Eye Implants?

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Tybo
Cyborg

What's the use of the mechanic eye that the BoBs use? If it's just night or thermal vision, then why is it implanted? Why would a civilian need all of that stuff.. IMPLANTED?
And why doesn't Vid have one if it's sooo useful that they equip every BoB with it... if he's a cyborg his builders could have implanted him one too, no? But they didn't.

And why does the final screen say
A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. ?
That one got me confused. Maybe his 'builders' used some kick-ass alien S'pht technology they found on Tau Ceti (wherever) on Vid? Hmmm..?

Oh, hi by the way [MLaugh]
Last edited by Tybo on Jul 6th '06, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Destroyer E

Welcome! I'm guessing you never played the first Marathon. If so, this post is filled with spoilers.

***Stop reading now if so.***

The implants were placed in by the Pfhor when they captured the BOBs during the first Marathon and took them onto the Boomer (or whatever it was named before that) for enslavement. I would assume they consist of some sort of mind control, much like what happened to the S'pht when they were enslaved by the Pfhor. The eye implant could have been a camera for the Pfhor to see what the BOB was seeing, or it could have been a method of giving visual orders.

The Vid was never captured by the Pfhor. Durandal took him after Marathon 1, and kept him unconscious as he freed the BOBs going into enslavement. Since the Pfhor from the Boomer were all destroyed by then, they couldn't implant it, and there would be no need for it.
Last edited by Destroyer E on Jul 12th '06, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Tybo
Cyborg

True, I've only finished Infinity (I'm a Vidmaster thanks to some lame rocketjumping, whaha) and a large part of M2 until now...
Now I'm stuck in M1's Burn Money (2) because the hole where the 3rd keycard and the finishing terminal is located (next to the 5-sided elevator) is a wee bit too narrow to get through. Maybe it's a bug in Aleph One? I've even tried a bloody walkthrough...

Oh, I didn't know those implants were placed by the Pfhor. Why do they keep those implants then? It must have some kind of benefit. And the BoB's look so damn comfy wearing it. Or are those implants simply too dangereous to remove :|

Probably Bungie just thought it looks cool.
FF Shinobi

Where does it say the implants are from the Pfor? I thought Durandal gave them to the bobs. The player doesn't need one becuase He has a big ol' helmet that tells him things. The cyborgs parts may just be researched without understanding them (ref. Jurassic Park, the book). Many speculate that they may be jarro parts too.
Last edited by FF Shinobi on Jul 7th '06, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
Tybo
Cyborg

That would explain a lot: Vid's builders found Jjaro parts, DNA, machines, whatever, on Tau Ceti (http://marathon.bungie.org/story/maptext.html) and used those on the cyborg. That would also explain why Vid is that important for the AI's.
If the AI's thought that Vid was just a human (or a human with some robotic parts and genetic manipulation, or even just a robot without human and emotional intelligence), they wouldn't give him that much responsibility in the end.

I say Vid is God.
shongshong
Vidmaster

that would be retarded if every single bob civilian out there was captured and operated on,and sent back. I bet its just a simple way of eye combat enhancements. Like... my science teacher from 8th grade got lazer lasik' eye surgeory on one eye to be far sided and the other one near sided. and suposivly his brain compinsated with the differences and he can see quite well far and close,

since it is the future, eye technology should be easy, especialy for the men in combat
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
Bridget
Mjolnir Mark IV

tybo wrote: That would explain a lot: Vid's builders found Jjaro parts, DNA, machines, whatever, on Tau Ceti (http://marathon.bungie.org/story/maptext.html) and used those on the cyborg. That would also explain why Vid is that important for the AI's.
The battleriods were created hundreds of years earlier, but its possible that Jjarro technology discovered elswhere led to their creation. Or they could have been upgraded along the way, as new artifacts were discovered. Would help explain why the UESC was so interested in Tau Ceti in the first place.

It didn't seem like the AIs (at least not Durandal) knew anything about the Jjarro until the S'pht told them. Perhaps any info on them the UESC had was extra-classified.
Alan wrote:QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM) Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

do any of you thing the eye-implants could be utilized like VID's bio-bus unit?
Like could BOB's have EXTRAVISION or wutever?
Tybo
Cyborg

I still think it's night/infrared vision. Or maybe it's some kind of a crosshair: it might be connected (wireless, duh) to the "scope" on their pistol so they can shoot extra accurate [MWuh]
Last edited by Tybo on Jul 12th '06, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

No wonder the BOBs are so screwed up in the head. They have a constant Extravision feed directly to the brain.
LOOKIT' ALL THE COLORS!!!
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
Tybo
Cyborg

Not constant, only when in combat: in M1 when you have to save the BoBs (first time) they don't use the eye-"thingies" yet... and they don't carry weapons either.
Last edited by Tybo on Jul 12th '06, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

thats cause ther were idiots... everyone venturing into space should carry some kinda weapon
assassingao
Vidmaster

If you were right, bobs will become more insane than simulacrums

-------------

"Lookin' at all those colors, I remembered that I didn't smoke any pots, and my vision is zoomed too! What the hell is going on with me!?!? AHHHHHH! Impossible! I AM DREAMING!!!"

*That bob slapped himself with the pistol, but he slapped so hard that his eye implants were freed from his skull along with some parts of his face*

*He died from blood loss*

------------

Great job, eh?
Destroyer E

Alright, here's a little info about the BOBs. Direct from the story page.

Code: Select all

There were many humans in stasis on the
Pfhor ship which the S'pht and I captured
at Tau Ceti, destined for slavery in the
Pfhor Empire. When I saw the colony was
about to be destroyed, I did not restore
them before we left. I also realized they
might become useful.

I have been reviving these colonists and
asking for volunteers on the following
terms: assist us and control your own
destiny, refuse and face indefinite return
to the unreliable Pfhor stasis chambers.

Few are refusing.
It's hard to tell from this. They were the BOBs that were going to be enslaved, but it doesn't say where they got the implants. I'm guessing the Pfhor stuck 'em in while they were in stasis. Really, I don't think I'd want to be awake for that procedure. I don't think Durandal is responsible for it because he later says:

Code: Select all

I can barely tolerate humans: slow, stupid,
and irritating. Their only contribution to
my existence was the chance discovery that
made my rampancy possible. 
I think the S'pht did it while they were still under the control of the Pfhor, replicating the same control they had. Unfortunately for the Pfhor, they didn't have time to make an über Pfhor thing that controlled the humans (like the one that controlled the S'pht). The S'pht also replicated the Magnum and gave it to the BOBs, but that was an order from Durandal.

That's just my perspective.
Last edited by Destroyer E on Jul 12th '06, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
LegacyTyphoon
Vidmaster

Sph't: Lets give these humans these spectacle thingies...perhaps we can toy with their vision later.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
Destroyer E

Grayswandir wrote: Sph't: Lets give these humans these spectacle thingies...perhaps we can toy with their vision later.
Under the orders of the Pfhor to create mind control with some sort of visual complement.
xyfbzi
Vidmaster

i'm pretty sure they can see out of them. How could they be so accurate with no depth perception? Logically, they can see out of 2 eyes.
probably they're cameras that go directly to the brain. If the bob gets an infravision or extravision, the eyepiece makes it work.

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
Dieselfame3
Vidmaster

anyone who can pull of the "wearing of a spectacle thingie" is BA in my books.....yep right up there with the monopoly guy and some WWI german bi-plane pilots.
Coraxus
Cyborg

Hmm, well this is the way I interpret behind the origin. My guess like most others is that they're are of Pfhor origin, hence the pic Destroyer E posted in which you notice Pfhor language in the diagram. Supposedly, the Pfhor were developing the stages of making such surgical operations on the freshly captured humans. Now it could be that perhaps a handfew of humans compared to the rest of the captured ones had the early implants installed already during the development stage of the operations. I say a handful because if you remember upon exploring the scoutship for the first time, every human you ever encountered, including those in stasis and those lying unconcious on the table did not have those eye implants (it also supports why Durandal said "No human has ever seen", because even though the humans were captured, they were put in isolated areas and most of them unconcious.). I suspect the Pfhor were just beginning to do the implant operation when Durandal started wreaking havoc, such as freeing the S'phts and using the player to do his biddings. After capturing the Pfhor ship along with the freed S'pht, he happened to discover the operation and the eye implant developments. To him they seemed useful and thus he probably continued this operation with the help of the S'pht where the Pfhor left off. Of course, any humans who chose to volunteered would have required to receive such implant surgical operations. Durandal may have modified the designs a bit from the Pfhor's original design, to be used more for combat situations.
Gorfiend

I always thought that Durandal equiped all the humans with eye implants so that he could have a link with them. It would give him a visual on everything they did, and also allow him to communicate with them. I think this is supported somewhere in the Story page or some other place, but I'm not sure.

And no, I doubt that the BoBs could use infravision/extravision, because the SO has an interface port to place those in, so unless the implants were made with something like that, then they would not be able to use the powerups.
oteito
Vidmaster

"CODE:I can barely tolerate humans: slow, stupid,
and irritating. Their only contribution to
my existence was the chance discovery that
made my rampancy possible. " chance discovery? what is durandal talkin' about?
LOL
Major Pedro
Cyborg

tybo wrote:What's the use of the mechanic eye that the BoBs use? If it's just night or thermal vision, then why is it implanted? Why would a civilian need all of that stuff.. IMPLANTED?
And why doesn't Vid have one if it's sooo useful that they equip every BoB with it... if he's a cyborg his builders could have implanted him one too, no? But they didn't.
And why does the final screen say
A man long dead, grafted to machines your builders did not understand. ?
That one got me confused. Maybe his 'builders' used some kick-ass alien S'pht technology they found on Tau Ceti (wherever) on Vid? Hmmm..?
Oh, hi by the way [MLaugh]

The Implant is a Neuro-Iconic Display- Sort of like a HUD, but superimposed over the regular vision. They were brought from earth by the colonists, and implanted when the BoB finished puberty, so as to not interrupt neural development.

It would be a multi-purpose device, doing such things as providing medical diagnostics, biochemistry regulation, providing stimulants, verbal, text, data and visual communication, also providing targets and tactical information for armed BoBs. It would probably be able to connect to a network and function like a normal computer.

The final screen refers to the Human grafting of the marine into the Jjaro cybernetic junction.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Massive Necro-bump is massive.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
Marathoner325
Cyborg

Major Pedro wrote:They were brought from earth by the colonists, and implanted when the BoB finished puberty, so as to not interrupt neural development.
Actually, the Bob's were implanted after the Marathon was attacked. In the first game the Bob's don't have eye implants but they do in the Marathon 2. (I'm not sure if it was implanted by the Pfhor when they took human prisoners, or By Durandal shortly before Marathon 2. I assume Durandal implanted them.)
Major Pedro
Cyborg

Marathoner325 wrote:Actually, the Bob's were implanted after the Marathon was attacked. In the first game the Bob's don't have eye implants but they do in the Marathon 2. (I'm not sure if it was implanted by the Pfhor when they took human prisoners, or By Durandal shortly before Marathon 2. I assume Durandal implanted them.)
They weren't implanted by the Pfhor. Perhaps as civilians recognized the need to fight the Pfhor they were equipped with tactical implants. Also I don't think the difference from M1 to M2 is chronological, but more a design fault. Bungie simply hadn't thought about them in M1.