EFM OOC/Support

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Once upon a time, in Eternal, there was a terminal (out-of-character meant as a sort of "these are the weird things about Marathon vs other FPSs" intro for new players, but in-character as Hathor explaining some things to you) which explained a recently understood bizarre and unexpected interaction that occurs when a Jjaro Cybernetic Junction gets pattern-buffed.

In essence, the Junction "identifies" with the surviving host moving on into the future, and with the copy-in-the-making of itself at the moment of the pattern buffing, like an anchor in spacetime. When one timeline's branch of that Junction ceases operation, the data therefrom -- containing, amongst other things, it's host's consciousness, if any -- is transferred back to the instant the pattern was buffed. The effect on the receiving host (in the past, at the moment of buffing the pattern) is basically the implantation of memories of things which have yet to occur from his possible-future self, causing apparent prescience and severe deja-vu.

It's assumed that pattern buffers are normally there for basically making backups of oneself, but that alone doesn't explain how it would have the up-to-date backups of a dead future version of yourself, and overwrite your mind at the moment of buffing with that version's mind, which would be necessary for the effects observed in-game.

But I decided the prologue level had enough reading as it was, and nobody completely new to Marathon would be playing Eternal first, so using an explanation of Marathon's weird checkpoint system as an excuse to go off on that fanwank explanation just seemed... fanwanky.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Nov 25th '10, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

CryoS, we've already established that the cafeteria/food court/mess hall for this promenade is on the far other side of it, so maybe you should make the cafeteria thing you found in your post into a specialty food store of some kind instead (something that wouldn't necessarily be in the cafeteria; like a cheese shop or a bakery or a health food shop or something like that).
CryoS
Vidmaster

roger

EDIT: better?
Last edited by CryoS on Nov 26th '10, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

It still describes the place you're in as the food court, which I've been treating as synonymous to the cafeteria. But I guess maybe this big mall could have the main cafeteria / food court on one end and some smaller little cafe thing on this end that you might call a food court. Meh, whatever.
Hueqort
Cyborg

I'm still alive, yes? Also Pfhorrest; I've a question regarding future events.
Just keep running, just keep shooting, just keep droppin' 'em dead.
Just keep going, just keep moving, just keep pumping that lead!
- Sung to the tune 'Aint we got fun?' by Van and Schneck 1921

Argh, I'm bored.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

I made a quick edit to one of my posts explaining my irrational behavior a bit. Pfhorrest, thanks for your previous post in the main topic.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Hey effigy, couple questions.

What kinds of alien weapons are you carrying? Two staves, or a staff and a trooper rifle, or what?

When in the story (relative to other people) are you emerging from the records room, and is your "where did everybody go" just in reference to the food-gathering party? I.e. Summer and Harley and Gerald are still there in your post, and you're asking us about everyone else?
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Pfhorrest wrote:Hey effigy, couple questions.

What kinds of alien weapons are you carrying? Two staves, or a staff and a trooper rifle, or what?
They are staves. I started off basing my contributions a bit too close to game play, I guess. The idea was that they were berserkers, and even though I've never seen 2 fighters eliminate each other simultaneously, that was my out for creating a chase or battle scene.

Here's a refresher from my 1st post:
effigy wrote:...
after returning to the Medbay with a fresh coffee just in time to witness his nurse's deathblow from an over-sized insect's bludgeon, and to then watch that alien and another beat each other to death he decided he needed something to take the edge off.
When in the story (relative to other people) are you emerging from the records room,
I thought the end of my post should bring my character to current goings-on, but whatever time is convenient works.
effigy wrote: ...
A few moments after the last assault rifle round sounded MacLeary decided he should go check on the boy he had left on the table. ...
and is your "where did everybody go" just in reference to the food-gathering party? I.e. Summer and Harley and Gerald are still there in your post, and you're asking us about everyone else?
Yes. Also, the "heap of bloody flesh" is a reference to The Youth.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Pfhorrest wrote:"Where have you been?" Summer accusingly asked in return. Noticing Harley's still-injured ear, she added "Why isn't he patched up yet?" Slipping into a ranting tone, she continued "I just engineered antibodies to two completely different, entirely-alien pathogens I've never seen before, while suffering their symptoms, on 36 hours of sleep deprivation. What the hell have you been doing all this time? You can't put a couple stitches in a man!?"
Boom. Headshot.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

So... Dugit's character is still an explod'a'bob?
Last edited by effigy on Dec 11th '10, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I don't think so. Heck, I think I may have lost track.

I think it's best that he isn't.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yeah, I don't he should be either. I think there's a number of posts in this tread that agree, also. I got impression from your last post that you were communicating with the captive pfhor telepathically (eg. part of the hive mind) is why I ask.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

Yeah, I think we should write off all the weird stuff that the Euth went through as a trauma-induced hallucination or something. He's just some poor kid that's been through hell.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

...we don't don't no water let the mother heehaw burn...
Paul
Cyborg

Note that I'm still referring to Marty as "Doc" partially because Gerald has made a habit of it and the fact that he doesn't think of the doctor as part of the group as he's hardly conversed with him.
Hueqort
Cyborg

*eats popcorn*
Just keep running, just keep shooting, just keep droppin' 'em dead.
Just keep going, just keep moving, just keep pumping that lead!
- Sung to the tune 'Aint we got fun?' by Van and Schneck 1921

Argh, I'm bored.
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Prof.Hueqort wrote:*eats popcorn*
Can I have some?
Paul
Cyborg

Can I have some (effigy posting)?
Dis
Mjolnir Mark IV

I was originally gonna write my character back into the story with the attack on the promenade. I been sort of...away... from this forum and thread for about a month though, and obviously missed the chance. Since, at least as far as I can tell, there may be a second wave coming (you've got that "shit's about to fall to pieces" eerie silence going) I could come back in there, or even set the event in motion.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x.style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x.innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Paul wrote:Can I have some (effigy posting)?
Hope you don't mind it's low sodium, and no butter.
Paul
Cyborg

Delicious.
Paul
Cyborg

Dugit, we've got some god-moding in that last post of yours.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Fixed.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

So, uh, I'm kind of confused. What happened to the supply-gathering party?
Paul
Cyborg

It seems that any group you're with that's near a food place dies off in activity.

this is all your fault