Invisible Pattern Buffer

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
Coraxus
Cyborg

Can anyone explain this strange and mysterious origins behind this? If you don't know what I'm talking about, long ago, I happened to stumble on it by mistake but indeed there is an invisible pattern buffer near the beginning of Pfhoraphobia, a level in the first Marathon game.

*note that the wall I'm facing is where you'll find the pattern buffer.*
Attachments
buffer2.jpg
buffer2.jpg (78.41 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
buffer1.jpg
buffer1.jpg (112.43 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Lugas
Vidmaster

Are you in Marathon One or M1A1? If you're in M1A1, I don't know how they found the invisible pattern buffer. I think you're in M1A1 because the HUD is different from the one in Marathon One.

I've looked for the Terminal in Marathon One and I can't find it. Maybe it was added there just for the sake of it...
I dunno.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Hehe, I found that. Its probably just a secret m1a1 guys put in, cause m1 didnt have wafer walls. It saves ass btw.
Coraxus
Cyborg

Lugas wrote: Are you in Marathon One or M1A1? If you're in M1A1, I don't know how they found the invisible pattern buffer. I think you're in M1A1 because the HUD is different from the one in Marathon One.

I've looked for the Terminal in Marathon One and I can't find it. Maybe it was added there just for the sake of it...
I dunno.
I'm using the latest Aleph One build for the OSX, that's why the hud is different. But if you haven't noticed what I did to it, I modified the shield and oxygen bars only, while experimenting and learning the ropes of editing and customizing.
assassingao
Vidmaster

I'm quite certain that it's M1A1, because original marathon cannot be played anything else other than CLASSIC (Before os X.)
Lugas
Vidmaster

I believe in the orignal Marathon, there was no save terminal in Pfhoraphobia. This was added due to a bug in M1A1. This annoying bug didn't allow the player to teleport off the alien ship. The solution was to go to a checkpoint on the previous level and continue from there. It would work fine. This save terminal was added so that you could get off the last alien level.