after i 4got

For topics about the story, help in a certain level, game discussion, or finding/discussing content.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

a timely message from the bathroom of my favorite sushi place
Attachments
deny.jpg
deny.jpg (71.63 KiB) Viewed 3792 times
Ares Ex Machina
Mjolnir Mark IV

Escape will make you Lloyd. Better find that happy place.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on May 6th '11, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Pfhorrest
Vidmaster

screamingfool wrote:a timely message from the bathroom of my favorite sushi place
I'm pretty sure that's from Hedwig and the Angry Inch. The resemblance to Marathon is just coincidental. (Although in the movie that phrase it written next to an eyeball, but that symbol is distinctively Hedwigish too).
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
Director of the Xeventh Project, the team behind Eternal
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Switch
Vidmaster

Pfhorrest wrote:I'm pretty sure that's from Hedwig and the Angry Inch. The resemblance to Marathon is just coincidental. (Although in the movie that phrase it written next to an eyeball, but that symbol is distinctively Hedwigish too).
Heretic.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

Forrest, are you done with this year's run of rocky horror? Cause, if you need your arty tranny fix i think your next revision of eternal and it's 'everything that could be' cannon i'd like to hear hathor's explanation of hedwig's symbol and it's many connections to marathon lore. A four level vignette would be lovely.

In the spirit of my initial post, i've started replaying marathon 1 and want to use this thread to record how many secrets i remember without looking at the walkthrough. Mostly because i feel like it's a good measure of how much i've ingrained this game in myself. So essentially, the relevance of marathon past this point of 4getting. Let's see how long this lasts.

Obviously, here's no sense in rehashing ammo caches (unless i'm proven wrong at some point), bad secrets that would make me question 7emembering - like the infravision on bigger guns will have to be deftly skirted. If anyone cares to point out an important story terminal i've missed - i'd appreciate being filled in, but only if it's an important part of marathon for you. seriously. I'm not going to go back to any saved games unless i die, so how it drew you into the story would be as important or more-so than a recap. I know i could refer to the story page, and may if something is dense and worthwhile, but too much would defeat the purpose.

Arrival
While the begining of m1a1 is not a secret, it really should have been. if they felt a pathways connection had to be included. Almost 4got for that alone, partially since i had to do it a second time when i realized major damage is going to aid 7membering more than tc. I'm half-sure that you can change difficulties after saving, but not in the original game so it seems right to enforce ignorance here.

Never Burn Money
Sadly i'm not no3talgic about the deprivation chamber, i'm over the fact that things are different with the hard coded physics of aleph one. To be honest - i never found this one on my own back in the day. The terminal reminded me that m2's and infinity's poetic touches were as strong in m1 which i may have missed as a kid - Durandal's philosophical musings and chiding the player's joy of killing later made more of an impression to me at the time.

Defend THIS!
The terminals in this level are great, they even make the puzzles acceptable. Plus, the secrets on this level don't need 7membering, the term pics make sure you know your way out of the crusher and all else. At this point i've totally forgotten about interacting with tycho before his rampancy; so him warning you about D's collusion with the pfhor makes reading about types of doors worthwhile (once, but not this time through) and the foreshadowing it casts on the upcoming levels and after a compiler had hacked it for you to read is a great storytelling touch.

Couchfishing
The CRIST terminal makes the level title reference and ridiculous "ship" architecture acceptable.

The Rose
So far the most notable secrets have had great terminals, but my 12 year old self didn't relate with D's "i did it" in this level and makes me want to take pack my previous praise. Also, while reading about martian riots and hovertanks is interesting - it's odd that when bobs hide in secrets they spend their time accessing, without authorization, what is realistically not secure information. The bit about marathon being invulnerable to normal space attacks is cute. Bobs are more annoying than hulks in retrospect.

Napalm Chicken
I'm relieved every time i turn a corner in another damn tunnel after a bad puzzle and see a fighter instead of a fucking wasp. Why have third party games included those? Flamethrowers on the other hand are much better than having to be stuck in a room reading "vale" and having no no3talgia about that.

I think i played marathon through twice before m2 came out and once since. The sequel got the most play out of the series for me which makes my associations with the story here more interesting this time through and limits me to the most memorable parts of the game. In case i don't make any more notes or stop playing i want to put in a few strong memories. The first time i encountered an assimilated bob i was still trying to save every bob and was horrified to think that i'd accidentally let off a grenade on myself and an innocent. Sneaking around the pfhor ship and was captivating; it felt so belly of the beast to my adolescent mind. Fighting alongside the spht after liberating them was hugely gratifying, and being whisked away by durandal in the end had to sink in for a day.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

cool fusion
boring

g4 sunbathing
annoying
TectonInd
Mjolnir Mark IV

Am I the only one who likes G-4 Sunbathing?
Paul
Cyborg

I thought it was a decent level once I found the oxygen recharger and pattern buffer.
screamingfool
Mjolnir Mark IV

i don't think it's awful it's just only memorable because it's the first vacuum level you encounter. i mean the story is throwaway, the battles are boring and the layout has you looping back a lot.