MarathUp 1.0 now out

Questions about the content creation procedure go here, including using Forge, Anvil, or other editors, or operating emulators like Basilisk II.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

jessenator wrote:No Problem. I figure if we start contributing there'll be less gloom talk going around...
Yes, gloom and doom should be reserved for the aftermath of a good netgame.

I've been using ShapFusion to add texture sets to SketchUp, and that's going rather well. I export the bitmaps to /Material/MarathUp/Wallx/ and import them from there with MarathUp.

Warm apple pie.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Has anyone here had any communication with the MarathUp author? I emailed him about two weeks ago about the trouble I (and at least one other poster here) have been having with any Properties window check boxes under Windows.

I didn't expect an email with a solution the next day or anything like that, I'm just looking for conformation that the plugin is still under development, or that this is being looked into.

Are there any Windows users among us who do not have that problem with this plugin?
interion
Cyborg

effigy wrote:Has anyone here had any communication with the MarathUp author? I emailed him about two weeks ago about the trouble I (and at least one other poster here) have been having with any Properties window check boxes under Windows.

I didn't expect an email with a solution the next day or anything like that, I'm just looking for conformation that the plugin is still under development, or that this is being looked into.

Are there any Windows users among us who do not have that problem with this plugin?
It was almost 9 months between the only post about the plugin and your first reply. I think it's safe to say that development probably stopped sometime early last year. I'm not sure why there is such a sudden interest in the plugin. 76 posts in just the last few weeks. 1 post in all of 2008. I hope the problem was not that no one could open the archive with Windows.
Image Image
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tim wrote:It was almost 9 months between the only post about the plugin and your first reply. I think it's safe to say that development probably stopped sometime early last year. I'm not sure why there is such a sudden interest in the plugin. 76 posts in just the last few weeks. 1 post in all of 2008. I hope the problem was not that no one could open the archive with Windows.
I had the first reply here the day after I joined the Pfhorums. Perhaps there's only a handful of SketchUp users here.

I'm not sure what it's lacking compared to the other semi-available editors, but aside from the trouble I'm having with it the only short coming I see is that it doesn't read map files (yet(?)).

I'm still curious to know what program you used to convert it to a zip? I've never had trouble with tar files before.
interion
Cyborg

effigy wrote:I had the first reply here the day after I joined the Pfhorums. Perhaps there's only a handful of SketchUp users here.

I'm not sure what it's lacking compared to the other semi-available editors, but aside from the trouble I'm having with it the only short coming I see is that it doesn't read map files (yet(?)).

I'm still curious to know what program you used to convert it to a zip? I've never had trouble with tar files before.
I'm no expert on mapping, but after glancing through the tutorials it looked like some things were just more difficult to do in Sketchup than in Forge. I've given up on learning how to use it. I think I'll just grab my Mac OS 8 CD the next time I'm home and emulate Forge.

If you never hear back from the author, you might want to consider taking a look at the plugin code and see if you can fix the bugs yourself. It's in Ruby, which isn't hard to use, and it looked pretty readable.

I just used the standard tools in Linux to extract the archive and then zip it up again.
Image Image
treellama
Vidmaster

The plugin author is (?was) a MMMG member.

http://macguild.org/mmmg/

I believe his announcements of updates were to their mailing list. Unfortunately, the archives are only available to members, and I'm not about to join a mailing list just to read its archive. Perhaps if you ask there you will get more information.
Last edited by treellama on Feb 2nd '09, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Tim wrote:If you never hear back from the author, you might want to consider taking a look at the plugin code and see if you can fix the bugs yourself. It's in Ruby, which isn't hard to use, and it looked pretty readable.
I just heard back from the author and as it appears to be a windows issue he's not making any promises of a solution. He did say, as Treellama observed, that he can be reached via the MMMG mailing list.

I'll poke around and try to figure this out, but even with Ruby's reputation for being "human readable" I have zero experience using it, or any other programming language. So, I'm feeling kinda doubtful that I'll be accomplishing much.

Praise Google.
Tim wrote:I just used the standard tools in Linux to extract the archive and then zip it up again.
Interesting, though, I was able to use the "standard tools" in Cygwin to extract the tarball that 7-Zip couldn't open.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I did some poking around and may have found a solution for one of the issues I've had in Windows XP (sp2).

The issue is when closing any preference window by choosing "Accept" I get a message from Windows Explorer that warns me that the window is being closed. From what I could seek out this has something to do with javascript. It usually can only close a window it opens. The resolution I found was to open Dialogs.rb and insert window.opener = window; (becomes line 49) above window.close(); (becomes line 50).

Sadly, this didn't resolve my devastating issue with check boxes of any preference window being remembered as checked after opening said preference window. Also, a blank window remains after choosing accept (the configurable preference content gets wiped, but the window remains).

References:
Google Groups
GetWhatYouWant
About.com

Comments, please!

edit: colors
Last edited by effigy on Mar 13th '09, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.