EFM OOC/Support

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:I just wanted Euthydemus to die in style. :)
I guess he could punch a hunter and be caught in the explosion. That would be a suitably badass way to die, would it not?
Marathoner325
Cyborg

CryoS wrote:also, why shoot? the idea was to keep quiet not to attract them :C
I just tried to get the scene going before I went to School today, since everyone was waiting on me to do something with the wasps outside. I probably should have put some more effort into it, though. :/
CryoS
Vidmaster

i whought we were going to take some time to plan future events. now that everyone was together.

oh well.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:I just wanted Euthydemus to die in style. :)
That's all well and good, but you still need to fix your post. And then maybe roll a character who isn't some anticanonical abomination. (I vote we pretend all that stuff about whatever weird pseudo-simulacrum stuff your earlier posts had in them didn't really happen; poor Euthydemus dreamt it all or something. Posts are described from an in-character point of view, so we can come up with something else that he could have misinterpreted as what you've described earlier. But one way or another, he's just a severely injured and horribly traumatized little boy).

Here, I'll help with the FTFY:
Dugit wrote:The thunder of Harely's assault rifle screamed across the room, slamming repeatedly in and through the disintegrating barricade. One of the less-well armored aliens creatures stumbled and flailed in the metallic shower, falling awkwardly onto into the ruins of the barricade, flinching briefly as it came to rest on its back. As The intruders creatures began to return fire. As a grenade roared madly inches from his ear, the youth's world of invisible spectation melted as he descended back into the real world. He had still not taken cover, having only just emerged from his semi-conscious trance of deep, deep dread.

He fell deliberately backwards, since getting down carefully would be slower and more painful on his brittle bones. He landed on a clean plane of floor. Good. As he rolled lazily behind a crate, he felt for the first time in a while, the pulsating, incessant agony that plagued his body. He felt for it. His hand came to rest on his abdomen; his fingertips found a growing exudation of warm blood, and at its center, a cold, metallic tip that protested with the screaming anger that only pain could provide.

But however hard the youth tried to feel the pain, to feel something for once, the irreverent numbness provided a deafness to this scream. He lay on his back, eyes fixed on some unknown point on the ceiling. He felt for every heartbeat.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Hueqort
Cyborg

This looks very enjoyable, are there any prerequisites, or can I just start shooting?
Just keep running, just keep shooting, just keep droppin' 'em dead.
Just keep going, just keep moving, just keep pumping that lead!
- Sung to the tune 'Aint we got fun?' by Van and Schneck 1921

Argh, I'm bored.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

I'd suggest running your character concept / introduction by us here before posting in the main thread, so we can check if there's anything wrong with it before it's made "real", but other than that, you're welcome to join in.
Hueqort
Cyborg

Ok well my dudes name is Loit, he's a fine fellow who gets pretty sarcastic during fire fights. He enjoys good company, and witty humor. However he has little patience for total morons, and has difficulty caring about things that don't effect him directly. Much less does he remember anything he finds unimportant. He has a somewhat morbid fascination with the flechett gun, but often complains about the lack of ammunition.
If magnums, shotguns, or flechett guns not present he will resort to beating his quarry to death, with some notable glee of course.
He also thinks Pfhor fighters are inexplicably stupid.

I assume were all cyborgs?
Last edited by Hueqort on Nov 8th '10, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

Argh, I'm bored.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

There's no flechette gun on the Marathon.

Also, NONE OF US are cyborgs, except Jackson, but he's still not a mjolnir.

Additionally, please, try not to make your character TOO much of a dick, OK?
Hueqort
Cyborg

I'm not a dick, I'm quite like able. [MOh] Wait you hate sarcasm? [MGrin]

Also the flechette gun is known as the SMG to some people. The KKV-7 10mm SMG Flechette to be exact. [1337]
Last edited by Hueqort on Nov 8th '10, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

Argh, I'm bored.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Yes, none of us are cyborgs, except Jackson with his robotic limbs and even that I would have suggested against if I knew about it ahead of time.

That's probably the #1 thing to remember about this: none of us are awesome enough that the player-character from the original game ever heard of us or anything we did. (Though I'm trying to steer some of our exploits to reflect things Leela told the SO some Bobs were up to, e.g. studies done on the aliens; that's why I made Summer a xenobiologist). Most of us are literally Bobs: bear in mind that means we're generally shortish, darkish people of no identifiable Earth-race. Some of us apparently have uncommon features for Bobs (hair and eye color). Summer, my character, is originally from Earth, and IIRC one other character mentioned so far was from Mars, but aside from that we're all Bobs. We're nobodies. A single trooper is a big threat to all of us together.

The idea is to differentiate yourself through character and writing, not because you're a huge bad-ass laying waste to hordes of aliens. So: your character is sarcastic and gruff, likes guns, and apparently has been in fire fights. Who is he that would make him such? What does he do for a living? The first thing that comes to my mind is a military police chief. Which raises the question, how much of a military is there really, amongst this tiny population, with no rival nations anywhere for light-years to be fighting? Given that, I would think the best explanation for the character traits you describe is a regular policeman, a security guard like CryoS' character Simon, but with delusions of grandeur. Someone fascinated with military history who has always wished he could be a soldier out on the battlefield... too bad there are no battles and no soldiers out here in the ass end of space. But now, ho ho! Alien invasion! This is his chance to show them all his mettle!

But he's still a Bob. He's not the Security Officer, the 10th Mjolnir Mk IV cyborg, trotting defiantly over the dead remains of alien hordes. He's just a security officer, a Bob, a glorified rent-a-cop, really. But, maybe you can find some way to make him a hero anyway.

The next question is, how are you going to introduce him into the story? I think it would be a bad idea to have everyone suddenly converge on the med bay where we are right now, so coincidentally. We need time to sort out some story stuff back here by ourselves; the three newcomers are already sort of compressing things enough as it is. So I'd suggest maybe you start off somewhere else, start writing a bit of a lone hero story for yourself, and then over time we can all run into you or vice versa somehow.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Prof.Hueqort wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm quite like able. [MOh] Wait you hate sarcasm? [MGrin]
Also the flechette gun is known as the SMG to some people. The KKV-7 10mm SMG Flechette to be exact. [1337]
No, I just say the large dick potential.
Paul
Cyborg

The flechette gun is not even in existence at this point in the Marathon timeline.
Hueqort
Cyborg

Um pfhorapedia is very wrong when it says the flechett was introduced in infinity. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in both A1 and Durandal. However I not only never completed A1, but I also never actually found a way to get to the teaser room where the SMG was stored. [MFrown]

However it does exist in A1, I'm pretty sure. [MOh]

---------------------------------------------

But besides that, it's not unreasonable for a character like mine to exist and at the same time served in combat. Remember that the creation of the Marathon and simialer vessels was an over-priced and time consuming process. It caused major depression on both Earth and Mars, I think there were some implications of a coup but I'm not sure. Also if you've several hundered people in one space, no matter how big it may seem to be, it eventually becomes very small for everyone. I think a security guard, even a rent-a-cop, would find more than enough work on a daily basis.
I mean think of how long it takes the ship to go from one planet to the next. Lelas warning message to earth took ninety-eight years to reach earth. At the very least there'll be three generations of people who've lived on the Marathon, by the time it reaches its destination. The original crew is either retired, dead, or entombed in cryo-stasis and long forgotten.

Tell me there wont be unrest.
Last edited by Hueqort on Nov 8th '10, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Argh, I'm bored.
goran
Vidmaster

Prof.Hueqort wrote:Um pfhorapedia is very wrong when it says the flechett was introduced in infinity. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in both A1 and Durandal. However I not only never completed A1, but I also never actually found a way to get to the teaser room where the SMG was stored. [MFrown]
However it does exist in A1, I'm pretty sure. [MOh]
Pfhorpedia is very right on that remark. You on the contrary, are very wrong.

I've supplied a little timeline for you:

1994 Marathon 1
1995 Marathon 2
1997 Marathon Infinity <---Flechett was introduced
1999 Marathon 2 source code was released
1999 AlephOne
2002 M1A1, a port of Marathon 1 to AlephOne.
Last edited by goran on Nov 8th '10, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Prof.Hueqort wrote:I also never actually found a way to get to the teaser room where the SMG was stored.
I assume you mean the secret room in Poor Yorick. Since it's quite a well known secret anyway...

Look just in to the right of the top-center of the map.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Prof.Hueqort wrote:But besides that, it's not unreasonable for a character like mine to exist and at the same time served in combat. Remember that the creation of the Marathon and simialer vessels was an over-priced and time consuming process. It caused major depression on both Earth and Mars, I think there were some implications of a coup but I'm not sure. Also if you've several hundered people in one space, no matter how big it may seem to be, it eventually becomes very small for everyone. I think a security guard, even a rent-a-cop, would find more than enough work on a daily basis.
I mean think of how long it takes the ship to go from one planet to the next. Lelas warning message to earth took ninety-eight years to reach earth. At the very least there'll be three generations of people who've lived on the Marathon, by the time it reaches its destination. The original crew is either retired, dead, or entombed in cryo-stasis and long forgotten.

Tell me there wont be unrest.
You are correct that there was a coup on Mars and lots of general martial unrest around the time the Marathon was launched. However, that was three hundred years ago. (The 92 [not 98] years was for a lightspeed radio message; Marathon moves at only a fraction of lightspeed). That's closer to fifteen generations than to three. Like you said, all the original crew are dead or were in cryostasis (now that the ship has reached it's destination they'd all have been awakened). So nobody who served in those wars during the launch is going to be around these days, except for the few people important enough to have been put in stasis, and we're not that important.

And you are again correct that the police / security forces will certainly have plenty of work keeping the peace on board. My point is that that is a very different kind of work from full on regular warfare. A cop is rarely if ever going to have need for an SMG or anything close to that. Unless there was a full-on mutiny on the Marathon, it's doubtful anyone would ever need anything fully automatic at all. Now, that doesn't mean there aren't firing ranges where people who like guns for guns' sakes can go and play with them, which your character might have done.

Regarding the SMG in particular, to everyone who keeps saying that it didn't exist before Infinity: just because it wasn't featured in game doesn't mean it wasn't around somewhere in the fictional world. You think Durandal just designed an SMG for you ex nihlo in the middle of Infinity? He probably just pulled the schematics for it like he did for the shotguns in M2. So it very well could have been lying around as an aficionado's toy on the Marathon. (So could that awesome chaingun depicted in a bunch of the M2 chapter screens that we never get to play with in-game).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Nov 8th '10, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
treellama
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:Regarding the SMG in particular, to everyone who keeps saying that it didn't exist before Infinity: just because it wasn't featured in game doesn't mean it wasn't around somewhere in the fictional world. You think Durandal just designed an SMG for you ex nihlo in the middle of Infinity? He probably just pulled the schematics for it like he did for the shotguns in M2. So it very well could have been lying around as an aficionado's toy on the Marathon. (So could that awesome chaingun depicted in a bunch of the M2 chapter screens that we never get to play with in-game).
Are you suggesting that anything not specifically forbidden by canon is therefore allowed by canon? Because, oh boy, have fun with your RPG if that is the case.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Generally speaking, yes, at least weapon-wise. Certainly the five human guns we use in the first Marathon game were not the only five weapons around on the entire UESC Marathon or Tau Ceti colony. I figure anything humans of their tech level might reasonably have had lying around (i.e. at least what modern humans might have lying around) is at least a possibility.

Now, as to why your character would have access to that RPG (technically the SPNKR is an RPG, isn't it?), that's something that needs an explanation in writing.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Nov 8th '10, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Pfhorrest wrote:Generally speaking, yes, at least weapon-wise. Certainly the five human guns we use in the first Marathon game were not the only five weapons around on the entire UESC Marathon or Tau Ceti colony. I figure anything humans of their tech level might reasonably have had lying around (i.e. at least what modern humans might have lying around) is at least a possibility.

Now, as to why your character would have access to that RPG (technically the SPNKR is an RPG, isn't it?), that's something that needs an explanation in writing.
Yeah, but shouldn't we stay within M1 ONLY? Maybe Thoth will join Durandal for some tea and we'll all have a good time.
Hueqort
Cyborg

Well how advanced are human armaments at this point? It's possible that a prototype of the flechett gun was made in M1, albiet a weapon not quite complete mind you. Couldn't we even have different types of bullets? Like slugs in comparison to buckshot? Or do shotgun shells shoot slug-shot in marathon? Cause those things go through hunter armor with no problem.

And I found the flechett gun myself in Poor Yorick, a long time before I discovered the maps online.

Argh, I'm bored.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Prof.Hueqort wrote:Well how advanced are human armaments at this point? It's possible that a prototype of the flechett gun was made in M1, albiet a weapon not quite complete mind you. Couldn't we even have different types of bullets? Like slugs in comparison to buckshot? Or do shotgun shells shoot slug-shot in marathon? Cause those things go through hunter armor with no problem.
And I found the flechett gun myself in Poor Yorick, a long time before I discovered the maps online.
There was no Shotgun in M1.

We could just use the old insurgent shotguns, I suppose, if one of us finds it by chance.
Hueqort
Cyborg

If I'm a security officer I'll have a pretty good recollection where confiscated weaponry went.

Argh, I'm bored.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

TectonInd wrote:Yeah, but shouldn't we stay within M1 ONLY? Maybe Thoth will join Durandal for some tea and we'll all have a good time.
You seem to have missed my point entirely.

Any human weapons which showed up during M2 or Infinity (namely, the shotguns and the SMGs) were necessary weapons that the humans on the Marathon had, because that's the only contact with humanity that the player-character and his cohort (e.g. Durandal and the Bobs) have had in hundreds of years.

So it's not like shotguns and SMGs were suddenly invented in between the games. It's just that the player-character never happened upon them in earlier games. In fact, IIRC Durandal explicitly says that the shotguns were a neat design he found in the Marathon's databanks and had the S'pht build for you. I don't think it's ever mentioned where the SMG came from, but presumably it's a similar source.

And then there's the chaingun which the player-character canonically has at Lh'owon (we see him using it in chapter screens!), but we never get to use in-game.

So yeah, we should stay within M1 only as far as the game events go. But things which would plausibly have been on the Marathon during M1 count as that. There's a difference between what we run across in the games and what exists in the game-world during the time period of each game. If we were to go strictly by what the player-character runs across in each game, then none of our characters or what we're doing would exist, since it's not like Leela ever talks about us to big Mr. Mjolnir Mk IV. Our limits are what is plausible within the setting established for the games; beyond that, we can, and by the nature of this must, postulate things that were not seen in the games, but might have existed or occurred anyway.

Oh, and as for insurgent shotguns: the weapons hidden by the Martian insurgency on the Marathon, what with being hidden, necessarily would not have been confiscated by the UESC security forces on board. However, this talk of insurgency does bring up an interesting thought: that is a good reason why heavy weapons may have been brought on board, just like why the Mjolnirs were brought on board. I'm very tempted to say it would be OK for you to be another cryosleeper, if it would allow you to be one of Strauss's insurgents, involved in whatever coup he was planning. However, that would be a very tricky role to play, and I don't know how good it would be for a newcomer to take on something so important and challenging. First of all, we'd have to come up with thoughts on what the insurgency plans were, and how an insurgent would react to the Pfhor invasion (I mean, any differently than anyone else would). It's a very tempting thought, but maybe not the best idea...
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Nov 9th '10, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Wasabi
Born on Board

I just want everyones opinion on this. Is the pfhor plasma pistol I made up realistic. Because I am planning on having it destroyed after the fight.
wasabi?
Hueqort
Cyborg

I um... I never completed A1 so I don't know who Strauss is... I only saw Durandal mention him in Rubicon, and it was a rather odd series of implications.
I'm still such a noob aren't I?

Still on the other hand I could have been a mid-level security agent and therefore aware of the only the confiscated weaponry. Seeing as a Captain is the same as a military dictator, just increase the size of the ship. So basically forced entries and the taking of civilian property for the benefit of the mother-vessel isn't so improbable.
Last edited by Hueqort on Nov 9th '10, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Argh, I'm bored.