phenotypes not common amongst normal Earth humans.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Wait- dark skin? I thought I made it clear that he was pretty pallid in my story posts, being near to death so many times. But yeah, so in summary, pale skinned, 15-year-old Caucasian BoB male, with dark blonde hair, blue eyes; medium-height.

TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Huh, I always thought the colony had been there for 17 years. dur
Marathoner325
Cyborg

According to the Story Page timeline:
2773- Marathon arrives at Tau Ceti
2787- Colony on Tau Ceti established
2794- Marathon attacked
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:Wait- dark skin? I thought I made it clear that he was pretty pallid in my story posts, being near to death so many times. But yeah, so in summary, pale skinned, 15-year-old Caucasian BoB male, with dark blonde hair, blue eyes; medium-height.
I wasn't asking or implying that you do have dark skin, I'm suggesting that you should. I'm critiquing your character design, because there is no such thing as a Caucasian BoB, unless your ancestors for the past 300 years have all been racists and you're now (probably) horribly inbred. Imagine you take a population about as large and diverse as say, the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area (from memory, about 1 million people, with no single racial majority), seal them all in a can, and throw it into space, and then track them down 300 years later. There's not going to be much in the way of races by the time you're done, 15ish generations of interbreeding later. Any random person has a good chance of having ancestors who were hispanic, asian, black, white, you name it, somewhere in that time.

Assuming a generation of about 20 years (e.g. people have kids on average around the age of 20), the only way to get a person of a single race out of it without inbreeding is if 2^15 people of the same race (that's about 33 thousand people, 3% of the population, or about 1/8th of the race, assuming one million people in an even four-way racial division) all decided not to have any kids with people of any other race, and so did at least one of each of their kids, and at least one of each of their kids, and at least one of each of their kids, for the next 15ish generations, to finally produce one pureblooded kid. (And possibly other pureblooded kids too, but to get at least one requires this process). Anything less than that, and you're going to have to have some degree of inbreeding in order to to have a pureblood of any race.

So, your choice. Either Euthydemus comes from a long proud line of racists and is probably inbred to some extent, or he's not Caucasian (or any other Earth race). I was suggesting having darker skin as a way of mixing up his racial phenotypes; though really, the hair and eye color would be lost more quickly than the skin color, since they're both recessive.

Also: shitfuck, I forgot about the 10 years the ship was hovering around before the colony was established. Now I've got the tough choice of either coming up with some excuse why Summer would have been kept in cryo until the colony was established (which would be really improbable, since xenobiological research would likely be done during terraforming, especially since her specialty is abiogenesis), or making her some kind of genius kid savant who did her impressive PhD thesis and got accepted onto the crew of the Marathon at the age of 15 instead of 25 (again, a real stretch), or making her at least 42 instead of at least 32 (which I really don't want to do).

I guess I could mix and match, say she finished her PhD at more like 22, was awoken a few years after the ship arrived as her services weren't needed until the bigger-scale environmental engineering was finished, and is now around 35. I guess I'll have to do that...
Dugit
Vidmaster

It could happen. Maybe he has a phenotype-concerning autosomal dominant from all this inbreeding. :)

Paul
Cyborg

Whenever you're ready, Harley. :P
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Dugit, there's only wasps outside. Wasps don't shoot grenades (and aren't armored, and you probably couldn't tell if they landed on their backs or not).
CryoS
Vidmaster

also, why shoot? the idea was to keep quiet not to attract them :C
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

CryoS wrote:so jackson is a cyborg with a shotgun welded to his metallic hand?

neat.
Yes.

EDIT:

I'm 12, what is this?
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Nov 5th '10, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:Dugit, there's only wasps outside. Wasps don't shoot grenades (and aren't armored, and you probably couldn't tell if they landed on their backs or not).
I just wanted Euthydemus to die in style. :)